The arms race and what we're dealing with here: | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The arms race and what we're dealing with here:

This is the way business is done in college football. Coaches get interest from other college programs, NFL teams, and either take what they perceive as a better offer or get their contract extended/sweetened enough to convince them to stay.

It happens every year with the successful coaches in demand. We as Syracuse fans aren't that familar with it because JB and Coach P were so loyal, and he-who-shall-not-be-named was so bad, but it isn't unusual and in a way, it is a good thing as it means we have a good coach in place who others value highly.

I don't blame Doug for playing the game.

I am not happy TGD did not extend DM's contract earlier. I am not happy Doug was not getting a salary in line with the current market. I am very disappointed with the lack of support from our fanbase regarding the football program.

In this business, you need to spend money to make money. I hope someone steps up. Soon. As in today. As in this morning.

I don't blame Doug either. At all. I'd do the same thing, and if he comes back to Syracuse after his interviews, SU Football is in a much better place as a result of the publicity.

My problem is with the facility obsession and schools having to beg potential donors for money that isn't really needed other than having to keep up with the Jones's.

But they'll never catch up. By the time they get caught up, the powerhouses have pumped even more money into theirs.
They would if the NCAA did what you wanted them to do (as indicated in you prior post).

At this point I don't see a way for the NCAA to tell a program "You're only allowed to spend X on facilities. If a donor offers up $100M you'll need to tell them that you've already accepted your limit on donations."

You may not like how things are going, but that's just the nature of the beast in today's world.

They would if the NCAA did what you wanted them to do (as indicated in you prior post).

At this point I don't see a way for the NCAA to tell a program "You're only allowed to spend X on facilities. If a donor offers up $100M you'll need to tell them that you've already accepted your limit on donations."

You may not like how things are going, but that's just the nature of the beast in today's world.

True.

FWIW, and you may know this anyways, we spent $4M on the upgrades at Manley including the locker room, lounge, atrium, etc. And to tell you the truth, it was HARD for them to get that.

ASlso, your other thread that had links to some facilities, I looked at 2 of them. Rutgers and one other. Other than the fact that the buildings themselves were all shiney and new (should we tear down Manley and start over?), the functionality of what we have at Manley was comparable. We don't have a 100 yard turf field, neither did those other 2. The weight room sizes were about the same. I think we were about 11k sq foot and Rutgers was 13k. We have all the same meeting rooms, auditorium for team meetings and video, loung etc. Everything seemed almost equal except for like I said, the shiney new exterior. The biggest difference I saw after a quick look was as you have said, and I agreed, was the med facilities. They need to do that even if all on SU money. So what we have, even with the Manley indoor facility, isn't even that much different. Everything is still one structure.

And BTW, while great facililities are nice and all and can help recruiting, for being a small private school, maybe we are suppose to be in the bottom quartile?

I thought the meds were upgraded as well. They added a nice new pool thingy last year I believe.

This is the way business is done in college football. Coaches get interest from other college programs, NFL teams, and either take what they perceive as a better offer or get their contract extended/sweetened enough to convince them to stay.

It happens every year with the successful coaches in demand. We as Syracuse fans aren't that familar with it because JB and Coach P were so loyal, and he-who-shall-not-be-named was so bad, but it isn't unusual and in a way, it is a good thing as it means we have a good coach in place who others value highly.

I don't blame Doug for playing the game.

I am not happy TGD did not extend DM's contract earlier. I am not happy Doug was not getting a salary in line with the current market. I am very disappointed with the lack of support from our fanbase regarding the football program.

In this business, you need to spend money to make money. I hope someone steps up. Soon. As in today. As in this morning.
I don't care how business as usual is done. It's just obstinance to insist that the green bills come from donors and not ESPN. Since everyone knows how business is done, can someone tell me what schools do with giant windfall? that shouldn't be a mystery since everyone seems to know the rules for how business has to be done

They may be loyal to Doug but Doug went to them for money for the football practice facility and they did not come through for him. There are many really successful former football players that have been asked to step up and have declined to do so. If they want Doug to stay at Syracuse, if they want Syracuse to be successful in football, they need to step up like the Penn State alum did yesterday with the cash to keep DM at Syracuse long term.

If you are an SU football fan, have some money and have been wondering whether to donate it to the program or not, now would be a really good time to call the AD office and have a discussion.

Actually, no...the AD's office needs a real campaign and plan, then give. A few of us randomly chucking money over there isn't going to help. This is the problem.

I thought the meds were upgraded as well. They added a nice new pool thingy last year I believe.

Maybe they did and I missed it. I'm also basing it on the comments I'd others here and assuming they didn't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom