The best recruiting class in CT... | Syracusefan.com

The best recruiting class in CT...

upload_2018-1-29_17-9-32.png

...belongs to Yale (as per 2 4 7, as of right now)

Yale - #110
UConn - #111

That's a kick in the pants for our pals in the east.

This is why coaches get paid lots of money.

A good leader who gets results generates money - for winning, bowls, increased admissions and alum donations.

The P, Diaco and Edsall 2.0 hires plus the AAC have beseiged a program the school committed to build over a decade.

It is a business.

UCon finding out it’s not so easy when you’re no longer grandfathered into a BCS level conference. Have to make their own bones. They still have the advantage of the short time they were given in the BE to claim as their own. But no more free lunches for the Huskies.

Yale has the best class in CT but not in the Ivy League- Princeton is #102.

UAB is 4 spots ahead of storz and their program didn’t exist in 2016

One of the great mysteries of Intercollegiate sports to me is why the Ivies bother with football.

Princeton used to play in 45,000 seat Palmer Stadium and frequently fill it in the 1950's and 60's. Now they play in a 27,000 seat stadium and frequently have crowds of 5,000 in spite of giving away a lot of tickets to local youth, etc. SU draws more than that to some lacrosse games.

The super-geeky student body doesn't care about it at all. The older alumni that used to care are now mostly dead.

Why bother?

I guess what it costs doesn't matter to them. They have so much it, some are embarrassed by it.

One of the great mysteries of Intercollegiate sports to me is why the Ivies bother with football.

Princeton used to play in 45,000 seat Palmer Stadium and frequently fill it in the 1950's and 60's. Now they play in a 27,000 seat stadium and frequently have crowds of 5,000 in spite of giving away a lot of tickets to local youth, etc. SU draws more than that to some lacrosse games.

The super-geeky student body doesn't care about it at all. The older alumni that used to care are now mostly dead.

Why bother?

I guess what it costs doesn't matter to them. They have so much it, some are embarrassed by it.
Why do schools field fencing programs?

Ivy football is fun to watch, and the traditions are fun to be a part of.

The real question is why does UConn. They have all of the talent of a mid-tier Ivy without any of the traditions.

Why do schools field fencing programs?

Ivy football is fun to watch, and the traditions are fun to be a part of.

The real question is why does UConn. They have all of the talent of a mid-tier Ivy without any of the traditions.

I agree that Ivy football is fun to watch and better than the average fan thinks it is.

But that is the point. No one watches it.

It has tradition, but no one cares.

Fencing requires very little equipment, a coach and an exercise room in a gym. It's almost like a hobby like Squash is.

But football is a huge commitment of resources.

It's like staging a play but with no audience.

UConn is a special circumstance. They rushed into DI from D1AA for the money. It was the first "greed-powered" football program.

Rhode Island, UMass and Holy Cross are beckoning them, "Come home. Come home"

I agree that Ivy football is fun to watch and better than the average fan thinks it is.

But that is the point. No one watches it.

It has tradition, but no one cares.

Fencing requires very little equipment, a coach and an exercise room in a gym. It's almost like a hobby like Squash is.

But football is a huge commitment of resources.

It's like staging a play but with no audience.

UConn is a special circumstance. They rushed into DI from D1AA for the money. It was the first "greed-powered" football program.

Rhode Island, UMass and Holy Cross are beckoning them, "Come home. Come home"
1. It's all paid for. The coach positions are endowed. The stadiums are built. The practice facilities are largely either very minimal or very shared.
2. People do care. Go to a game. You'd be surprised. Are they pushing FBS teams in attendance? No. But the football teams are the most popular teams on Ivy campuses.

1. It's all paid for. The coach positions are endowed. The stadiums are built. The practice facilities are largely either very minimal or very shared.
2. People do care. Go to a game. You'd be surprised. Are they pushing FBS teams in attendance? No. But the football teams are the most popular teams on Ivy campuses.

I just checked a few Princeton games. They had 5,000 people in a 27,000 seat stadium.

I repeat, why bother?

Being the "most popular sport" on an Ivy campus doesn't mean much. Compared to what? Ivy League baseball?

In actually watch games when they are on TV. I grew up in Princeton and am a 4th generation Townie. So I am interested, if only for old times sake. The stands look empty on the TV, anyway.

I just checked a few Princeton games. They had 5,000 people in a 27,000 seat stadium.

I repeat, why bother?

Being the "most popular sport" on an Ivy campus doesn't mean much. Compared to what? Ivy League baseball?

In actually watch games when they are on TV. I grew up in Princeton and am a 4th generation Townie. So I am interested, if only for old times sake. The stands look empty on the TV, anyway.
5,000 isn't bad for a number of programs. To be very clear, they aren't pretending to be Ohio State and Michigan anymore.

I repeat, why bother?

Princeton is well aware of their football status. To them, it is now no more important than probably baseball. I think hockey, hoops, and lax reign supreme at Princeton and there’s rumor the school will act on that. Cornell reduced their stadium size to better serve other programs, and they have a us head to head by a long shot, but it just doesn’t matter to them anymore. Princeton and Cornell view football in the true student athlete model. They don’t award scholarships and won’t pay players. They make more money from grants and patents and they are a not for profit anyway. It’s there for tradition and the Greek model of sound mind sound body balance.

Princeton is well aware of their football status. To them, it is now no more important than probably baseball. I think hockey, hoops, and lax reign supreme at Princeton and there’s rumor the school will act on that. Cornell reduced their stadium size to better serve other programs, and they have a us head to head by a long shot, but it just doesn’t matter to them anymore. Princeton and Cornell view football in the true student athlete model. They don’t award scholarships and won’t pay players. They make more money from grants and patents and they are a not for profit anyway. It’s there for tradition and the Greek model of sound mind sound body balance.
Cornell tore down the western stands because they were falling apart.

(But to be clear, that's only a minor point. Your macro point of Cornell not using them is very true.)

I repeat, why bother?

I have been to several lax games at the Princeton stadium. I really like the stadium. Great sight lines.

I have been to several lax games at the Princeton stadium. I really like the stadium. Great sight lines.
Class of 1952 Stadium is as good a place as any to watch a lacrosse game.

The Yale Bowl (capacity >61,000) is a classic football venue and Yale's football team had only one loss this year but they drew slightly more than 10,000 twice this year in six home games. Of course attendance for the Harvard game was over 50,000.

I can see why they continue the tradition but that really is pretty small attendance.

Different stadium.
I’ve heard rumor they might remove the upper tier. As for Yale Bowl OrangeTarheel that is a historic venue and it is so far off campus that it doesn’t impact growth of the academic campus. Princeton’s beautiful football stadium along with most of its athletic facilities, does. Lots about to happen at Princeton.

Yale football is about playing Harvard at home every other year, and they draw 50K+ for that. They’re fine doing what they do.

I don't get why the ivy is so hell bent on no academic scholarships. at this point why wouldn't they try and change the game?

The Ivys compete in lacrosse/hockey/basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom