The Bottom 10 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Bottom 10

They are the 26th ranked public school academically and they are the Mass flagship.
Literally nobody in MA gives a chit about UMass athletics since Calipari left.

Uconn should never have blocked Umass moving to the AAC. Not wanting a close local rival in a conference like that is complete insanity.

People care when you win.

They might lead the NCAA in attendance for hockey even though there are 10 other D1 teams in the state and its not North Dakota where its the only show in town.

Gillette Stadium vs games on conference was a tough call for them in football.

Uconn should never have blocked Umass moving to the AAC. Not wanting a close local rival in a conference like that is complete insanity.
UCONN should have never dragged their feet to move up to FBS and should have been all in with the football schools, Also, UCONN should have never sued the ACC, that cost them dearly.

They might lead the NCAA in attendance for hockey even though there are 10 other D1 teams in the state and its not North Dakota where its the only show in town.

Gillette Stadium vs games on conference was a tough call for them in football.
They improved the McGuirk so they don't have to use Gillette anymore. They have UCONN next week, which tweeks my interest in a strange way. The battle to not be named the worst team in FBS.

UCONN should have never dragged their feet to move up to FBS and should have been all in with the football schools, Also, UCONN should have never sued the ACC, that cost them dearly.

I wish Pitt and Louisville were in the Big 12 and we had Uconn and Umass as easy ACC opponents.

I wish Pitt and Louisville were in the Big 12 and we had Uconn and Umass as easy ACC opponents.
If Syracuse doesn't get the program in order, they may end up playing UMASS and UCONN in some relegated division.

If Syracuse doesn't get the program in order, they may end up playing UMASS and UCONN in some relegated division.
Nope. No way. Sorry, but you are wrong here. We may play them occasionally to pad our bowl chances, but that's about it.

I'm losing brain cells reading this thread. I grew up in MA and NEVER had any interest in ZooMass. Sports are a total afterthought and the only people that go there are the ones that want to party. Flagship lol.

If you have the grades, you're going to BC/BU/Northeastern or going out of state.

We should be playing one or the other every year for an easy W.

We scheduled what we thought were easy wins against Rutgers and Liberty and that of course didn't pan out.

Our AD has no interest in playing real teams out of conference at this point unless its an ND ACC

I’d love to schedule a series with UMass football.
Play their home game at Gillette.
It would be an easy series.

Schedule for the years we play BC at home and then the road game at Gillette.
The program sucks.

Nobody cares about it.

I’d love to schedule a series with UMass football.
Play their home game at Gillette.
It would be an easy series.

Schedule for the years we play BC at home and then the road game at Gillette.
The program sucks.

Nobody cares about it.
I remember very distinctly my mother (UMass ‘92) dragging me to Chattanooga as a 7 year old to watch the Minutemen lose in the national championship to an App State team that would walk into the Big House the next year and win.

5 years later they killed their program by thinking that they were bigger than they were

My mom would tell tales of how they used to fill their tiny little stadium to the brim when other local FCS teams would come to town. Now they barely fit 8k in the stadium (ironically, 8k almost half fills McGuirk, smallest stadium in the FBS)

what a damn shame

You get more TV money if you are FBS and you get a share of the National Championship payout. Also, as an independent they can play multiple payoff games against P5 teams.

How did 19-85 happen and is that better than what they had going in FCS?

The Big East would be a mega conference right now and the ACC would have been the one taken apart. It's great that SU got the ACC lifeline but I would much rather be part of a northeast centered P5 conference.
This idea died the day the C-7 banded together against football.

That is the same complaint that UConn brings up about BC blocking them from the ACC :p

Enough gd UMass slander don’t you guys have anything better to talk about??? I usually only have to defend the Zoo this much during the summer.

The football program isn’t dropping down to FCS and I promise everyone here that actual fans/alumni are much more realistic about UMass’ athletics future than CC

I'm losing brain cells reading this thread. I grew up in MA and NEVER had any interest in ZooMass. Sports are a total afterthought and the only people that go there are the ones that want to party. Flagship lol.

If you have the grades, you're going to BC/BU/Northeastern or going out of state.
Public school shaming, bnoro? ;)

In all seriousness, I went there to party my azz off after following the community college hoops dream and they have a really good sport management program. The business school in general is solid and competitive and the university as a whole is respectable academically. Obviously not the tier of the MA privates you listed but not miles that far behind if you look at some rankings.

My degree must hold some weight if SUCOL is covering 90% of my tuition. Lol.

I wouldn't say that sports are a total afterthought, the hockey team has created real buzz and alums and Western MA would show much more support of football/basketball if they had a pulse. But I can't disagree its mostly a chitshow in the ad right now.

ANYWAYS, thank you for coming to my TED Talk and now we can all go back to making fun of Yukon instead. I look forward to doing this again when UMass loses to Maine in November.

When they made that decision, their old Yankee conference and New England rival UCONN, had made the transition to playing major college football and was having a good deal of success at it. Additionally, it must have dawned on the PTB in Massachusetts that UMASS was the only flagship university in a large and important state that played in the FCS division. It also doesn't cost more to run an FBS program than an FCS and there is enormous upside if it becomes successful. Currently, the coach there Walt Bell, a former FSU OC, has 2 seasons under his belt and has rebuilt the roster but has yet to get it turned around in terms of winning. games.

Who's the bigger booster of a Massachussets college team. CousCuse and UMass or Townie and BC?

Did I read in this thread that it does not cost more to run a FBS program vs a FCS program?
Yes that was what Mr CousCuse claimed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom