The Buddy leash | Syracusefan.com

The Buddy leash

How is that handled/accepted by players? It drives me crazy as a fan. He literally can do nothing to lose minutes and I know he can catch fire at any time.
He had a very long leash until JB got more comfortable with Kadary. Now its mostly his heat checks that result in bad shots leading to fast breaks by the opposing team. JB has had enough of that.

We got a lot inside today because VT wouldn’t come off Buddy and Girard. He opens up the floor. Even when he’s not scoring he still effects the way the defense plays. I do think he could play a little less, especially if Woody is up to playing. At least he didn’t hang out at the three point line all game.

Earlier this year, I was hammering JGIII. Since the beginning of the year JGIII has scaled back his volume of shots and played better.

Then I wrote that it was a real question of Buddy v JGIII. I think that question still stands.

JGIII has a self-awareness of his play. Buddy plays like he thinks he's Kobe. Or, you can say he plays like his dad's the coach that won't pull his kid.

Won the game. That's all that matters. Hopefully we get some more Kadary/Joe guard pairings moving forward for longer time spells.

Last edited:
You must be one of those people that think missed shots equal bad shots
They operate under the principle that you make 100 percent of the shots you don’t take

We got a lot inside today because VT wouldn’t come off Buddy and Girard. He opens up the floor. Even when he’s not scoring he still effects the way the defense plays. I do think he could play a little less, especially if Woody is up to playing. At least he didn’t hang out at the three point line all game.

that explains why Marek got wide open layups from Kadary. Thanks Buddy and Joe!

2 things can be true at the same time.
1. Buddy can become a black hole
2, He is a legit decoy which provides Q, AG and even KR open space and angles

Game plan moving forward should be to work inside out and penetration. The 3 percentage will go up as a result.

Caption Obvious, but Kadary can get anywhere he wants on the court and guys cut more sharply and aggressively with him on the floor

He had a very long leash until JB got more comfortable with Kadary. Now its mostly his heat checks that result in bad shots leading to fast breaks by the opposing team. JB has had enough of that.
Man I saw the thread and totally misread it. I thought it was about Girard having a shorter leash suddenly.

How is that handled/accepted by players? It drives me crazy as a fan. He literally can do nothing to lose minutes and I know he can catch fire at any time.
You ain’t lyin.

Buddy wouldn’t have played as many minutes if Kadary doesn’t get in foul trouble.

Great win today. Great coaching by JB and the staff today for the game and, clearly, great coaching on the practice court. The team is getting better.

Enjoy it some folks.

Buddy wouldn’t have played as many minutes if Kadary doesn’t get in foul trouble.

Great win today. Great coaching by JB and the staff today for the game and, clearly, great coaching on the practice court. The team is getting better.

Enjoy it some folks.

I agree Kadary got in foul trouble in like 30 secs. If he doesn’t do that Buddy plays far less than 38 minutes today.

JB coached up well the last two games, you have to respect that

The less obvious game within the game is that Buddy is often the focus of the defense. His man usually does not offer help or switch on screens. I think he plays too many minutes relative to the combinations we can roll out, but he does impact the game by more than his shooting.

Today, the emphasis to penetrate the lane was evident across the board. JB has taken a beating for his rotations (rightful so, IMO), but his ability to adapt the offense is still HOF quality.

Guerrier and Marek both have equally long leashes. Griffin was slightly in the dog house for one game but gets 30+ minutes at a position with more depth than Guard. I don’t know what it is that they’d have to handle or accept.

The less obvious game within the game is that Buddy is often the focus of the defense. His man usually does not offer help or switch on screens. I think he plays too many minutes relative to the combinations we can roll out, but he does impact the game by more than his shooting.

Today, the emphasis to penetrate the lane was evident across the board. JB has taken a beating for his rotations (rightful so, IMO), but his ability to adapt the offense is still HOF quality.
Defenders did the same exact thing to Trevor Cooney.
Good shooting guards have to work around screens and run transition to get clean looks.
Buddy is still getting plenty of shots.

Just because a defender face guards you doesn’t mean that is an excuse.
Joe to his credit reduced his shots.

Buddy isn’t Reggie Miller. He is a solid player that plays too much but we won today so it’s not worth debating.
When we lose it’s a different story.
Good luck recruiting SGs the next 2 cycles though.

I agree Kadary got in foul trouble in like 30 secs. If he doesn’t do that Buddy plays far less than 38 minutes today.

JB coached up well the last two games, you have to respect that

It was actually after 20 minutes (10 with him in the game). The second and third were ticky tack. But saying that’s why KR only played 15 is a smoke screen (IMHO). If BB had 3, he still would of played 35+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom