The arms race and what we're dealing with here: | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The arms race and what we're dealing with here:

We polished a turd on the locker room. It is still closed off with little room to maneuver. While nicer than it was, it isn't exactly nice. The Dome locker room is a total , and are training room facilities are down right embarrassing and stuck in the mid 70's. The only thing missing is one of the those vibrating pads with a big rubber band on it.

It's not about what the people want Bees. It's about what was actually done. It is about what 17 year old kids see when they visit Syracuse and then make a trip to Rutgers or UNC. Yes we wanted the upgrades, and yes they are better than what they were before. But when you look at the entire package we are still far behind other BCS programs.

The Dome locker room gets used 6 times a year (7 if you count the Spring game).

Manley gets used 70+ times a year.

The Dome lockers should be the last thing on the priority list.

Interior design is cyclical. In 10 years, drop ceilings, wood paneling, and mustard yellow appliances will all be back in. And we'll be ahead of the curve.

In what year does the RAC come into style?

9224697-large.jpg

The need that is being discussed is the indoor practice facility. Other than that and maybe some sprucing up, the only major upgrade in the future will be a new stadium and basketball arena on south campus in 5-10 years.

After putting money into the dome, manley and the football wing, they aren't going to tear it up and spend more money to make it even better. Even Doug has said it is great. The Dome and Manley are comparable to our peers as private institutions. The thing lacking is the dedicated practice facility which not everyone has and are just getting themselves and being done with private donations. With the Dome, it was probably never a priority.

Gross talked about facilities but you can only do what you can afford. The AD has had problems in the past with the admin for spending money they did not have. I believe even the Melo Center isn't paid for yet.

Until people know exactly what the books look like and what their debt is and other financial, nobody here can just off handed say "just get it done".

I however believe they will get it done. But identifying a couple of contributors and being creative will be key. But if Marrone gets a nice NFL gig, it wont matter.
Wait, we can afford new stadiums in the next 5-10 yrs,but not an indoor practice facility?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We polished a turd on the locker room. It is still closed off with little room to maneuver. While nicer than it was, it isn't exactly nice. The Dome locker room is a total , and are training room facilities are down right embarrassing and stuck in the mid 70's. The only thing missing is one of the those vibrating pads with a big rubber band on it.

It's not about what the people want Bees. It's about what was actually done. It is about what 17 year old kids see when they visit Syracuse and then make a trip to Rutgers or UNC. Yes we wanted the upgrades, and yes they are better than what they were before. But when you look at the entire package we are still far behind other BCS programs.

Marrone and the players like it and that is what matters. Should we tear down Manley? Agree on the medical part but that will get taken care of. The Dome lockers? BFD. Why bring them up when they are hardly used but constantly discount the Dome as a practice facility?

I'm certainly no 17 year old kid being recruited, but as a parent the facilities that I would want to see be state of the art are training and recovery/medical. Lockers and lounges might impress a teenager, but I would want my son to be someplace where the weights, pool, etc. he presumably would be using every day of his 4-5 years on campus were absolutely top notch. And that the whirlpools, massage equipment, etc was completely up to the task of restoring his body.

I assume we suck at those things too?

FWIW, I find the college sports arms race to be utterly obscene. But for training/medical facilities I'm perfectly OK with schools investing. To me that's the same thing as making sure your chem labs, law library, and the like are as good as possible. Those are the things that better a student/athlete. Not XBox 360s and flat screens.

And some 20 years ago, after a tour of the Manley facility, Coach P said to me, "Tell UConn this is what they'll need to do to compete with us."

I'm certainly no 17 year old kid being recruited, but as a parent the facilities that I would want to see be state of the art are training and recovery/medical. Lockers and lounges might impress a teenager, but I would want my son to be someplace where the weights, pool, etc. he presumably would be using every day of his 4-5 years on campus were absolutely top notch. And that the whirlpools, massage equipment, etc was completely up to the task of restoring his body.

I assume we suck at those things too?

FWIW, I find the college sports arms race to be utterly obscene. But for training/medical facilities I'm perfectly OK with schools investing. To me that's the same thing as making sure your chem labs, law library, and the like are as good as possible. Those are the things that better a student/athlete. Not XBox 360s and flat screens.

http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2003/10/11/sportsmedfacilities.aspx?id=1167

And some 20 years ago, after a tour of the Manley facility, Coach P said to me, "Tell UConn this is what they'll need to do to compete with us."

He said that 5 years before UConn decided to move up to 1-A?

Weird.

I however believe they will get it done. But identifying a couple of contributors and being creative will be key. But if Marrone gets a nice NFL gig, it wont matter.

Yes, it will still matter. We will still be going to the ACC, and we will still need to sell the program to recruits.

Whether Marrone is on board or off, we are still going to keep playing football.

Yes, it will still matter. We will still be going to the ACC, and we will still need to sell the program to recruits.

Whether Marrone is on board or off, we are still going to keep playing football.

I meant it in regards to keeping Marrone.

****, even Duke has one of those giant whirlpools in it.

And not when you compare it to this: http://www.suathletics.com/facilities/melo-center.aspx

Scroll to the training room photos at the bottom.

The Melo Center is sweet isn't it? Every day we should thank Carmelo and the others that made it possible.

Hasn't Fuccillo donated $0? I thought I heard that. If so, that's interesting.

Also the basketball facilities are ******* ridiculous, particularly the weight room, considering there are 12 guys on the team.
What do you call the Rutgers trophy case?

The wait room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom