The arms race and what we're dealing with here: | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The arms race and what we're dealing with here:

OK so do 1 and 3. 2 is a tough sell. You could have dedicated limos driving players back and forth to the dome for less than the cost of a 3rd indoor football field.

Agree 100%

150 people twice a day 3 buses. peanuts. really though its a ten minute walk. great warm up.

if all the fball alums together could come up with 4-5 million something would happen.. we have one alum right now making almost 2 million a year.. same initials as mcnabb.. freeney made 19 million last year, harrison was making 10-15 million when he retired. Mncabb net worth is 35 million . Carter is making 2.5 a year. Gregory has a 7 million deal now. Williams is making 3 million a yr. gary anderson played 20 yrs. bullock made 5-6 million for several years, darius was making 4 million plus when he retired. greenwood played 10 years . chandler is making big bucks .

I know the guys who last 2-3 years dont have throw away money.. but you would think we have enough to give 1-200 K and that would add up.. maybe they already have but the freeney/jones center for DE would have a nice ring.
let's not assume that these guys have a lot of money just because they made a lot of money.

150 people twice a day 3 buses. peanuts. really though its a ten minute walk. great warm up.
During my brief time with the team we would jog to the Dome through the snow. This was for workouts and drills in the Dome. Some days were in the Dome, others were in Manley (pre-turf days, of course).

For a full practice that could be a pain.

Well, we shouldn't have done the current stuff on the cheap, but we kind of did. We should have done it right. So without redoing the locker room yet again, players lounge, etc.

1. Training Room is a must. Ours is absolutely abysmal. We for prehab and rehab a hydrotherapy tub is pretty much the norm these days (see the Melo Center). We do not have one at this point.

2. Indoor Facility -- I know I know, we have the Dome, we have the Manley retrofit. Dome is too far away, and Manley is shared with a lot of teams.

3. Dome locker rooms -- awful.
It's really not that hard...
  1. commit to the training room and the Dome locker rooms.
    (Can these be completed before the start of the season?)
  2. set up a proper fund raising effort for the IPF... one that is accessible to all.
    Provide a targeted ground breaking date (e.g. Spring of 2014).

Well, we shouldn't have done the current stuff on the cheap, but we kind of did. We should have done it right. So without redoing the locker room yet again, players lounge, etc.

1. Training Room is a must. Ours is absolutely abysmal. We for prehab and rehab a hydrotherapy tub is pretty much the norm these days (see the Melo Center). We do not have one at this point.

2. Indoor Facility -- I know I know, we have the Dome, we have the Manley retrofit. Dome is too far away, and Manley is shared with a lot of teams.

3. Dome locker rooms -- awful.

****, throw out the Indoor Facility and you could do those two for 4-5 Million bucks. I know Temple just did the cosmetics plus weight room for 10 million.

I don't expect a recruit lounge, new stadium retractable roof, club level seating, etc. But I do have issues with the way the current renovations were done. We should have done it properly with ample expansion onto Manley, rather than just the cosmetic stuff.

FWIW, and you may know this anyways, we spent $4M on the upgrades at Manley including the locker room, lounge, atrium, etc. And to tell you the truth, it was HARD for them to get that.

ASlso, your other thread that had links to some facilities, I looked at 2 of them. Rutgers and one other. Other than the fact that the buildings themselves were all shiney and new (should we tear down Manley and start over?), the functionality of what we have at Manley was comparable. We don't have a 100 yard turf field, neither did those other 2. The weight room sizes were about the same. I think we were about 11k sq foot and Rutgers was 13k. We have all the same meeting rooms, auditorium for team meetings and video, loung etc. Everything seemed almost equal except for like I said, the shiney new exterior. The biggest difference I saw after a quick look was as you have said, and I agreed, was the med facilities. They need to do that even if all on SU money. So what we have, even with the Manley indoor facility, isn't even that much different. Everything is still one structure.

And BTW, while great facililities are nice and all and can help recruiting, for being a small private school, maybe we are suppose to be in the bottom quartile?

Except when there is practice at the dome the kids dress out at Manley, pile into their own cars in their equipment, and drive themselves to practice.

our HS kids walk as far as this for practice every day.. further for the baseball team.

Cold

Would awesome would it be if Harrison ponied up a few million?! Besides being an aloof freak who doesn't even admit going to SU, it'd be amazing to have the Marvin Harrison Football Center.

We could call it "The Shot".

FWIW, and you may know this anyways, we spent $4M on the upgrades at Manley including the locker room, lounge, atrium, etc. And to tell you the truth, it was HARD for them to get that.

ASlso, your other thread that had links to some facilities, I looked at 2 of them. Rutgers and one other. Other than the fact that the buildings themselves were all shiney and new (should we tear down Manley and start over?), the functionality of what we have at Manley was comparable. We don't have a 100 yard turf field, neither did those other 2. The weight room sizes were about the same. I think we were about 11k sq foot and Rutgers was 13k. We have all the same meeting rooms, auditorium for team meetings and video, loung etc. Everything seemed almost equal except for like I said, the shiney new exterior. The biggest difference I saw after a quick look was as you have said, and I agreed, was the med facilities. They need to do that even if all on SU money. So what we have, even with the Manley indoor facility, isn't even that much different. Everything is still one structure.

And BTW, while great facililities are nice and all and can help recruiting, for being a small private school, maybe we are suppose to be in the bottom quartile?

I'm not saying we need to spend 20 million dollars here. But another 4 - 5 would do wonders. Take a peek at like schools like Baylor's, SMU's, Miami's, etc. We are still lagging a bit, especially in the medical arena.

our HS kids walk as far as this for practice every day.. further for the baseball team.

Yes, but typically there are film sessions and position meeting before practice, which all takes place at Manley.

The logistics to cart them up to the Dome don't make sense.

Yes, but typically there are film sessions and position meeting before practice, which all takes place at Manley.

The logistics to cart them up to the Dome don't make sense.
Id hardly call it logistics. When they need to go, give them a ride. This isn't Fed ex

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Screw that, lax bros can change on the quad for all I care.

Lacrosse.

Unreal.

More donors.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Lots of succesful lax guys out there...Making some decent cash, not millions of dollars a year but it adds up. Not surprised. In addition, the sense of loyalty of guys that played at Syracuse with regard to lacrosse is very solid... Lots of these guys still in touch etc etc.

I will say this, lots of the guys that played in the Marrone era are very very loyal to Doug

Lots of succesful lax guys out there...Making some decent cash, not millions of dollars a year but it adds up. Not surprised. In addition, the sense of loyalty of guys that played at Syracuse with regard to lacrosse is very solid... Lots of these guys still in touch etc etc.

I will say this, lots of the guys that played in the Marrone era are very very loyal to Doug
They may be loyal to Doug but Doug went to them for money for the football practice facility and they did not come through for him. There are many really successful former football players that have been asked to step up and have declined to do so. If they want Doug to stay at Syracuse, if they want Syracuse to be successful in football, they need to step up like the Penn State alum did yesterday with the cash to keep DM at Syracuse long term.

If you are an SU football fan, have some money and have been wondering whether to donate it to the program or not, now would be a really good time to call the AD office and have a discussion.

They may be loyal to Doug but Doug went to them for money for the football practice facility and they did not come through for him. There are many really successful former football players that have been asked to step up and have declined to do so. If they want Doug to stay at Syracuse, if they want Syracuse to be successful in football, they need to step up like the Penn State alum did yesterday with the cash to keep DM at Syracuse long term.

If you are an SU football fan, have some money and have been wondering whether to donate it to the program or not, now would be a really good time to call the AD office and have a discussion.

Nothing against you or your post at all, tomcat...

But it's disgusting that it's come to this.

Got a little extra cash? Thinking about donating to a local charity? Hurricane victims? Starving children in Africa?

Don't do it! Our college football team's already-way-too-extravagant football facilities need to be even-more-way-too-extravagant to keep up with the ridiculously-over-the-top-extravagant facilities of their opponents!

It's just ridiculous. I know, I know - recruiting. But part of me is proud of Syracuse U for not going overboard on these stupid facilities. I really wish the NCAA or something else would come in, tell everyone to get a freakin' grip, and put a serious cap on the facility spending. I'm usually a free market / let capitalism do its thing kinda guy, but enough is enough.

I really wish the NCAA or something else would come in, tell everyone to get a freakin' grip, and put a serious cap on the facility spending. I'm usually a free market / let capitalism do its thing kinda guy, but enough is enough.
It's a little late for that. Schools are not going to tear down facilities. Others, that are in the process of building (or dreaming about) them, need to be allowed to catch up.

Nothing against you or your post at all, tomcat...

But it's disgusting that it's come to this.

Got a little extra cash? Thinking about donating to a local charity? Hurricane victims? Starving children in Africa?

Don't do it! Our college football team's already-way-too-extravagant football facilities need to be even-more-way-too-extravagant to keep up with the ridiculously-over-the-top-extravagant facilities of their opponents!

It's just ridiculous. I know, I know - recruiting. But part of me is proud of Syracuse U for not going overboard on these stupid facilities. I really wish the NCAA or something else would come in, tell everyone to get a freakin' grip, and put a serious cap on the facility spending. I'm usually a free market / let capitalism do its thing kinda guy, but enough is enough.

This is the way business is done in college football. Coaches get interest from other college programs, NFL teams, and either take what they perceive as a better offer or get their contract extended/sweetened enough to convince them to stay.

It happens every year with the successful coaches in demand. We as Syracuse fans aren't that familar with it because JB and Coach P were so loyal, and he-who-shall-not-be-named was so bad, but it isn't unusual and in a way, it is a good thing as it means we have a good coach in place who others value highly.

I don't blame Doug for playing the game.

I am not happy TGD did not extend DM's contract earlier. I am not happy Doug was not getting a salary in line with the current market. I am very disappointed with the lack of support from our fanbase regarding the football program.

In this business, you need to spend money to make money. I hope someone steps up. Soon. As in today. As in this morning.

Reactions: CIL
It's a little late for that. Schools are not going to tear down facilities. Others, that are in the process of building (or dreaming about) them, need to be allowed to catch up.

But they'll never catch up. By the time they get caught up, the powerhouses have pumped even more money into theirs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom