The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Penn state had about 7 or 8 thousand fans at the game, the university did everything they could to keep tickets with RU season ticket holders...but PSU fans are resourceful and
quite a few got parking passes and tickets...but the common guess is about 8 thou...probably almost double what most other teams bring in based on previous years.

I did not come to annoy, I do not read your board often...so I thought the rutgers al thing was an honest question...I guess Al visits here..lol...
RU fans know that we will have to win in order to keep the interest up...that would be the case for any school...

but we have that chance...as far as the Indiana & other games on this years schedule, RU has about 40,000 seats taken at minimum, not counting walk up sales, visitor sales...those games will approach sellout status also if we win our next couple.

RU has the highest rated games ever on Espn, ESPN2, SNY, etc, this from previous years big games...if RU has a game of any importance, we get the ratings...

I think syracuse would also have been a good fit for the big 10, but it seems your fans are happy where you are, and it is all good...I readily admit your basketball will be great...I do question that you and boston college will develop good rivals in football

It is my understanding that many B1G fans of other schools buy season tickets at other stadiums for good seats. We will see if this is true, let's face it, the BTN loaded your home schedule nicely this season. What happens next season when you visit the big boys and they don't come knocking on your stadium door?

Enjoy your time in the B1G. Your school was handed a lifeline/golden ticket. Your boys need to prove up or they will become the perpetual Indiana on the east coast.

And, yes, Rutgers Al visits here. He is always positive and a true Rutgers fan, we respect true fans, even if they cheer on the wrong team (read any team other than Syracuse). He has attended the tailgates with our guys and has always been well spoken of as a person, though we respectfully disagree with his sports fandom. I have not had the pleasure of meeting him in person, though.
While stationed in Dayton, OH, I recall many Big Ten fans doing that to secure the opportunity to see their team play. They would sell off the other tickets to recoup some of the expense. That was back in the mid 90's. I didn't think it would change much 20 years later.

One of two things is going to happen this year; either Flood will get us to 6 or 7 wins (6 is probably enough if the games are all competitive) and he stays, or he doesn't and we hire a new coach. If he stays, we are in very good shape with the 2016 class, the best shape we've been in since the 2012 class, if he goes we will surprise many people with how much money we will be throwing out there. We will learn a lot tomorrow against a pretty good Navy team on the road. If Flood can get his team to bounce back after a heart-breaking loss to PSU last week, he may very well save his job.

Flood just received an extension and thus his guarantee is extended. Are you claiming the Rutgers can handle his buy out? On top of their perpetual debt? Flood id likely in place for at least three more years (of four) unless Rutgers gets a sugar daddy to pay him off.

Also, if you are happy with your recruiting as compared to Michigan, PSU, MState, Nebraska, Wiscy and tOSU, then so be it. Your Christmas and New Year's plans should be safe for the next few years.

An AD has a spokesman?
The spokesman is former StarLedger/NJ.com writer who was basically a shill for Rutgers anyway. He left this year to make it official and just work for Rutgers directly.

no, just using temple as a local team as an exception to the national teams

If you say so. Since your boys are going national now, do your fellow Rutgers fans recognize that Syracuse has been national for many, many decades? While Rutgers was playing the northeastern nobodies, Syracuse was playing UCLA, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, tOSU, Wiscy, etc., etc., etc. Oh yeah, and they were not in our conference. I will keep our history, thank you, please. I'll keep our slate of opponents, too.

Unlike many others in this thread and the other, I actually acknowledge that Rutgers has shown great TV ratings in NYC when the game has some meaning and that they can do well (not that they will do well) in a down BiG until such time as PSU and Michigan start to get back to their former status.

However, the bolded part above is what caught my attention. All of the buzz about gaining Rutgers and Maryland was that they would be adding NYC, Baltimore, and DC to the BTN at the conference rate, which means being shown on a basic cable channel (usually defined as 80 or less). And yet it appears from what you stated above that for Cablevision the BTN is in the 400 range which I assume is similar to Philly where the BTN is in the 700 range and I see that for NYC on TWC the channel is 382, like I have.

Now the additions of all of those areas is great for the BiG and will still mean a lot of $$$, but all of the projections were based upon getting the conference rate in those huge metro areas, which this first year at least does not appear to have happened.

Just an observation.

Back to the RU/PSU game itself - the atmosphere looked great on TV for that game.

Cheers,
Neil
---------------------------------------

It may be true that the big 10 network is not on basic in some of the northeast, but there is a new contract coming up for the big 10 and this will be part of the negotiations...the big 10
will want to be on basic, and if the ratings for RU, Maryland and Penn state stay strong, it will be a good bargaining chip....I believe RU and Maryland were added
in the middle of the current contract, so that could be part of the explanation as to why the big 10 is not on basic all over.

to answer some of the other posters above:

I do not doubt that some PSU fans may have bought a season pass to see the one game at RU...but you have to wonder if they will also buy the same season seat the following year
when RU plays at Penn state...the answer there is probably no...so those tickets will then be offered to RU ticket holders first, which is what the school did this time around....IF RU does well eventually the home fans could take and keep the ones passed by PSU fans on off years.

If RU were to be successful they would probably box out most of the visitors from season packages because few outsiders will buy them every year.

the contract for Flood was extended with money from donors targeted for just that purpose...it did not cost the university anything ....this was done to hopefully thwart the negative recruiting by Penn state and others who told recruits Floods job is not secure and he probably would be fired...In reality if he does have a bad year he could still be fired, the increased buyout of his contract is small....

Last edited:
everybody plays teams from all different parts of the country...I am not touting RU in that way, comparing histories, I am just saying that syracuse and boston college probably will not be on our schedule...I am not trying to imply anything...because the schedule will be tough for us I can see RU playing only temple locally and maybe the service academies, although navy
is by no means an easy game...

syracuse does not want to help RU at this point, nor does RU want to help syracuse...and when we schedule each other it helps the other teams recruiting sometimes.

Your playing Notre dame in the Meadowlands, for example, would help both you and ND recruiting our area.

as a side note, playing nationally does not necessarily mean a tough team, it could be a mid level or a struggling program from out west

Rear-View-Mirror-Sky.jpeg

Someone cared enough to start a NEW thread about a thread they just looked at. That had the exact same subject matter that specifically said "ALL Inclusive".

I commend you sir!

no, just using temple as a local team as an exception to the national teams,...UCLA, Kansas, Washington
were the examples from the previous post

Don't you mean National as in...Eastern UCLA, Western Kansas State, East Southern Washington CC??

That sounds more like a typical Rutgers Out Of Conference schedule.

I don't know, maybe free tickets and food when Maryland comes around.

LOL ... yeah because we have to give fans incentive to watch crappy B1G football ... at least we were smart enough to not force it on them 8 games a season in between Howard and Rome School for the deaf on our OOC slate. Why are you even here?

wheezer73 said:
everybody plays teams from all different parts of the country...I am not touting RU in that way, comparing histories, I am just saying that syracuse and boston college probably will not be on our schedule...I am not trying to imply anything...because the schedule will be tough for us I can see RU playing only temple locally and maybe the service academies, although navy is by no means an easy game... syracuse does not want to help RU at this point, nor does RU want to help syracuse...and when we schedule each other it helps the other teams recruiting sometimes. Your playing Notre dame in the Meadowlands, for example, would help both you and ND recruiting our area. as a side note, playing nationally does not necessarily mean a tough team, it could be a mid level or a struggling program from out west

"Our area" - that's cute.

Maybe at SU with it being a better school academically the students need their sleep saturday mornings?
You must mean, "with SU being the number one party school, the students need their sleep Saturday mornings".

The spokesman is former StarLedger/NJ.com writer who was basically a shill for Rutgers anyway. He left this year to make it official and just work for Rutgers directly.
I never thought Luicci was a shill. I lived in NJ and read him for 20+ years, and if anything, he was more critical of Rutgers than many on this board. I always wondered why someone so negative was allowed to continue reporting on the teams. That's why I thought it was so absurd, strange, and amusing that he ended up at the RU AD when the Star Ledger downsized.

I never thought Luicci was a shill. I lived in NJ and read him for 20+ years, and if anything, he was more critical of Rutgers than many on this board. I always wondered why someone so negative was allowed to continue reporting on the teams. That's why I thought it was so absurd, strange, and amusing that he ended up at the RU AD when the Star Ledger downsized.
I can sort of see your point, however, we can agree to disagree. I've also been reading him for 20+ years and I've had a different impression. I'll admit that he could be somewhat critical at times, but he wrote plenty of puff pieces as well, and he definitely toed the line with Schiano.

I can sort of see your point, however, we can agree to disagree. I've also been reading him for 20+ years and I've had a different impression. I'll admit that he could be somewhat critical at times, but he wrote plenty of puff pieces as well, and he definitely toed the line with Schiano.
As they started to improve, he eased up a bit, I agree. Still, he was always brutal to the hoops team. I still think it's funny he works for RU now, but hey - a guy's got to work, right? :)

So, it's OK for a public figure, in public, to make fun of child rape? Gotcha

It wasn't public, it was a private meeting. An intern/fundraiser obviously went to a media outlet to get their fifteen minutes of fame, instead of addressing it internally. And it wasn't making fun of child rape in any sense that she was belittling the victims or the deeds in my view. If she used Hitler instead of Sandusky, would you argue she was belittling the holocaust?

It wasn't public, it was a private meeting. An intern/fundraiser obviously went to a media outlet to get their fifteen minutes of fame, instead of addressing it internally. And it wasn't making fun of child rape in any sense that she was belittling the victims or the deeds in my view. If she used Hitler instead of Sandusky, would you argue she was belittling the holocaust?
Sorry - we agree to disagree on this one. ANYONE, especially in the position she is in, should not be making light of child rape. ANYONE. Whether it was public or not.

Someone cared enough to start a NEW thread about a thread they just looked at. That had the exact same subject matter that specifically said "ALL Inclusive".

I commend you sir!

And now it's been combined with this thread so I'll get an alert every time somebody adds to the dumpster fire-- arruugghhh! :eek: