The APR | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The APR

they have a free scholly; why not give to a current walk on to improve the numbers? BTW, isn't that one of the benefits of Drummond being a walk on? His bolting early while in bad standing has no effect.

they have a free scholly; why not give to a current walk on to improve the numbers? BTW, isn't that one of the benefits of Drummond being a walk on? His bolting early while in bad standing has no effect.

Wasn't Reese on Scholie this past year, as well as in 2010? I'd imagine, like they have done in the past, that if we don't utilize all 13 scholies, then a walk-on or two will "earn" one for the year. That's definitely a good thing for those kids and helpful for the APR. Going into next year, it looks like we currently have just 10 scholarship players assuming Mookie returns. With Noel hopefully snagging the 11th, it'd be nice to give Hoffman and Lyde-Cajuste a scholie for their senior years as a thank you and a boost to the APR.

I'm not sure what happens when a player stops playing basketball for family reasons and leaves the school. I think he would probably get some kind of waiver, but the player would have to substantiate the claim he left for a legitimate family reason (I would imagine).
This was Riley's situation. It's possible that he contributed a 3/3 last year.

Keep in mind that the overall APR is a rolling average in which each semester weighted separately.

Overall APR = 1000 * (all earned credits for past 8 semesters) / (all possible credits for past 8 semesters)

I don't think so. The really bad Jonny/Devo/Paul year is off the books soon, and we had a perfect score in 09-10, and probably a perfect score last year, so our four year average should be solid.

The 2009 season and the 2012 season will both be in the score for the 2014 tournament. That is the trouble year; potentially.

I have a couple of questions. Who determines if a player is in academic good standing? I mean does the NCAA require a minimum GPA and if so, is it different than the schools? When I was in college decades ago, I was in good standing with a 1.6 or 1.7 GPA after my freshman year. That was the school standard. But the NCAA at the time required a 2.0. Also, does a player have to have a declared major? These guys who are one and doners could be taking "general studies" in advance of declaring a major and get away with taking just basic courses and get minimum grades. And a long these lines, it is completely possible to be in good standing and not be able to graduate after 4 years. You could have the GPA, you could have the credit hours but maybe not the right ones. I guess I don't understand the wavier for going pro. How does that work? Does a 1 and doner who completes his first year and gets a wavier get 1/1 (or 2/2) but then you don't have to worry about 0/3 for the next 3 years for him? Why wouldn't a school ask for that for Fab. Get 1/2?

The 2009 season and the 2012 season will both be in the score for the 2014 tournament. That is the trouble year; potentially.

Yep, that was the main point of my over lengthy OP. The 1000 in 2010 and maybe even 2011 will help a lot but it could be close.

I have a couple of questions. Who determines if a player is in academic good standing? I mean does the NCAA require a minimum GPA and if so, is it different than the schools? When I was in college decades ago, I was in good standing with a 1.6 or 1.7 GPA after my freshman year. That was the school standard. But the NCAA at the time required a 2.0. Also, does a player have to have a declared major? These guys who are one and doners could be taking "general studies" in advance of declaring a major and get away with taking just basic courses and get minimum grades. And a long these lines, it is completely possible to be in good standing and not be able to graduate after 4 years. You could have the GPA, you could have the credit hours but maybe not the right ones. I guess I don't understand the wavier for going pro. How does that work? Does a 1 and doner who completes his first year and gets a wavier get 1/1 (or 2/2) but then you don't have to worry about 0/3 for the next 3 years for him? Why wouldn't a school ask for that for Fab. Get 1/2?

NCAA has GPA and credits earned rules. GPA is a sliding scale based on year. 2.0 is for a senior. 1.9 for a junior, etc.

Yep, that was the main point of my over lengthy OP. The 1000 in 2010 and maybe even 2011 will help a lot but it could be close.

Yeah, i've looked at it also; if last year was a 1,000 then I think we'll be ok, but anything less than that and you could get into a trouble area. If Dion takes care of the work, then I think we'll be fine either way though.

One question I have. Does Brandon Reese count towards the APR in the years that he was on scholarship? I'm not sure why he wouldn't, but I could see there being rules against that.

HorseS**t Rule with HorseS**T Rulemakers Investigate the NCAA.

One question I have. Does Brandon Reese count towards the APR in the years that he was on scholarship? I'm not sure why he wouldn't, but I could see there being rules against that.

I believe he does.

Yeah, i've looked at it also; if last year was a 1,000 then I think we'll be ok, but anything less than that and you could get into a trouble area. If Dion takes care of the work, then I think we'll be fine either way though.

When did/does the 930 go into place? They raised it from 925 but I don't remember if it was immediate or in the next couple years.

When did/does the 930 go into place? They raised it from 925 but I don't remember if it was immediate or in the next couple years.

Believe it is next year; don't quote me though because it seems hard for me to get concrete info on it.

Was he on 'ship this year? I know he was in '10 and '11 but if those were 1000 anyway, it doesn't really help us.

Don't know if he was this year.

The 930 is in full effect in 2014. That is for NCAAT bans and will go as follows:

"In August, the board approved raising the four-year Academic Progress Rate cutline from 900 to 930 and linking that cutline to eligibility for postseason play. On Thursday, it passed a four-year plan to phase in the new requirements."
"During the first two years, 2012-13 and 2013-14, teams scoring below 900 on the four-year average would be ineligible for postseason play unless the averaged 930 on the two most recent years of data. In 2014-15, teams that do not hit the 930 mark would be ineligible unless they averaged 940 in the two most recent years. After that, everyone must hit 930, no exceptions."

The 930 is in full effect in 2014. That is for NCAAT bans and will go as follows:

"In August, the board approved raising the four-year Academic Progress Rate cutline from 900 to 930 and linking that cutline to eligibility for postseason play. On Thursday, it passed a four-year plan to phase in the new requirements."
"During the first two years, 2012-13 and 2013-14, teams scoring below 900 on the four-year average would be ineligible for postseason play unless the averaged 930 on the two most recent years of data. In 2014-15, teams that do not hit the 930 mark would be ineligible unless they averaged 940 in the two most recent years. After that, everyone must hit 930, no exceptions."

Interesting, I didn't know that.

So in 2014 you just need a 900 for your 4 year average, is that what I am to understand? If so, we should pretty much be fine. Thought it was 930.

Was he on 'ship this year? I know he was in '10 and '11 but if those were 1000 anyway, it doesn't really help us.
Yes, it does.

My understanding is that all years are not necessarily equal (e.g. you can't simply average the 4 years). A year with 13 scholarship players weighs more than a year with fewer scholarship players.

Hence the formula:

Overall APR = 1000 * (all earned credits for past 8 semesters) / (all possible credits for past 8 semesters)

The maximum possible credits on an always full basketball team = 13 * 8 * 2 = 208
That's 13 scholarship athletes, 8 semesters, 2 possible credits per player per semester.

If a program toggles between 11 and 12 scholarship athletes, the maximum possible credits is:
(11 * 4 * 2) + (12 * 4 * 2) = 88 + 96 = 184
That's 11 scholarships, 4 semesters, 2 possible credits per player per semester;
and 12 scholarships, 4 semesters, 2 possible credits per player per semester.

A single poor student on scholarship makes more impact on a team with 10 scholarship athletes than he would on a team with 13 scholarship athletes.

So in 2014 you just need a 900 for your 4 year average, is that what I am to understand? If so, we should pretty much be fine. Thought it was 930.

I'm pretty sure it is 925 right now.

If this is that confusing for the hardcore experts on here to nail this down as a team, I wonder if it ever lingers in the minds of recruits regardless of the sales pitch JB and other coaches give the kids?

12-13 it's 900 over 4 years or 930 over 2 most recent
13-14 it's 900 over 4 years or 930 over 2 most recent
14-15 it's 930 over 4 years or 940 over 2 most recent
15-16 and on it's 930 over 4 years

The maximum divisor over 4 years would be 52x4 or 208, so assuming 13 scholarships, that would be a 194/208 or 14 lost points over 4 years, if a team maxes out at 13 scholarships every year. That's up to four 1/4 players, or one a year with a 2/4 thrown in. Less scholarships, makes every player count more though, which is a slight flaw in the plan. That could also be 7 one and done players in four years not bothering to finish their second semester, or almost 2 a year.

12-13 it's 900 over 4 years or 930 over 2 most recent
13-14 it's 900 over 4 years or 930 over 2 most recent
14-15 it's 930 over 4 years or 940 over 2 most recent
15-16 and on it's 930 over 4 years

The maximum divisor over 4 years would be 52x4 or 208, so assuming 13 scholarships, that would be a 194/208 or 14 lost points over 4 years, if a team maxes out at 13 scholarships every year. That's up to four 1/4 players, or one a year with a 2/4 thrown in. Less scholarships, makes every player count more though, which is a slight flaw in the plan. That could also be 7 one and done players in four years not bothering to finish their second semester, or almost 2 a year.

Ok, if that is the case then from an SU standpoint we have nothing to worry about, unless everything falls apart.

2009 was 865
2010 was 1000

2011 we don't know, but we think it was close to 1,000. Let's say 950 to be (extremely) conservative. Our score this year could be below 800 and we'd still make it above the cutline. If what you say is right (and as a UConn fan I'm going to assume you have spent a lot of time looking at this) then we can put this one to bed.

N

Not overly long. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on this.

Ok, if that is the case then from an SU standpoint we have nothing to worry about, unless everything falls apart.

2009 was 865
2010 was 1000

2011 we don't know, but we think it was close to 1,000. Let's say 950 to be (extremely) conservative. Our score this year could be below 800 and we'd still make it above the cutline. If what you say is right (and as a UConn fan I'm going to assume you have spent a lot of time looking at this) then we can put this one to bed.

It's what it is now, what it will be tomorrow? <<shrugs>> This is the NCAA, they crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom