The Buddy Boeheim Appreciation Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Buddy Boeheim Appreciation Thread

I don’t think he’s that good all around but balls of steel he doesn’t quit good guy to have on your team when it’s not going well.

Really?

I think he's actually quite versatile. He showed off an expanded handle yesterday, to to the basket more than once, etc. -- he's far from just a catch and shoot player.

I found very interesting LaPhonso Ellis' comments on Buddy, having watched him play at Brewster as a teammate of his son.

He seemed to have a dead accurate view of Buddy's game, including the notion that he's not just a spot-up shooter.
Buddy has flashed a great all around court game this entire season. The reason we have not seen more if it is because the defenses are so packed in against us we have no room to operate and for better or for worse Battle is a hush usage player who occupies the same mid-range spaces Buddy would want to operate in. Last night without Battle in the game, Buddy had more freedom to operate.

I’ve been saying all season that I do think the worm has turned and JB has realized the flaws in his system and is going back to recruiting basketball players and not just tall long athletes... Buddy and Carey are examples 1 and 2 and the incoming class seems to be a continuation of that otherwise why get JG3?

Tonight will be really interesting because I want to see if Buddy can get shots off against Duke-level athletes. If he can have a big night tonight, next year is going to be a lot of fun.

Buddy is Andy Rautins 2.0.
Which is just awesome. He is a sniper who will help stretch the defense.
Perfect role players who will have games he will just go off.
3 more years is perfect.

Rautins seemed to have a little more twitch, a little more athleticism but otherwise they're similar. Buddy's a very heady player, tries to find angles and knows not to force things. When a defender is forced to close-out it opens things up and he's learning to take advantage. He'll never be explosive but hopefully more time in S&C will help shore up his natural limitations. He's a great complimentary part for this team, but I fear he'll be asked to do too much at times in the seasons ahead, especially as scouting reports start to key on him. He would be perfect as a 6th man but we won't have enough talent on the roster to keep him as a super-sub.

Btw, if he gets shutdown by Duke's length tonight, it's ok. He's not going to excel in every matchup.

He makes plays off the dribble too. He knows how to get inside where other guys with more athleticism don't. His pass to Howard for 3 in the second half was something Battle never does.

He makes plays off the dribble too. He knows how to get inside where other guys with more athleticism don't. His pass to Howard for 3 in the second half was something Battle never does.
So true!

The Coon Dog was a voracious shooter. Buddy is a maker!

Cooney just took too many threes running off a pick, putting them up off balance and challenged by the defender.

Really?

I think he's actually quite versatile. He showed off an expanded handle yesterday, to to the basket more than once, etc. -- he's far from just a catch and shoot player.

He still has to get more athletic to become a starter, but boy is he off to a great start!

Rautins seemed to have a little more twitch, a little more athleticism but otherwise they're similar. Buddy's a very heady player, tries to find angles and knows not to force things. When a defender is forced to close-out it opens things up and he's learning to take advantage. He'll never be explosive but hopefully more time in S&C will help shore up his natural limitations. He's a great complimentary part for this team, but I fear he'll be asked to do too much at times in the seasons ahead, especially as scouting reports start to key on him. He would be perfect as a 6th man but we won't have enough talent on the roster to keep him as a super-sub.

Btw, if he gets shutdown by Duke's length tonight, it's ok. He's not going to excel in every matchup.

That's how I see Buddy, too, next year. If we start Carey and Goodine, that will be a super-athletic pair, and then bring Buddy in to spell them both for about 8 minutes in the first half. If he's hot, you ride him.

That's how I see Buddy, too, next year. If we start Carey and Goodine, that will be a super-athletic pair, and then bring Buddy in to spell them both for about 8 minutes in the first half. If he's hot, you ride him.
I'm so worried about Carey. He's our only guard who can penetrate off the dribble, but it's 50-50 if the ball goes with him or ends up in a fast break the other way. We can hope and pray that it can be corrected in the summer, but ball security is a fundamental that you learn in middle school or even younger. It's not realistic to think the coaches can reprogram his muscle memory. Did they watch him in high school or just offer based on his highlight tapes?

I'm so worried about Carey. He's our only guard who can penetrate off the dribble, but it's 50-50 if the ball goes with him or ends up in a fast break the other way. We can hope and pray that it can be corrected in the summer, but ball security is a fundamental that you learn in middle school or even younger. It's not realistic to think the coaches can reprogram his muscle memory. Did they watch him in high school or just offer based on his highlight tapes?

He's like a rich man's Kaleb Joseph. I don't like the comparison. Carey last night showed me what everyone has been griping about the whole year. He just CANNOT take care of the basketball, and that's murder for a PG.

I'll chime in and give some appreciation to our coach too - normally if a Frosh starts out shooting like that he wouldn't see the light of day until his Sophomore campaign started! JB stuck with him though - hopefully that bodes well for more youngsters moving forward! :)

Hopefully Buddy has a lot more games like last night left in him this year, and we get to see all those games play out. LGO! Another run in the NCAAT would be very nice.

He's like a rich man's Kaleb Joseph. I don't like the comparison. Carey last night showed me what everyone has been griping about the whole year. He just CANNOT take care of the basketball, and that's murder for a PG.

He's a terrific defender. He's going to get his footing on the trip to Italy next fall.
He's going to be our starter for probably 2 years and then go pro.
Book it now.

It's odd, he's like at a 100% turnover rate if he dribbles into the lane from the top of the key this year. I still see someone far more quick with the ball, and confident with the ball, than Kaleb ever seemed. I think he'll be fine next year when the game slows down for him a bit - and we should have a nice set of complimentary pieces moving forward at the guard spots. WIth Buddy knocking down a whole lot of treys.

He's a terrific defender. He's going to get his footing on the trip to Italy next fall.
Book it now.

I would like nothing more. I like Carey a lot, and am not ready to give up on him by any stretch.

Undoubtedly they watched him and saw a guy that no defender could touch. One of the challenges of recruiting is determining how these HS starts project.

Book it now.
He's a turnover machine -- I don't know if going to Italy can fix this. We have a serious point guard question next year, but we should be used to it by now.

Best aspect of the game was juli’s smile as a pride filled mother. Can only imagine how she was feeling.

I’ve never been more wrong about a guy’s outlook in a single season than I was about Buddy this year. His growth as a player in-season this year has been nothing short of remarkable.

Thank god for Buddy. He became a MAN tonight.

Thank god for Buddy. He became a MAN tonight.[/QUOTE]
Me too. I thought once ACC play started he'd be warming the bench. I've never been happier to be wrong. He seems to be working hard on his limitations (e.g. foot speed) and the impact is easy to see. Great kid. Thanks Julie!! lol.

It would be silly to write off Carey at this point, just as it was silly to write off Boeheim at the end of December. The kid clearly has the athleticism to be an impact player on both ends once he figures it out and the game slows down for him. We'll be seeing a Jalen Carey appreciation thread before long.

There is a saying in British soccer... “if he can do it in Stoke on wet, rainy, cold winter night...”. Well “if he can do it against Duke in March in Charlotte”. Buddy is a keeper and will get better as he gets stronger and more explosive. Will be all-ACC as a junior

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom