The arms race and what we're dealing with here: | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The arms race and what we're dealing with here:

We are still short $4 million for the Melo Center. The University picked that up. Don't expect them to upfront any more for another practice facility.

We are never going to have the type of facilities that a Clemson or most anyone down south has. Never never never. But if it makes people feel better to think we should, knock yourselves out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why not? Southern facilities or private school facilities? We discussed Northwestern's earlier, which will be done in 2014. How about small, private, non-BCS SMU? They just did a 3 million dollar renovation to the locker room only. And yes, I am aware the money was donated with private funds. http://www.smumustangs.com/facilities/fb-locker-room.html

I think most here understand that we will never have the facilities to compare to Clemson. But we cannot bury our heads in the sand and refuse to admit that our facilities are inferior to most BCS schools. That is an undeniable fact. We need an experienced fundraiser on staff who understands these things.

Whitey/Bayside - I knew something was up but didn't even know that JB was involved in trying to get DM to stay put - this development is extremely disturbing for me for a lot of reasons.

Sorry CIL didn't mean to high jack your excellent thread that clarifies with pics. Pictures do say what a thousand words will not.

Will stop posting about JB as this is a thread about facilities.

I'm so thoroughly confused re: facilities.

We've known since the waning years of the P era that our accounting system was completely F-ed up and our facilities were woefully behind peer schools like Pitt and Rutgers, let alone the big boys. When Gross came aboard there was tons of talk about his commitment to dramatically improving said facilities.

And yet here we are in 2013, EIGHT years into Gross's tenure, and we're still talking about needing better facilities. I mean, what the hell?! Are we doing this or not? If SU really cannot get $20-something million together to build a football facility then why are we even trying?

I really don't understand.

Because I'm not sure we have the right people in place there Scooch.

We've known since the waning years of the P era that our accounting system was completely F-ed up and our facilities were woefully behind peer schools like Pitt and Rutgers, let alone the big boys. When Gross came aboard there was tons of talk about his commitment to dramatically improving said facilities.

And yet here we are in 2013, EIGHT years into Gross's tenure, and we're still talking about needing better facilities. I mean, what the hell?! Are we doing this or not? If SU really cannot get $20-something million together to build a football facility then why are we even trying?

THIS.

I remember a page being up on suathletics with a new indoor facility. This was pre-marrone. Then we hired marrone, and reno'd manley into an indor facility instead. Its crazy that we cant come up with a few mil to start this thing in min 5+ years.

Me too. And it's the nation's largest indoor practice facility.

I too like the Dome when it's FULL of fans. Most opponents hate the dome because its too LOUD when full. It is a very effective competitive advantage when full of fans.

Whitey/Bayside - I knew something was up but didn't even know that JB was involved in trying to get DM to stay put - this development is extremely disturbing for me for a lot of reasons.

Sorry CIL didn't mean to high jack your excellent thread that clarifies with pics. Pictures do say what a thousand words will not.

Will stop posting about JB as this is a thread about facilities.

Why? I've understood that JB has stepped in before to tell the powers that be to keep Marrone happy.

Why? I've understood that JB has stepped in before to tell the powers that be to keep Marrone happy.
I agree. We've talked before about how Boeheim has been underpaid for years. The added
"power" that he has can be put to good use hear in an influential matter. He's gone on record before about how this is a football school with a good basketball program.

I read something interesting on the Frank the Tank blog. Someone said something along the lines of "Syracuse is one visionary AD away from being very successful." Now, I'm a huge Gross fan, but he's not infallible. Maybe he needs to make some changes.

The need that is being discussed is the indoor practice facility. Other than that and maybe some sprucing up, the only major upgrade in the future will be a new stadium and basketball arena on south campus in 5-10 years.

After putting money into the dome, manley and the football wing, they aren't going to tear it up and spend more money to make it even better. Even Doug has said it is great. The Dome and Manley are comparable to our peers as private institutions. The thing lacking is the dedicated practice facility which not everyone has and are just getting themselves and being done with private donations. With the Dome, it was probably never a priority.

Gross talked about facilities but you can only do what you can afford. The AD has had problems in the past with the admin for spending money they did not have. I believe even the Melo Center isn't paid for yet.

Until people know exactly what the books look like and what their debt is and other financial, nobody here can just off handed say "just get it done".

I however believe they will get it done. But identifying a couple of contributors and being creative will be key. But if Marrone gets a nice NFL gig, it wont matter.

This! Translated = EBO tours Clemson facilities = then gets a tour of our renovated "Manley" 80 yard practice field. Think back to when you were 17-18, what would you think? A picture is worth a thousand words and "action" speaks louder than words.

Honestly, as a recruit, I would love the idea of an 80 yard practice facility...at least when it comes to running sprints.

Why not? Southern facilities or private school facilities? We discussed Northwestern's earlier, which will be done in 2014. How about small, private, non-BCS SMU? They just did a 3 million dollar renovation to the locker room only. And yes, I am aware the money was donated with private funds. http://www.smumustangs.com/facilities/fb-locker-room.html

I think most here understand that we will never have the facilities to compare to Clemson. But we cannot bury our heads in the sand and refuse to admit that our facilities are inferior to most BCS schools. That is an undeniable fact. We need an experienced fundraiser on staff who understands these things.

AMEN!!

The need that is being discussed is the indoor practice facility. Other than that and maybe some sprucing up, the only major upgrade in the future will be a new stadium and basketball arena on south campus in 5-10 years.

After putting money into the dome, manley and the football wing, they aren't going to tear it up and spend more money to make it even better. Even Doug has said it is great. The Dome and Manley are comparable to our peers as private institutions. The thing lacking is the dedicated practice facility which not everyone has and are just getting themselves and being done with private donations. With the Dome, it was probably never a priority.

Gross talked about facilities but you can only do what you can afford. The AD has had problems in the past with the admin for spending money they did not have. I believe even the Melo Center isn't paid for yet.

Until people know exactly what the books look like and what their debt is and other financial, nobody here can just off handed say "just get it done".

I however believe they will get it done. But identifying a couple of contributors and being creative will be key.

is a new stadium seriously being considered in that time frame?

I however believe they will get it done. But identifying a couple of contributors and being creative will be key.

The million dollar question though is will the commitment come in time along with other issue resolutions to keep HCDM from leaving between now and next 1-3 years. Thoughts?

How about UConn? Rutgers? Anyone want to search any of the CUSA, MWC etc facilities, I bet a number of their teams blow the doors off ours as well.

State school built with state money and Mr Burton paying for the other. And if you take the Dome, Manley, football wing, weight room, etc, it is better than what people portray. All the upgrades people wanted at Manley such as the player lounge, locker room, offices, the prior upgrade to the weight room, the atrium of Manley, etc were done. Now they aren't good enough.

The million dollar question though is will the commitment come in time along with other issue resolutions to keep HCDM from leaving between now and next 1-3 years. Thoughts?

If he gets offered an NFL job with the right contract I am sure he will leave.

is a new stadium seriously being considered in that time frame?

Yes.

We should sell out to Nike or something like Oregon :)

We polished a turd on the locker room. It is still closed off with little room to maneuver. While nicer than it was, it isn't exactly nice. The Dome locker room is a total , and are training room facilities are down right embarrassing and stuck in the mid 70's. The only thing missing is one of the those vibrating pads with a big rubber band on it.

It's not about what the people want Bees. It's about what was actually done. It is about what 17 year old kids see when they visit Syracuse and then make a trip to Rutgers or UNC. Yes we wanted the upgrades, and yes they are better than what they were before. But when you look at the entire package we are still far behind other BCS programs.

We polished a turd on the locker room. It is still closed off with little room to maneuver. While nicer than it was, it isn't exactly nice. The Dome locker room is a total , and are training room facilities are down right embarrassing and stuck in the mid 70's. The only thing missing is one of the those vibrating pads with a big rubber band on it.

It's not about what the people want Bees. It's about what was actually done. It is about what 17 year old kids see when they visit Syracuse and then make a trip to Rutgers or UNC. Yes we wanted the upgrades, and yes they are better than what they were before. But when you look at the entire package we are still far behind other BCS programs.

Interior design is cyclical. In 10 years, drop ceilings, wood paneling, and mustard yellow appliances will all be back in. And we'll be ahead of the curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom