The bigger problem | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The bigger problem

Actually Jim has shrunk his recruiting from a National to Regional basis. My issue is the lack of offers which has less to do with sanctions and is more of an approach, eggs in one basket thing which has hurt us with QG and others.

JB had not shrunk his recruiting territory. We never recruited nationally on a consistent basis.

Actually Jim has shrunk his recruiting from a National to Regional basis. My issue is the lack of offers which has less to do with sanctions and is more of an approach, eggs in one basket thing which has hurt us with QG and others.
Count me as someone who thinks we should be national. The current strategy is not getting it done. Someone said recently that JB was energized by Hop's departure. Is that still the perception that JB is hopping on every red eye and rolling his sleeves up?

To play devil's advocate, let's say Sidibe recovers and becomes a pretty solid player for us. Let's say Carey and Goodine are also starter material and play 2-3 years before testing the waters. That's good. But correct me if I'm wrong - if GMAC is being groomed to be the lead recruiter -- is that "good enough"? My argument was that both his past performance and assumed title don't align with what the program needs to churn out a top 4 ACC contender.

I know there's a sense of overreaction to the Bazley situation, but looking beyond next year, he would've been a temporary distraction from the current trends. Program needs someone like Hop or Weaver to energize the recruiting situation. Someone with a history of proven results and rock solid connections. There were many who were concerned about the direction of things even before Baz decommitted.

I don’t know that Gmac is being “groomed” to be the lead recruiter. Seems like all 3 of our assistants are out there. Gmac hasn’t even been an on the road recruiter for that long. Hop did it forever. You want to compare Gmac’s short time as a recruiter to hops long career as a recruiter.

To play devil's advocate, let's say Sidibe recovers and becomes a pretty solid player for us. Let's say Carey and Goodine are also starter material and play 2-3 years before testing the waters. That's good. But correct me if I'm wrong - if GMAC is being groomed to be the lead recruiter -- is that "good enough"? My argument was that both his past performance and assumed title don't align with what the program needs to churn out a top 4 ACC contender.

I know there's a sense of overreaction to the Bazley situation, but looking beyond next year, he would've been a temporary distraction from the current trends. Program needs someone like Hop or Weaver to energize the recruiting situation. Someone with a history of proven results and rock solid connections. There were many who were concerned about the direction of things even before Baz decommitted.

Who was Hop bringing in that was much different the last few years? I feel like we have been light on blue chip recruits for some time. We have identified guys who are under rated in a sense but show up huge on a national stage, or have the measurables. We all do understand that he left 10 months ago right. Seems we are laying all of our woes at other people feet. So hear me out. 10 months ago Hop was the Head Coach in waiting and our lead recruiter. Any trend that exists has to have his fingerprints on it as well. Why we just assume life got bad when hop left is tough for me to grasp.

Why we just assume life got bad when hop left is tough for me to grasp.
From what I was reading and from Dean Francis' info is that Hop started to lose interest in his role when JB made it clear that he wasn't going to facilitate any transition. Can you blame Hop in that scenario? Or do you honestly believe that Hop could no longer relate and build relationships with recruits?

We rarely go after/or get the Top 10-15 kids and when we finally do, after a few years of mediocre classes, he bounces before he ever plays a game.

You can't bet we hit on an Oshae Brissett every class.

Recruiting needs to be better. Period. This was going to be the class to get that ball rolling and now it's down to two guys - one high level recruit and our coaches son.

We still have open schollys and have one guy committed for '19.

This is a problem. I'm not saying they can't recruit but I am saying they need to do a lot better. We're starting to get into "whiskey tango foxtrot" territory.

I think there is a good reason why he doesn't go after those top 10-15 guys, or at least land them. I think we will have to wait until this whole FBI investigation plays out to see what the real story is. There have been many times that JB has gone after them and then just lost interest in them for some reason. We might be saying thank you real soon that he stayed away after this investigation.

From what I was reading and from Dean Francis' info is that Hop started to lose interest in his role when JB made it clear that he wasn't going to facilitate any transition. Can you blame Hop in that scenario? Or are you saying that Hop could no longer relate and build relationships with recruits?

Nope you are essentially making my argument for me. So Hop lost his fire and his heart wasn't in it. That happened while he was still in charge of recruiting. He is partially responsible for the negative trend you referenced. you cant simply overlook his part in it, and use the results as a condemnation on the existing staff. Regardless of how justified it was Hop played a big part in getting us where we are at this exact moment. so didn't JB and the remaining staff, If we don't put together a good class for 2019 I will be right there with you

syracuse hoops has some major issues and if you think the head honcho for the past 4 decades bears no blame then you're smoking easter basket grass.

Your takes crack me up! :)

Can JB and this staff recruit? So far the results have been dismal. We seem to be behind on everyone of our top recruits. The number of offers we extend is anemic. We are an international brand yet we recruit regionally...

Speaking of which, aren’t we like #3 in the US or something for having consecutive first round NBA picks?

nobody wants SYRACUSE hoops to be GREAT again more than me. but what i'm watching now in no way resembles the program i watched in the eighties.
same coach but an extremely different philosophy of play which has not borne the same results. goal is a top ranked powerhouse team in D1 ball. we ain't that!

Nope you are essentially making my argument for me. So Hop lost his fire and his heart wasn't in it. That happened while he was still in charge of recruiting. He is partially responsible for the negative trend you referenced. you cant simply overlook his part in it, and use the results as a condemnation on the existing staff. Regardless of how justified it was Hop played a big part in getting us where we are at this exact moment. so didn't JB and the remaining staff, If we don't put together a good class for 2019 I will be right there with you
Hop got us Battle.

Jim Boeheim, Mike Hopkins meet with prized prospect Tyus Battle: 'It went really well'

Hop staying in contact with Gary Battle after Tyus initially commited to Michigan got us the flip.

Hop left because JB didn’t want to retire.

I don’t care if GMac is an assistant. I really don’t care if he is a good recruiter as he did enough with Sidibe. I just don’t want him to be the next HC.

syracuse hoops has some major issues and if you think the head honcho for the past 4 decades bears no blame then you're smoking easter basket grass.

I think the problem is that much like a lot of things in life people think it is an either or scenario all of the time. JB has his flaws and ultimately needs to own every bit of where they are today. That doesn't mean that other factors or people didnt play a part.

Hop got us Battle.

Jim Boeheim, Mike Hopkins meet with prized prospect Tyus Battle: 'It went really well'

Hop staying in contact with Gary Battle after Tyus initially commited to Michigan got us the flip.

Hop left because JB didn’t want to retire.

I don’t care if GMac is an assistant. I really don’t care if he is a good recruiter as he did enough with Sidibe. I just don’t want him to be the next HC.

i dont disagree with that on the HC front. I will ask if we want to reference Battle as a great hop get, can we give credit to anyone for snagging Carey?

There are no problems, 7 days ago JB was the greatest coach in the game, now everyone is throwing out nonsense based on what a 17 year old kid decides to do within a 24 hour span?
Trust me, this has NOTHING to do with anything except a kid who was sold by an agent and marketing arms of 2 major sponsors on going to the G L. He is not making 26K, much, much more.
Out of our control, nothing to do with our program, much bigger conversation regarding nba/ncaa rules.

That's the story - there is no story.

Stop with the nonsense re JB, it is so ridiculous and pathetic. You have no idea how good we have it. Go root for another team and who is our next coach? Chris Mack getting $4M per year, do you think we are paying that in 3 years from now?

i dont disagree with that on the HC front. I will ask if we want to reference Battle as a great hop get, can we give credit to anyone for snagging Carey?
Carey’s primary recruiter was Red Autry.
Autry did the work on Carey with JB closing.

There are no problems, 7 days ago JB was the greatest coach in the game, now everyone is throwing out nonsense based on what a 17 year old kid decides to do within a 24 hour span?
Trust me, this has NOTHING to do with anything except a kid who was sold by an agent and marketing arms of 2 major sponsors on going to the G L. He is not making 26K, much, much more.
Out of our control, nothing to do with our program, much bigger conversation regarding nba/ncaa rules.

Stop with the nonsense re JB, it is so ridiculous and pathetic. You have no idea how good we have it. Go root for another team and who is our next coach? Chris Mack getting $4M per year, do you think we are paying that in 3 years from now?

Any idea where the staff goes from here?

The bright side is that it has allowed some posters who didn’t say much during the NCAA run to now post to their hearts contents.

The bright side is that it has allowed some posters who didn’t say much during the NCAA run to now post to their hearts contents.
Yeah, because the criticism isn’t legit.
The program is fine.
No reason to worry.
People actually enjoyed the run how dare they.
The concerns are all legit.
We lost our most talented recruit in a decade, don’t have a full roster and need our 73 year old HC actually go and get 4-6 commits this summer.
No worries.

Yeah, because the criticism isn’t legit.
The program is fine.
No reason to worry.
People actually enjoyed the run how dare they.
The concerns are all legit.
We lost our most talented recruit in a decade, don’t have a full roster and need our 73 year old HC actually go and get 4-6 commits this summer.
No worries.

The program lost a recruit to an historical decision.

You have a pattern of making up facts. Now add crybaby overreaction to the LinkedIn skills.

The program lost a recruit to an historical decision.

You have a pattern of making up facts. Now add crybaby overreaction to the LinkedIn skills.
Yeah I made up facts.
What a joke this post is.
All is well. Your right.

Maybe John Skipper forced him out of college?
Yeah I really made stuff about Skipper. Go get your shine box buddy.
Skipper didn’t leave on his own volition. If all he had was a substance abuse problem his job would have been there for him after treatment.
He left.
Think whatever you want. I could give a crap what you think of me.

Good god what a joke. I never claimed I had inside info on that incident. You believe whatever you want. I ignored your post because all it wanted was a pissing match.

Again? You didn’t even mention Sidibe.

Which part of kcsu’s info? He’s been all over the board and tossed out 99 reasons.
No one reason Bees. Also am i allowed to question you?