The Alliance 2.0, but for realsies this time… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Alliance 2.0, but for realsies this time…

Travel is a very big deal
Sure, for some of your sports and maybe for students athletes that take schooling seriously. But from a cost standpoint with a new conference TV deal it wouldn't be anymore then it is now.

Not sure what form the Partnership will take other than probably some type of ACC - PAC championship game. Maybe that game would give teams another $5M? each. Other than that, remains to be seen if ESPN sweetens the deal with the ACC. However, I like the Partnership talk largely because it roadblocks the PAC and Big 12 from merging which would put the ACC in 4th place and sinking.

I think the Ivy League is looking really good right now: student oriented, geographically compact, common cause, great rivalies, athletics in proper proportion to University mission. Since I don't think SU will be included or succeed in a Pro-college environment, I would like SU to consider being in a similar self contained NE league with Boston College, WVU, etc.
Sounds nice...but if it happens...look for crowds of 8-12,000.

I think the Ivy League is looking really good right now: student oriented, geographically compact, common cause, great rivalies, athletics in proper proportion to University mission. Since I don't think SU will be included or succeed in a Pro-college environment, I would like SU to consider being in a similar self contained NE league with Boston College, WVU, etc.
Give me BC, WVU, Army, Navy, Pitt, Temple, and a couple of others, and I would not be heart-broken.

ACC - PAC basketball challenge. Year 1. Washington @ Syracuse.

Make. It. Happen.
That’s literally the only matchup that interest me but we have to make it happen this year.

I see Mike Hopkins (if he's still there) playing a road game in the Dome. JB, however, will not be on the opposing bench, probably will be watching from the stands.

Officials from the ACC and Pac-12 are discussing a broadcasting partnership with ESPN that would bring together the two Power 5 leagues from opposite coasts for a mutually beneficial relationship, sources tell Sports Illustrated.

The proposal, still in its infancy, heavily involves the ESPN-owned ACC Network. Under the plan, the ACC Network—or a renamed entity combining the two leagues—will have exclusive rights to broadcast Pac-12 games to West Coast households through ESPN cable providers. The agreement is not a merger or consolidation of the leagues but is instead built around a media rights agreement with the worldwide leader in sports—an effort to clap back at the Pac-12’s loss of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten.

While the joint move could feature marquee nonconference matchups from the West and East Coasts—think Clemson-Washington or Miami-Oregon—the primary reason behind the partnership is the TV property. This would replace the failed Pac-12 Network with a reliable provider that can reach millions of homes out west.

The potential agreement could conceivably benefit all involved: The ACC is expected to receive long-sought additional television revenue; ESPN gets a piece of Pac-12 inventory; and the Pac-12 presumably stays intact, with its 10 remaining members getting an attractive TV arrangement. It might also be a more desirable alternative for Pac-12 schools than looking to join the Big 12. At least one Pac-12 source disputed reports of “serious” talks between some remaining schools and the Big 12.

Officials from the ACC and Pac-12 are discussing a broadcasting partnership with ESPN that would bring together the two Power 5 leagues from opposite coasts for a mutually beneficial relationship, sources tell Sports Illustrated.

The proposal, still in its infancy, heavily involves the ESPN-owned ACC Network. Under the plan, the ACC Network—or a renamed entity combining the two leagues—will have exclusive rights to broadcast Pac-12 games to West Coast households through ESPN cable providers. The agreement is not a merger or consolidation of the leagues but is instead built around a media rights agreement with the worldwide leader in sports—an effort to clap back at the Pac-12’s loss of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten.

While the joint move could feature marquee nonconference matchups from the West and East Coasts—think Clemson-Washington or Miami-Oregon—the primary reason behind the partnership is the TV property. This would replace the failed Pac-12 Network with a reliable provider that can reach millions of homes out west.

The potential agreement could conceivably benefit all involved: The ACC is expected to receive long-sought additional television revenue; ESPN gets a piece of Pac-12 inventory; and the Pac-12 presumably stays intact, with its 10 remaining members getting an attractive TV arrangement. It might also be a more desirable alternative for Pac-12 schools than looking to join the Big 12. At least one Pac-12 source disputed reports of “serious” talks between some remaining schools and the Big 12.
In order to survive the ACC needs a lot more TV revenue. Double the current amounts, but sadly the long term deal may kill the ACC. Syracuse should jump to the Big10 if they will have them.

Wonder why no interest by PAC in adding San Diego State. They just built a new 35,000 seat stadium and the Chargers left town. Nice media market. Good roadie.
San Diego is a great city that supports its teams; even though there is so much to do outside besides watching. I’ve lived in San Diego the past 20 years and it’s a fantastic place.

San Diego is a great city that supports its teams; even though there is so much to do outside besides watching. I’ve lived in San Diego the past 20 years and it’s a fantastic place.
I’ll have been here in San Diego, 21 years this September. It’s the best.

Wearing orange colored glasses, here’s an idea that would be a great solution for Syracuse.

1. BIG invites ND, Stanford, Oregon and UW
2. SEC takes UNC FSU Clemson and Miami

New ACC/PAC combine in a loose partnership with the championship game in Vegas. By adding UCF and South Florida the ACCEast remains relevant in Florida.

Under this scenario we would cement ourselves as the 3rd power conference by adding the public Big 12.

ACCEast (3+5/5)+ 2PAC = 10 Games
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State
Wake Forest
Duke
Georgia Tech
South Florida
UCF

PACWest (3+5/5)+ 2ACC = 10 Games
California
Arizona
Arizona St
Oregon St
Washington St
Boise St
San Diego St
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Iowa St
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Houston

Last edited:
I agree...would totally love the PAC10 to add SDSU and either BYU or Boise St.

This all just sucks. I can't see any way this ends well. Our best chance was a PAC-ACC mega conference that INCLUDED Clemson and FSU

Wearing orange colored glasses, here’s an idea that would be a great solution for Syracuse.

1. BIG invites ND, Stanford, Oregon and UW
2. SEC takes UNC FSU Clemson and Miami

New ACC/PAC combine in a loose partnership with the championship game in Vegas. By adding UCF and South Florida the ACCEast remains relevant in Florida.

Under this scenario we would cement ourselves as the 3rd power conference by adding the public Big 12.

ACCEast (3+5/5)+ 2PAC = 10 Games
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State
Wake Forest
Duke
Georgia Tech
South Florida
UCF

PACWest (3+5/5)+ 2ACC = 10 Games
California
Arizona
Arizona St
Oregon St
Washington St
Boise St
San Diego St
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Iowa St
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Houston

3rd conference, yes. "Power"? Eh...

I have no idea what will come of the ACC or whatever other conference we might join in my lifetime, but we will continue to be STH no matter what.

How soon our ND fans forget about 2020 sigh...always about ND
How long should we care? Both parties benefited from the arrangement. That season assured we would never join the acc. The fans hated it.