The Alliance 2.0, but for realsies this time… | Syracusefan.com

The Alliance 2.0, but for realsies this time…

So PAC12 and ACC are discussing a “partnership”? This feels like such a weak move and I’m not sure what the point is. The Alliance was an epic failure and don’t see The Partnership doing much better.

The Partnership
Why make a partnership with a conference on life support? The PAC teams that want to go to the B1G are trying to finesse things to keep the PAC together a little longer and not have to go into the Big12, which will be costly to get out of. Also, didn't the people in the PAC have any idea that USC and UCLA were going to bolt. This would have been a great idea before that happened.

Last edited:
Why make a partnership with a conference on life support? The PAC teams that want to go to the B1G are trying to finesse things to keep the PAC together a little longer and not have to go into the Big12, which will be costly to get out of. Also, didn't the people in the PAC have any idea that USC and UCLA were going to bolt. This would have been a great idea before that happened.
My understanding of the situation is it was a complete blindside by UCLA/USC ala Texas/OU. I’m not an expert in this though so I could be wrong.

Lame. Do not want. Gets us nowhere. The ACC needs to wait until the dust settles before making moves, there is nothing they can do.
The PAC and the ACC got bamboozled by the B1G when they got distracted by the first alliance, all the time the B1G was plotting to take their best teams. The PAC has incurred a mortal blow, let it die.

I think the ACC only chance of survival is getting a commitment from Clemson, Florida state and Miami they are committed to Acc if the GOR is broken then poach Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Arizona, West Virginia and one more go to 20 teams. And try to get the most lucrative tv deal possible. I don’t think Notre Dame will ever join and I don’t think this will happen either but it’s a Hail Mary plan.

My understanding of the situation is it was a complete blindside by UCLA/USC ala Texas/OU. I’m not an expert in this though so I could be wrong.
I'm not sure I buy the blindsided angle. People in the Pac 12 had to have had an inkling regarding UCLA"s finances (or lack thereof). Somebody, somewhere in the Pac 12 should have hit upon the idea that a school hemorrhaging cash is going to look for a life line. The difference in leadership in these conferences is telling as this process becomes more publicized.

Would much rather do an “alliance” with the Big 12, logistically that would make more sense with WVA, Cincy and some of their other newer/closer additions. Also like the fact of getting into Texas for recruiting purposes

Would much rather do an “alliance” with the Big 12, logistically that would make more sense with WVA, Cincy and some of their other newer/closer additions. Also like the fact of getting into Texas for recruiting purposes
Absolutely. If the Big12 can put the 18 team conference together, the ACC should go to 18(With the teams I suggested) and form an alliance. Each have 3, 6 team divisions, play 1 OOC football game and 2 or 3 OOC basketball games. It would have excellent coverage of all time zones and should get close to SEC/B1G bucks.

I like the idea of the bicoastal league. I think the ACC eventually loses some teams. Clemson, Fla. St maybe Miami. Try to keep the rest together. I think UNC likes their position of power in the ACC. The remaining PAC schools sign a GOR agreement like ACC’s GOR. I know people disagree About the validity of the GOR, I believe it is real. I think it is the only reason Clemson and Fla. St are still in the ACC. Run the two conferences like the AFC and NFC, each conference has a champion and then they meet for the actual champion between the two. To be honest, I wouldn’t even mind if they added the Big 12 for a third conference. I like the ACC and PAC 10.

Am I the only one who thinks joining with the pac would be fun/entertaining?

Already a built in potential rivalry with UW basketball.

U of A seems like a program clone of ours in hoops.

Getting the opportunity to play at Oregon and ASU in football?

Pretty sweet. We’d be the premier basketball league too if Duke stays.

I like the bi-coastal element personally. Would make for some really cool crossover games. Schools with rich history in non-revenue sports too.

I like the bi-coastal element personally. Would make for some really cool crossover games. Schools with rich history in non-revenue sports too.
An East and West set up like that leaves a lot of flexibility and growth potential on the table. Good balance and sexy markets.

Duke will be all dressed up with no where to go. They are included in the Big 10 SEC future plans.

So PAC12 and ACC are discussing a “partnership”? This feels like such a weak move and I’m not sure what the point is. The Alliance was an epic failure and don’t see The Partnership doing much better.

The Partnership
The Alliance was severely undercut by the B10, who has faced limited scrutiny in the last week as to their back-handed dealings. Supposedly, the Bruins and Trojans approached the B10. I believe that. And I understand that Kevin Warren had to do what he had to do.

But ... this deal (just like the OU/Texas deal last summer) has created severe upheaval for ~30 other schools (from the ACC to the Big12 to the Pac12).

This prioritization for max money over (sometimes) winning (example: Maryland), tradition (Penn State), relationships (Syracuse), academic integrity (ACC, B10) is not what the masses want. They don't. The only folks that want this are the conference commissioners, maybe the university presidents and the ADs who will earn bonuses for revenue gained.

The masses do not want a JV NFL. They want college football. They want the traditional rivalries. They want the bands. They want the occasional excitement that comes with an intersectional contest that happens rarely (like when OU played a home-and-home with Tennessee ... now they'll play every other year or something close to that). They want to see Navy's wishbone against ND, etc.

This consolidation of power/$ is going to hinder Fall Saturdays for years to come. Not much different than this:

According to Institute for Policy Studies analysis of Forbes data, the combined wealth of all U.S. billionaires increased by $2.071 trillion (70.3 percent) between March 18, 2020 and October 15, 2021, from approximately $2.947 trillion to $5.019 trillion.

College football is radically different than it was 20 years ago and it is only getting worse. *Sigh*

Sounds inconsistent, and it might be, but I hope above all that SU has a seat at the table. And SU's hands have blood on them, too, as our departure was the tipping point in the demise of the Big East.

The Alliance was severely undercut by the B10, who has faced limited scrutiny in the last week as to their back-handed dealings. Supposedly, the Bruins and Trojans approached the B10. I believe that. And I understand that Kevin Warren had to do what he had to do.

But ... this deal (just like the OU/Texas deal last summer) has created severe upheaval for ~30 other schools (from the ACC to the Big12 to the Pac12).

This prioritization for max money over (sometimes) winning (example: Maryland), tradition (Penn State), relationships (Syracuse), academic integrity (ACC, B10) is not what the masses want. They don't. The only folks that want this are the conference commissioners, maybe the university presidents and the ADs who will earn bonuses for revenue gained.

The masses do not want a JV NFL. They want college football. They want the traditional rivalries. They want the bands. They want the occasional excitement that comes with an intersectional contest that happens rarely (like when OU played a home-and-home with Tennessee ... now they'll play every other year or something close to that). They want to see Navy's wishbone against ND, etc.

This consolidation of power/$ is going to hinder Fall Saturdays for years to come. Not much different than this:

According to Institute for Policy Studies analysis of Forbes data, the combined wealth of all U.S. billionaires increased by $2.071 trillion (70.3 percent) between March 18, 2020 and October 15, 2021, from approximately $2.947 trillion to $5.019 trillion.

College football is radically different than it was 20 years ago and it is only getting worse. *Sigh*

Sounds inconsistent, and it might be, but I hope above all that SU has a seat at the table. And SU's hands have blood on them, too, as our departure was the tipping point in the demise of the Big East.
In all fairness to us, Miami , Va Tech and Boston College left long before we did. It is of course true that we would have left if we were taken. But, we weren't and we didn't. And the demise of the Big east can also be laid at the feet of the Catholic basketball schools who wouldn't take Penn St back in the day. We left to protect our football program. Not just for cash.

Duke will be all dressed up with no where to go. They are included in the Big 10 SEC future plans.
I can understand UNC leaving. But Duke has a great thing going where it currently is.