The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Last edited:
Oh, to be young again. There was a time, not long before GRob took over, that Rutgers was circled as a win. Every. Year. No questions asked. When you routinely beat up someone, they are not a rival. PSU has no regard for Rutgers. WVU has no regard for Rutgers. Pitt has no regard for Rutgers. Etc. Etc. Etc.

v. PSU, 2-22
v. Pitt, 8-22
v. ND, 0-5
v. v. WVU, 4-33
v. Miami, 0-11
v. VATech, 3-12
v. Syracuse, 12-30 (with 6 due directly to GRob and 2 to PP)

As you can see, Rutgers is not a rival to older fans.
Im young. Maybe it is me. But we have RU game threads and stuff, and There is no team I hate seeing get a touchdown more than RU

Thanks Htown. I just compiled and was about to begin typing. Thanks for saving me the time. :)

I used http://cuse.com/sports/2006/6/20/fballtimeseries.aspx

Interesting. Seems only PSU dominated us, and Miami in their heyday.

My pleasure. I probably should have included BC, Maryland, Temple and maybe some others. PSU was the true dominant eastern team, if a northeast conference had formed 50-75 years ago, they probably would never have given the B1G a moment of thought.

Im young. Maybe it is me. But we have RU game threads and stuff, and There is no team I hate seeing get a touchdown more than RU

Not a problem. At least you have a "rival" in mind. Many of us grew up hating PSU (even before we knew of the pedophile protection policy). WVU was always interesting. VATech was interesting in the Big East. BC was OK. Pitt and Syracuse have never been good at the same time so we lack a hate for each other. Now, we have no real rival in our minds. Kind of hoping NCState fills that need, they are so easy to dislike on so many levels. Time will tell. I wouldn't mind if we started swapping wins with Clemson as that would be a fun rivalry. They love their football but everyone compliments on their hospitality (which I have to miss this season).

My pleasure. I probably should have included BC, Maryland, Temple and maybe some others. PSU was the true dominant eastern team, if a northeast conference had formed 50-75 years ago, they probably would never have given the B1G a moment of thought.
Ha. I actually looked at BC. On my hand written list, we are up 29-18.

Agreed PSU was the dominant team as much as it pains me to say it.

I used to despise the New England Patriots when they could never win a game. Can't say why, exactly, was just satisfied that there was a natural order to the universe and that included the Patriots losing. Rutgers is the same way. When they lose it reflects, for me, the natural ordering of things. I find it calming to see them lose, like gazing over a wonderous natural landscape.

That's what prompted my post. You look at our board and by far the most popular thread is about a school we don't even play anymore.

It is embarrassing.

I meant it's embarrassing more because they're freaking Rutgers.
Like IDK if Nebraska fans care about Iowa St but I'd guess not.

Silly. Posts on a syracuse board about any team, let alone rutgers, doesn't elevate their program at all nor lessons ours. That's done on the field.
Oh, puhleeze.
One or two posts or observations every now and then is par for the course for every message board, that goes without saying. But having multiple, continuous, constant threads, and indeed having the lengthiest one be about a program that the ROSUFans claim they "don't care about", is what's really silly, IMHO.
This isn't a one-off issue- its not like a post about a GTown (a REAL rival, IMO), or even UConn who's earned the right to be considered a rival. Its not even a UM, WVU, or Pitt who we've battled in football at different times.
No...it's Rutgers! Rutgers, the perennial doormat that has a few decent years, and suddenly they're being treated like a "rival" by the ROSUFans? IMHO, that DOES indeed "elevate" them to a level they've neither earned nor deserve- and that's what seems "silly" to me.
RutgerAl had it right when he wrote on that other thread:
" Let's face it. This thread exists because we (RU) are living in your heads rent free".
When RutgersAl becomes the profound voice of wisdom and basically mocks all the ROSUFans on this forum, then that to me is what's really sad about this issue. And, IMHO, he's absolutely right. (I just threw up in my mouth a little) The bigger question as posted by the OP remains, "why"...to which the ROSUFans response appears to be..."why not"?
It is what it is. :noidea:

Last edited:
DoctorBombay said:
Oh, puhleeze. One or two posts or observations every now and then is par for the course for every message board, that goes without saying. But having multiple, continuous, constant threads, and indeed having the lengthiest one be about a program that the ROSUFans claim they "don't care about", is what's really silly, IMHO. This isn't a one-off issue- its not like a post about a GTown (a REAL rival, IMO), or even UConn who's earned the right to be considered a rival. Its not even a UM, WVU, or Pitt who we've battled in football at different times. No...it's Rutgers! Rutgers, the perennial doormat that has a few decent years, and suddenly they're being treated like a "rival" by the ROSUFans? IMHO, that DOES indeed "elevate" them to a level they've neither earned nor deserve- and that's what seems "silly" to me. RutgerAl had it right when he wrote on that other thread: " Let's face it. This thread exists because we (RU) are living in your heads rent free". When RutgersAl becomes the profound voice of wisdom and basically mocks all the ROSUFans on this forum, then that to me is what's really sad about this issue. And, IMHO, he's absolutely right. (I just threw up in my mouth a little) The bigger question as posted by the OP remains, "why"...to which the ROSUFans response appears to be..."why not"? It is what it is. :noidea:

Sure.

------------------------------------------------

the article was written by a penn state fan...also, Penn state was already playing games on the big 10 network, and it was the RU game with Penn state
that broke records.....

to Htown Orange...the beauty of the eastern division of the big 10 is that the teams coming in at home next year are Ohio state and Michigan state...and Nebraska
from the west...so at worst, we have 3 name teams at home one year, alternating with at least two name teams the next.

getting back to the Cuse, Louisville would be a very good team to form a rivalry if possible.

its real simple for me. Rutgers got good when we got bad. Its a zero sum game. My older sister went to RU in the early 90s, so I followed them when they got 70 points dropped on them regularly. To see SU fall, as they rose was hard to watch.
RU fans hate us because lets be honest here, fo 80% of RU students, RU was a fallback, they're lying if they say otherwise. They feel a bit of hate for all the jersey kids who go to the out of state privates, SU, BC, Nova, PSU, etc, so they have this blue collar type of thinking as in those rich kid snobs.

in order for SU to rise, we need Uconn and RU to fail, zero sum game

neither program holds SU fate in their hands. Good post till the last sentence. Must be remnants of being a former Rutgers fan....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Pointing out the daily missteps of the Rutgers athletic dept is s far cry from claiming they are a rival. It's pure fun and entertainment.

neither program holds SU fate in their hands. Good post till the last sentence. Must be remnants of being a former Rutgers fan...lol

Whoa whoa whoa! I was only 10, very impressionable lol. In all seriousness, baseball was my preferred sport growing up, I wanted to go to FSU, Cal State Fullerton, Wichita State and Miami. Thats where my allegiance was in those days.

I don't know. It's embarrassing.
I meant it's embarrassing more because they're freaking Rutgers.
Like IDK if Nebraska fans care about Iowa St but I'd guess not.

Has Nebraska lost the last 7 out of 10 including the last 2 to Iowa State? Has Iowa State had better recruiting classes than Nebraska going back a decade? Is Nebraska is such a talent-poor state than they have to get their best players from neighboring states like Iowa? Are Nebraska and Iowa State competing for one of the largest media markets in the World?

Hmmmmm...I don't see the comparison at all.

The teams have been on equal ground for the past 10 years and some of the board's older posters refuse to see it. Believe me I get it, Rutgers has no place at the big boy table after 100 years of futility, what people don't quite see is that they are trying to sit right next to us and so far, there's not much we've been able to do about it.

What happens to that program is EXTREMELY relevant in regards to SU. NJ is very important to recruiting, just look what happened when we(Grob) decided to ignore jersey, our recruiting plummeted.

Last edited:
as a RU fan, I thank your for all the attention you give our program....rivals is the most active board for RU, and we will have an occasional thread on syracuse...but
the threads die off after a few responses, the same as any typical thread.

I doubt that RU and Syracuse will meet on the football field anytime soon...RU seems more focused on getting games against Washington st, Washington, Kansas, and UCLA I believe.
I think the idea is to go more national with non conference games...and I would guess Syracuse is also now less interested in playing RU...possibly because both schools feel
a bit threatened by each other...playing temple is not seen as such a threat, they appear on our schedule a few years from now.

I will follow your fans thoughts on RU with interest, and best of luck to your team in the ACC...

"Name Teams" said no one ever speaking about Rutgers

I don't get what your trying to say...all I am saying that teams such as Michigan, Penn state, Ohio state will always be a draw on the
road, even when the programs are down...

We will see if this is true, let's face it, the BTN loaded your home schedule nicely this season. What happens next season when you visit the big boys and they don't come knocking on your stadium door?

I think we have Ohio State, Michigan State and Nebraska coming to Piscataway next year. Those are pretty big boys especially when it comes to traveling where no one does it better than Ohio State and Nebraska. I would expect a similar 7-8,000 fans of those teams in Piscataway next year as we saw with Penn State.

I will say this for Rutgers, they are getting the students and young alumni heavily involved. This a good thing as long as the product remains reasonably compelling. Syracuse is starting to do better with respect to getting students, though there is still a long way to go with respect to alumni.

For this year and perhaps even next, there will be good crowds because of the novelty of the B1G and the big names coming to Piscataway. The real test is after going sub-.500 in the conference for one or two years straight whether the fan base will put up with paying B1G prices for a product that isn't winning. The novelty would have worn off, and there will be 10-15k PSU, Michigan, etc fans and 20k RU fans. Throw in a head coach that can't coach (o-fer against winning teams) and lipstick begins to wear off the pig there. I say to 'girls fans: Live it up while you can in terms of "celebrating" being in the new conference.

I will say this for Rutgers, they are getting the students and young alumni heavily involved. This a good thing as long as the product remains reasonably compelling. Syracuse is starting to do better with respect to getting students, though there is still a long way to go with respect to alumni.

For this year and perhaps even next, there will be good crowds because of the novelty of the B1G and the big names coming to Piscataway. The real test is after going sub-.500 in the conference for one or two years straight whether the fan base will put up with paying B1G prices for a product that isn't winning. The novelty would have worn off, and there will be 10-15k PSU, Michigan, etc fans and 20k RU fans. Throw in a head coach that can't coach (o-fer against winning teams) and lipstick begins to wear off the pig there. I say to 'girls fans: Live it up while you can in terms of "celebrating" being in the new conference.

One of two things is going to happen this year; either Flood will get us to 6 or 7 wins (6 is probably enough if the games are all competitive) and he stays, or he doesn't and we hire a new coach. If he stays, we are in very good shape with the 2016 class, the best shape we've been in since the 2012 class, if he goes we will surprise many people with how much money we will be throwing out there. We will learn a lot tomorrow against a pretty good Navy team on the road. If Flood can get his team to bounce back after a heart-breaking loss to PSU last week, he may very well save his job.