The Athletic - JB | Syracusefan.com

The Athletic - JB

completely true or not, pretty cool that jb moved hak to center for the first time all year at the end of the Kansas NC game and as we all know that worked out well for us.

completely true or not, pretty cool that jb moved hak to center at the end of the Kansas NC game and as we all know that worked out well for us.
What about it isn’t true?

I just rewatched and he had pace, Billy E, KD, melo, Hak out there

I actually never even realized it till now. No center and no gmac after Haks free throw

I actually never even realized it till now. No center and no gmac after Haks free throw
Didn’t forth foul out?

Enjoyed the article and agree anecdotally that JB seems to do well in tight games. However, I wonder if JB's style leads to games becoming closer than they would be with a different style of play?

My guess is the author was holding this story all season, waiting for a close win. Funny since all games this year have been essentially blow outs (or close losses to ND and VT, which cuts against the angle of the piece).

actually I didn't make my sentence clear and left out a major part.. it said it was the first time all year jb moved him to center. that's the part if meant true or not. I edited it.

Enjoyed the article and agree anecdotally that JB seems to do well in tight games. However, I wonder if JB's style leads to games becoming closer than they would be with a different style of play?

My guess is the author was holding this story all season, waiting for a close win. Funny since all games this year have been essentially blow outs (or close losses to ND and VT, which cuts against the angle of the piece).
I’ve done the research on it, don’t have the numbers off hand, but his winning pct in games decided by 5pts or less is absolutely fuggin ridiculous.

I posted it a couple of years ago when people were bitching about the delay game “almost” costing us wins.

I’ll have to search the site for it.

Here it is:

This is someone else's research, but I've done similar before.

Last edited:
Ah yes, Boeheim's magic slide rule.

Who came up with that? I feel like it was one of SWC, Millhouse or Moqui.

I’ve done the research on it, don’t have the numbers off hand, but his winning pct in games decided by 5pts or less is absolutely fuggin ridiculous.

I posted it a couple of years ago when people were bitching about the delay game “almost” costing us wins.

Here it is:

Look, I'm inclined to agree with you. But this research does not address my concern that JB's end of game style leads to more 5 point games than would otherwise be expected.

Here it is:

A post from that thread that deserves reposting:
Boeheim has turned more 20 point wins into 6 point wins than any coach in the history of college basketball... but at the same time he’s probably lost less games that he had a 15 point lead in than any coach in the history of college basketball. His intuitive mathematics are literally savant level, but it doesn’t always lead to exciting basketball.

Best example I can think of off the top of my head is sitting next to Jake at the N.C. game in 2003 (one of the best moments of my life), and we’re both thinking ‘Holy stuff this team is gassed with 9 minutes left to go’, and Jake turns to me and says, ‘Boeheim rule - you’re gonna win if we have twice as many points as minutes left’... I look up to the scoreboard and see SU up 12, 6:08 left... Jimmy milked that to the very last second and we won!!!!!

Here it is:

I remember all that stuff. JAB is incredible with a lead with five minutes to go. Nobody takes the air out of the ball like he does.

Good read:

The Athletic consistently puts out quality content and is well worth the subscription price. Great article.
I've been thoroughly impressed with their Cuse coverage this season. They hired a young reporter Matthew Gutierrez, an SU grad and Daily Orange alum, to cover Cuse basketball full time this season and he’s done a really great job. He's also finagled some pretty great access to the team that Mike and Donna don’t seem have at the PS. He traveled with Jim and Julie down to Ithaca to watch Jimmy play for Cornell early in the season as part of a really good preview of the Battle of the Boeheims game. He got first person quotes from inside the locker room of JB’s post victory team speech after the win over VT. I ponied up the money for a discounted subscription at the beginning of the season and it’s been well worth it.

What difference does that make considering his winning percentage?
Makes an enormous difference. If JB is turning twelve point wins into five point wins, it makes the high winning percentage in five point games somewhat deceiving.

It's not a knock on JB. It's just an empirical question about his strategy.

Makes an enormous difference. If JB is turning twelve point wins into five point wins, it makes the high winning percentage in five point games somewhat deceiving.

The strategy works. That’s all that matters.

Look at that graph again. See all those names to the right of JB? They’ve all coached in more 5 point games than JB.

That graph has JB at about 112 career 5 point games since 2002

You should check out his OT record also. It’s stellar as well. They mentioned it the other night. It’s like 66%.

He does play more close games than many...but he wins at a great clip.

Last edited:
The strategy works. That’s all that matters.
The strategy may work, but it wouldn't necessarily speak to JB being a guru in late game situations.

The strategy may work, but it wouldn't necessarily speak to JB being a guru in late game situations.

Ok, then why doesn’t every other coach just do the same exact thing then?

Since it works at a well above average rate, and doesn’t require a savant to do so?

Do other coaches not like winning close games?

Ok, then why doesn’t every other coach just do the same exact thing then?

Since it works at a well above average rate, and doesn’t require a savant to do so?

Do other coaches not like winning close games?
Its one thing to understand the math. Its the coaching that gets the team to execute the strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom