The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 260 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Its fun poking at them. They do the same to us on there boards. All in fun. Just because they don't have 1 thread doesnt mean they dont bash us as much. Their fan base really think Cuse is beneath them because Schiano went 7-5 against SU during a era that inluded one of the worse P5 coaches in history. Thats not dominance. That's arrogance and delusion.
i agree that their fanbase for both hoops and football are immature, not knowlegeble (particularly hoops) and arrogant. we in recent years , have been arrogant re them.

actually its called balance
man_file_1114550_7_mandatory_gifs_of_the_week_8_25_16.gif

i agree that their fanbase for both hoops and football are immature, not knowlegeble (particularly hoops) and arrogant. we in recent years , have been arrogant re them.
Ok, i just have to chime in here. Why, pray tell, are you trying to find a moral equivalence between us and the “wanna-be’s/never-was’” from Rutgers? Call it arrogance all you want, but the facts are there: “RU has never been on our level program-wise, except for the Gerg Era, the worst stretch in our history”. Have we struggled recently? Obviously. But never on their level. Period.
We actually have reasons to talk isht, while their claim to fame is a Thursday Night vs LVille & a streak of mediocre bowl wins. At their peak, they never won a OBE title...not one!
Sorry, you HAVE to be a Rutgers fan trolling for shits & giggles. Your reactions smack of a typical RU fan upset that his team is getting slammed on this thread, not that of an SU fan looking to provide, ahem...”balance”. JMHO

Last edited:

How so? Lol

ub is a solid squad very respectable and dangerous opponent

Yes, they are. Its bizarre that we don't have scheduling relationships with some of the schools within our 3 hr geography like UB, UAlbany, Umass and Army.

You should include their lacrosse fan base in your description. Yet, I suppose 10 championships, 2nd winningest school, biggest fan draw, et. al, is nothing compared to Rutgers extensive achievements list in lacrosse, as on the hardwood and the gridiron.

Rutgers is a never has been while Syracuse has suffered ups and downs but is rarely to be counted out for too long. We are coming out of the long drought in football, and in basketball, even when the Orange fields of team of six players they still win a lot..

If you misread our contempt of a contemptuous fanbase as arrogance, so be it. In truth, we are only having fun at their expense, mainly because they keep offering us the opportunity to do so. Think: Court Jester, Rutgers is only kept around to make everyone laugh.

Just this Syracuse fan's take.

You should include their lacrosse fan base in your description. Yet, I suppose 10 championships, 2nd winningest school, biggest fan draw, et. al, is nothing compared to Rutgers extensive achievements list in lacrosse, as on the hardwood and the gridiron.

Rutgers is a never has been while Syracuse has suffered ups and downs but is rarely to be counted out for too long. We are coming out of the long drought in football, and in basketball, even when the Orange fields of team of six players they still win a lot..

If you misread our contempt of a contemptuous fanbase as arrogance, so be it. In truth, we are only having fun at their expense, mainly because they keep offering us the opportunity to do so. Think: Court Jester, Rutgers is only kept around to make everyone laugh.

Just this Syracuse fan's take.
yup Rutger is NY's testicles.

Ok, i just have to chime in here. Why, pray tell, are you trying to find a moral equivalence between us and the “wanna-be’s/never-was’” from Rutgers? Call it arrogance all you want, but the facts are there: “RU has never been on our level program-wise, except for the Gerg Era, the worst stretch in our history”. Have we struggled recently? Obviously. But never on their level. Period.
We actually have reasons to talk isht, while their claim to fame is a Thursday Night vs LVille & a streak of mediocre bowl wins. At their peak, they never won a OBE title...not one!
Sorry, you HAVE to be a Rutgers fan trolling for shits & giggles. Your reactions smack of a typical RU fan upset that his team is getting slammed on this thread, not that of an SU fan looking to provide, ahem...”balance”. JMHO
you know nothing about my history with syracuse fandom, which at this point i do not have to explain it to you. you also make superficial assumptions in an angry response being confronted about your attitude. you speak of our history which is fine, but ignore the history of our poor performance which is almost as long. you conviently forget the maloney years,part of macs years, and ensuing debacle (marrone excluded)
simply put, until we right our own ship it is annoying to me that we point fingers elsewhere. sure rutgers has been a mess, and i have no vested interest in them. i do have a vested
interest in our program, which does not include blowing our horn when at this point we have none to blow. i choose to respect our history. but not doggedly hang on to it and repeatedly cite it as proof of who we are. it is proof of who we were.
i have been around as some others have for all this.

As a NJ resident who works 2 miles from their campus, I can tell you that their fan base is so annoying. They believe that RU football should only be held accountable for their first historical game and the Schiano years. I come to this thread because I enjoy poking fun at the fan base that I happen to live near. A team that has been atrocious for the vast majority of their existence. I’d like to say that the last few years have humbled their arrogant followers, but it hasn’t. Joining the Big 10 has only emboldened them. Their new freshman QB is from my town here in Jersey, and I’m sure talk around here will be interesting depending on which way things go. Just my 2 cents.
This assessment of Rutgers fans is spot-on.

They are putting too much pressure on their true freshman QB and new OC. Artur is playing because he can throw a ball further than 50 yards and McNulty was the OC there when he had NFL players going against Big East competition. He hasnt called a play in 10 years.

They are putting too much pressure on their true freshman QB and new OC. Artur is playing because he can throw a ball further than 50 yards and McNulty was the OC there when he had NFL players going against Big East competition. He hasnt called a play in 10 years.

Ash came in hot with big promises and hasn't done enough to sell the fanbase on how far back they are. Now he's lurching from QB to QB to sell the future. I'd be shocked if it didn't just eat up young QB's and OC's until Ash is fired.

Ash came in hot with big promises and hasn't done enough to sell the fanbase on how far back they are. Now he's lurching from QB to QB to sell the future. I'd be shocked if it didn't just eat up young QB's and OC's until Ash is fired.

And while their offense has been putrid at times, their defense hasn't been much better.

you know nothing about my history with syracuse fandom, which at this point i do not have to explain it to you. you also make superficial assumptions in an angry response being confronted about your attitude. you speak of our history which is fine, but ignore the history of our poor performance which is almost as long. you conviently forget the maloney years,part of macs years, and ensuing debacle (marrone excluded)
simply put, until we right our own ship it is annoying to me that we point fingers elsewhere. sure rutgers has been a mess, and i have no vested interest in them. i do have a vested
interest in our program, which does not include blowing our horn when at this point we have none to blow. i choose to respect our history. but not doggedly hang on to it and repeatedly cite it as proof of who we are. it is proof of who we were.
i have been around as some others have for all this.
Fair enough. But compared to Rutgers, which is the subject at hand, we DO have much to crow about. We've had bad times at SU, but we've also had much to brag about, especially considering some of the best players in football history have played here. Rutgers cannot compare to any of that, so excuse me if I feel that even our worst history stands up to those drecks in Jersey...and I express as much.
And to be honest, my biggest pet peeve w/ this thread isn't so much that we pound on Rutgers, its that we choose to even speak of them at all. I simply don't accept that RU is worth the energy of this thread. They simply have not earned it, and it only lowers us when we give them so much attention.
Call that arrogant if you will, but I stand by our record and history...something RU has never had the privilege of having. JMHO

Looking at this from a national perspective, both Syracuse and RU are both irrelevant. RU never was and Syracuse hasn't been for a very, very long time. And again, from a national perspective, no one is holding their breath waiting for Syracuse to get back to where they were in the 80's and with McNabb in the mid to late 90's. So Syracuse and Rutgers fans arguing about who sucks worse is kind of comical. BOTH schools are playing in conferences out of their geographic realm and while you guys sit here and mock RU in the B1G, they are a closer fit to the mid-west culture than Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College are to the south.

In my opinion, both of these programs were hurt by conference "realignment". True, Rutgers only saw (mild) success when the old Big East broke up and the new conference essentially became a mid-major, but one could argue their recruiting as well as Syracuse's took a major hit when Miami and VT broke off.

Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Maryland
Miami
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

THIS should be the conference RU and Syracuse currently call home. It would be very good in basketball and still a viable football conference on the national level. I mean, it's no worse than the current Big 12. And I think had Miami, VT and BC stayed, with Penn State disenchanted with the B1G and Maryland in a financial funk, this could have happened and benefited all. I think had this been the alignment, Syracuse would have never fallen off in football the way they have and Rutgers would have come closer to realizing their potential than they have (and like it or not, in this set up they'd actually have some potential to be realized).

I also think you guys are being overly critical of Ash because a. he reminds you of G-Rob or more likely you WANT him to be G-Rob and b. the PERCEPTION is out there that Urban told him to take the Rutgers job over Syracuse. Let me first say I think Dino is the right guy for the Syracuse job so I don't know why you guys would have any vitriol toward Ash to begin with. I guess, perhaps, it's human nature because the PERCEPTION is out there he may have slighted you even though you wound up getting the better HC for your school. I think the jury is still out on Ash at Rutgers but I think he can get them to 6-6 and minor bowl games most years. If the program gets to that point, it will be a more attractive job for the next guy with all the new facilities they are building/have built and the end of Ash's tenure will likely coincide with them receiving full revenue share in 3 years.

Last edited:

Too much pressure on the true frosh QB? Perhaps. But I disagree with your assessment of McNulty. "Hasn't called plays in 10 years" may be true but it's not like he was sitting around doing nothing. Guy has coached QB's, WR's and TE's in The League for the past 10 years. Friedgen came in cold off the street after not having coached AT ALL for 5 years and had some success with them. While McNulty is no savior, he's better than you are giving him credit for and their offense will be much better having him here. It's hard to be worse than what I've witnessed the past 2-3 years.

You talk about both fan bases taking jabs "all in fun" but I do sense some hatred of RU as you pretend to be all nice on their site and then come over here and mock them without objectivity.

Jerseynole8: you have "nole" in your name but you appear to have gone to Rutgers. Did you get a degree at FSU too?

Looking at this from a national perspective, both Syracuse and RU are both irrelevant. RU never was and Syracuse hasn't been for a very, very long time. And again, from a national perspective, no one is holding their breath waiting for Syracuse to get back to where they were in the 80's and with McNabb in the mid to late 90's. So Syracuse and Rutgers fans arguing about who sucks worse is kind of comical. BOTH schools are playing in conferences out of their geographic realm and while you guys sit here and mock RU in the B1G, they are a closer fit to the mid-west culture than Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College are to the south.

In my opinion, both of these programs were hurt by conference "realignment". True, Rutgers only saw (mild) success when the old Big East broke up and the new conference essentially became a mid-major, but one could argue their recruiting as well as Syracuse's took a major hit when Miami and VT broke off.

Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Maryland
Miami
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

THIS should be the conference RU and Syracuse currently call home. It would be very good in basketball and still a viable football conference on the national level. I mean, it's no worse than the current Big 12. And I think had Miami, VT and BC stayed, with Penn State disenchanted with the B1G and Maryland in a financial funk, this could have happened and benefited all. I think had this been the alignment, Syracuse would have never fallen off in football the way they have and Rutgers would have come closer to realizing their potential than they have (and like it or not, in this set up they'd actually have some potential to be realized).

I also think you guys are being overly critical of Ash because a. he reminds you of G-Rob or more likely you WANT him to be G-Rob and b. the PERCEPTION is out there that Urban told him to take the Rutgers job over Syracuse. Let me first say I think Dino is the right guy for the Syracuse job so I don't know why you guys would have any vitriol toward Ash to begin with. I guess, perhaps, it's human nature because the PERCEPTION is out there he may have slighted you even though you wound up getting the better HC for your school. I think the jury is still out on Ash at Rutgers but I think he can get them to 6-6 and minor bowl games most years. If the program gets to that point, it will be a more attractive job for the next guy with all the new facilities they are building/have built and the end of Ash's tenure will likely coincide with them receiving full revenue share in 3 years.

NJ is not Midwest in any way shape or form. You could easily make the case that rural upstate NY has plenty in common with parts of the south.

We’re not arguing that we are relevant *in CFB* ... or that anyone should be holding their breath outside in upstate NY. Much like FSU, we’ve had dominate runs in college sports and also look down on schools without that sustained success as irrelevant (like FSU in college basketball). (Although you could easily make the case that we’ve had a bigger impact in CFB than FSU has had in MBB. Heisman winner, greatest RB of all time, national champs)

As for Ash - what has he showed us that is better than Greg Robinson?

Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Maryland
Miami
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

Let the record show that we Syracuse fans knew Ash would be a disaster when we first heard his name. We 1,000,000% do not feel 'slighted', we're just happy to avoid the train wreck you guys don't seem to realize you are in. I'm not sure how you don't realize that guy is a disaster yet, but hey, here we are. Here's the thread:
Chris Ash thread...

If you're too lazy, this is just some of the first page(there's 26 more and it gets worse):

Would be a big disappointment for me. Probably not as good a D.C. as Shafer. No offense in his back ground. No head coaching? What another guy hiring a friend?

If this is the guy he's better have a freaking plan to hire someone who is actually a good OC running a non-B1G offense.

Why would ADMC set himself up for criticism by hiring a crony with a zero experience on the offensive side of the ball?

We always get our 5th choice. Way to inject excitement into the program. I guess Dave Campo wasn't available.

If it's Ash and he makes a reference to anything even remotely in the neighborhood of "hard-nosed" I may never stop vomiting.

Can't think of a worse hire TBH

First question: What hire in our recent history suggests that a DC is the way to go?

If this ends up being true, then I'm really freaking sick of SU AD's and coaches using Syracuse to get their buddies great jobs.

He's not even the defensive coordinator - he's the co-defensive coordinator. I'd rather have Ohio State's real defensive coordinator, Mr. Luke Fickell who has head coaching experience.

I just don't understand why you make the move for this, if true.

it unchecks all the board boxes no?

Fire coyle now if this is his plan
No one cares about Drake! Fix the offense!
Why are we so dumb here?

Jerseynole8: you have "nole" in your name but you appear to have gone to Rutgers. Did you get a degree at FSU too?

Yes. RU undergrad, masters (education) FSU. Wife went to FSU too.

Let the record show that we Syracuse fans knew Ash would be a disaster when we first heard his name. We 1,000,000% do not feel 'slighted', we're just happy to avoid the train wreck you guys don't seem to realize you are in. I'm not sure how you don't realize that guy is a disaster yet, but hey, here we are. Here's the thread:
Chris Ash thread...

If you're too lazy, this is just some of the first page(there's 26 more and it gets worse):

Would be a big disappointment for me. Probably not as good a D.C. as Shafer. No offense in his back ground. No head coaching? What another guy hiring a friend?

If this is the guy he's better have a freaking plan to hire someone who is actually a good OC running a non-B1G offense.

Why would ADMC set himself up for criticism by hiring a crony with a zero experience on the offensive side of the ball?

We always get our 5th choice. Way to inject excitement into the program. I guess Dave Campo wasn't available.

If it's Ash and he makes a reference to anything even remotely in the neighborhood of "hard-nosed" I may never stop vomiting.

Can't think of a worse hire TBH

First question: What hire in our recent history suggests that a DC is the way to go?

If this ends up being true, then I'm really freaking sick of SU AD's and coaches using Syracuse to get their buddies great jobs.

He's not even the defensive coordinator - he's the co-defensive coordinator. I'd rather have Ohio State's real defensive coordinator, Mr. Luke Fickell who has head coaching experience.

I just don't understand why you make the move for this, if true.

it unchecks all the board boxes no?

Fire coyle now if this is his plan
No one cares about Drake! Fix the offense!
Why are we so dumb here?

Barbers is perfect for Syracuse. Playing inside and your away games down south is great for throwing it 50+ times per game. Plus if you are going to sell a program to high school kids, Babers' brand of football is a lot more attractive. I haven't followed recruiting rankings in years but I'm sure it reflects there.

Not sure if Ash is in disaster territory yet. Terry Shea was a “disaster”. G-Rob was a “disaster”. I’ve seen two seasons with improvement from year one to year two. They did win 3 conference games last year. I think it took Schiano 4 years to win a total of 3 big east games. I’m realistic in that Ash’s ceiling at RU is 6-6. And it’s going to be a boring 6-6. Like Iowa boring. That’s how he’s rebuilding this thing. He’s using the Fry/Alvarez model and in that division that will get you 6-6 (if successful). The premise is if you can be physical and deep along your OL and your front 7 on D, you will at least be competitive every year. Then if you get the QB and/or the tertiary skill players, maybe you have a nice season here and there.

If there is no improvement or he backslides below 4-8 this year then yeah, i’ll agree he’s heading into dangerous territory. I wouldn’t call him Terry Shea or G-Rob though. More like Shaffer. But I agree he's boring and so is the style of play he's bringing. FWIW, I was never a huge Schiano fan and while Ash isn't the recruiter Schiano was, I think he's a better X's and O's guy. Schiano is just a salesman who was all smoke and mirrors outside of one season. Schiano sure does know how to market himself and his football programs though, I will give him that.

Last edited: