The Bottom 10 | Syracusefan.com

The Bottom 10

SWC75

Bored Historian
...contains a team we've already played and two that we are going to play, as well as an old 'friend'.

Don't look now, but there's a new No. 1 in the Bottom 10

The fact that the top two teams were, for decades in the Yankee conference made me wonder why schools like that venture forth from what had been a comfortable next in a conference like that in an effort to go "big time". Massachusetts actually has quite a history at the small college level, which includes a tenure by Coach Mac and a 1998 FCS title: Massachusetts Yearly Totals

Since they decided to move to FBS in 2011 they have gone 19-85:

What is the point of taking a respected program and turning it into a 19-85 laughingstock? What do you get from that?

Of course it isn’t, bottom 10 is never a true bottom 10 of crappness

...contains a team we've already played and two that we are going to play, as well as an old 'friend'.

Don't look now, but there's a new No. 1 in the Bottom 10

The fact that the top two teams were, for decades in the Yankee conference made me wonder why schools like that venture forth from what had been a comfortable next in a conference like that in an effort to go "big time". Massachusetts actually has quite a history at the small college level, which includes a tenure by Coach Mac and a 1998 FCS title: Massachusetts Yearly Totals

Since they decided to move to FBS in 2011 they have gone 19-85:

What is the point of taking a respected program and turning it into a 19-85 laughingstock? What do you get from that?
When they made that decision, their old Yankee conference and New England rival UCONN, had made the transition to playing major college football and was having a good deal of success at it. Additionally, it must have dawned on the PTB in Massachusetts that UMASS was the only flagship university in a large and important state that played in the FCS division. It also doesn't cost more to run an FBS program than an FCS and there is enormous upside if it becomes successful. Currently, the coach there Walt Bell, a former FSU OC, has 2 seasons under his belt and has rebuilt the roster but has yet to get it turned around in terms of winning. games.

When they made that decision, their old Yankee conference and New England rival UCONN, had made the transition to playing major college football and was having a good deal of success at it. Additionally, it must have dawned on the PTB in Massachusetts that UMASS was the only flagship university in a large and important state that played in the FCS division. It also doesn't cost more to run an FBS program than an FCS and there is enormous upside if it becomes successful. Currently, the coach there Walt Bell, a former FSU OC, has 2 seasons under his belt and has rebuilt the roster but has yet to get it turned around in terms of winning. games.
It absolutely does cost more to run a FBS program than an FCS program. FBS has 85 scholarships and FCS has 63 and that's just the beginning. Costs for facilities to coaching salaries to support staff, are substantially less in FCS

Last edited:
It absolutely does cost more to run a FBS program than an FCS program. FBS has 85 scholarships and FCS has 63 and that's just the beginning.
You get more TV money if you are FBS and you get a share of the National Championship payout. Also, as an independent they can play multiple payoff games against P5 teams.

Not going to get sucked in. Have a good day CousCuse.
The over riding reason I want UMASS to succeed is to stick it to UCONN. I still hold UCONN as one of the parties responsible for the breakup of the OBE.

The Big East would beGeorgetown a mega conference right now and the ACC would have been the one taken apart. It's great that SU got the ACC lifeline but I would much rather be part of a northeast centered P5 conference.
You mean with such powerhouses as UMASS, UCONN, Temple, Georgetown. Yeah right.

Alsacs CousCuse wants to talk conference realignment history with you
1633006081401.gif

Not worth the energy.

You mean with such powerhouses as UMASS, UCONN, Temple, Georgetown. Yeah right.
I would like Syracuse to play Temple and Rutgers so we could recruit those areas better as we use to do when the Orange were a power,

Last edited:
The ACC hasn't been some panacea for Syracuse sports. But, I'll take your silence as nod to what I'm saying is right.
No you aren’t right. I just don’t feel like debating an actor who is just wasting time because they are likely bored.

No you aren’t right. I just don’t feel like debating an actor who is just wasting time because they are likely bored.
I have followed college football for a long time and will watch almost any college game that's on. I am always intrigued with program development and research whats going in in programs and the coaches and connections involved. For instance, UTEP seems to be playing decent football and I looked up their coach who is a guy that grew up in Ohio and played at Kansas state and was a long term assistant to Snyder, so i think maybe that got something there. UMASS falls under this category, and is especially interesting because of the difficulty in being successful in the FBS in Massachusetts. If you really love college football, it's like a giant unending buffet. Just look at those Chanticleers!

Don't forget, UMass is a sleeping giant and they'll be getting that B1G offer any day now...

any... day... now...
They are the 26th ranked public school academically and they are the Mass flagship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom