The Buddy leash | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Buddy leash

I asked this in the game thread too - I wonder how the capable forwards on the bench feel about Buddy playing at SF now? Last 2 games - both of which ended up being blowouts - neither Braswell or Woody got any run.

39 minutes today. There’s no defending that.

I see no issues. We were able to find out last game that Buddy can play SF in blowouts, and that paid off today when we were able to get Buddy to eat up minutes at SF in a blowout.

Without this knowledge we may not know who to play at SF in blowouts.

Anyway, I think the long-term dividends in blowouts will become more evident as more blowouts occur.

I see no issues. We were able to find out last game that Buddy can play SF in blowouts, and that paid off today when we were able to get Buddy to eat up minutes at SF in a blowout.

Without this knowledge we may not know who to play at SF in blowouts.

Anyway, I think the long-term dividends in blowouts will become more evident as more blowouts occur.
I am getting to the point where if we win just let it go.
If we lose and it’s part of the reason then it’s fair game.

It’s a fair point but a significant portion of our fanbase doesn’t care and all it does is cause civil war.

I will take being on Captain Rodgers side rather than Tony Stark’s side.

I am getting to the point where if we win just let it go.
If we lose and it’s part of the reason then it’s fair game.

It’s a fair point but a significant portion of our fanbase doesn’t care and all it does is cause civil war.

I will take being on Captain Rodgers side rather than Tony Stark’s side.
I agree regarding wins vs. losses. But Braswell was giving us decent minutes recently. Same with Woody prior to his COVID pause. Braswell has been here for 3 years now, and he can’t get into games at the F position over the coach’s son who’s a G? My biggest worry is locker room issues and more offseason transfers.

Frankly I felt the last 6 minutes were JB trying to see how an extended 3 guard look would be. If we put the subs in he would have played about 32 minutes which isn’t bad

I agree regarding wins vs. losses. But Braswell was giving us decent minutes recently. Same with Woody prior to his COVID pause. Braswell has been here for 3 years now, and he can’t get into games at the F position over the coach’s son who’s a G? My biggest worry is locker room issues and more offseason transfers.

Pardon me, but you Sir, are insane.

You start replacing a 35% three point shooter with a 40% three point shooter, or one that's shooting 41% since the New Year, and spacing will almost certainly fall below the elite level we require to function.

This requires a SG at SF. It's the only reasonable thing to do.

Good day.

Defenders did the same exact thing to Trevor Cooney.
Good shooting guards have to work around screens and run transition to get clean looks.
Buddy is still getting plenty of shots.

Just because a defender face guards you doesn’t mean that is an excuse.
Joe to his credit reduced his shots.

Buddy isn’t Reggie Miller. He is a solid player that plays too much but we won today so it’s not worth debating.
When we lose it’s a different story.
Good luck recruiting SGs the next 2 cycles though.
I'm not sure how some of that applies directly to what I posted. Maybe I misunderstood your point or you are simply venting. But for the record and as I posted above, I agree that BB gets too many minutes. This is especially true relative to the combinations we could roll out. Hard to argue with the results today.

Frankly I felt the last 6 minutes were JB trying to see how an extended 3 guard look would be. If we put the subs in he would have played about 32 minutes which isn’t bad

I believe we may have that somewhat already with AG at SF. No?

Why not partake in a little looksee at an extended run with a bunch of forwards on the floor? Rebounding ain't always our biggest strength.

You didn't think that he took any bad shots today?
I totally agree that Buddy shouldn't get so many minutes when his shots aren't falling, but I actually don't think his shot selection today was that bad.

Doesn't mean they don't resent the preferential treatment.
You mean, it doesn't mean that they don't resent the fabricated problem, that isn't a real issue due to how close-knit the players are?

You mean, it doesn't mean that they don't resent the fabricated problem, that isn't a real issue due to how close-knit the players are?
Yeah, I’m not concerned in the least with chemistry issues. All seems well. My concerns are that we aren’t developing bench players and we are showing recruits they may not actually get to play. Both have bigger potential negatives than a made up chemistry thing.

You know this how?
Answer me this:

Have you ever heard any grumblings from the team about the issue you're suggesting?

Have you seen any -- any whatsoever -- evidence of it play out on the court?

Do you see anyone on the team not passing to Buddy?

Do you see any arguing between players about shot selection?

Since the answer is resoundingly "NO" to all of the above, it's a complete non-issue. Notice how the players are all smiles out there and there's never any finger pointing? It's because our players have great chemistry, and the team really gets along well, and support one another. To a man. They get along swimmingly.

As for how I know, logic, theory, empirical evidence, and some informed insight about locker room dynamics. You're perfectly free not to accept that at face value, doesn't matter to me

Last edited:
Earlier this year, I was hammering JGIII. Since the beginning of the year JGIII has scaled back his volume of shots and played better.

Then I wrote that it was a real question of Buddy v JGIII. I think that question still stands.

JGIII has a self-awareness of his play. Buddy plays like he thinks he's Kobe. Or, you can say he plays like his dad's the coach that won't pull his kid.

Won the game. That's all that matters. Hopefully we get some more Kadary/Joe guard pairings moving forward for longer time spells.

JGIIIs volume has scaled back his use of scales

Answer me this:

Have you ever heard any grumblings from the team about the issue you're suggesting?

Have you seen any -- any whatsoever -- evidence of it play out on the court?

Do you see anyone on the team not passing to Buddy?

Do you see any arguing between players about shot selection?

Since the answer is resoundingly "NO" to all of the above, it's a complete non-issue. Notice how the players are all smiles out there and there's never any finger pointing? It's because our players have great chemistry, and the team really gets along well, and support one another. To a man. They get along swimmingly.

As for how I know, logic, theory, empirical evidence, and some informed insight about locker room dynamics. You're perfectly free not to accept that at face value, doesn't matter to me

If they complain or pout they might never play again.

All people are asking is for Buddy to play 5 mins per game less.

If they complain or pout they might never play again.

All people are asking is for Buddy to play 5 mins per game less.
"People" Asking for that is an agenda. And by the way, I don't disagree with the point you're making.

That's completely different than insinuating that the team believes that buddy gets "preferential" treatment. Therein lies the distinction.

For the record, I'd love to see buddy play 10 fewer minutes per game, both to keep his legs fresher and to take advantage of our wind depth. Me expressing that belief doesn't mean that the players feel the same way, or that there's an internal team issue around that point.

"People" Asking for that is an agenda.

That's completely different than insinuating that the team believes that buddy gets "preferential" treatment. Therein lies the distinction.

For the record, I'd love to see buddy play 10 fewer minutes per game, both to keep his legs fresher and to take advantage of our wind depth. Me expressing that belief doesn't mean that the players feel the same way, or that there's an internal team issue around that point.

You sir are correct.

But there have been former players of Buddy's exact caliber who have been ripped to shreds by our fans. Buddy only gets heat for the coach playing him too much and refusing to sit him for even 5 mins on off nights.

I feel like any other player people would be going off the deepend about the D being underwhelming or him being under 30% from 3 currently. So whatever the agenda is its nothing like someone like Cooney had to deal with.

You sir are correct.

But there have been former players of Buddy's exact caliber who have been ripped to shreds by our fans. Buddy only gets heat for the coach playing him too much and refusing to sit him for even 5 mins on off nights.

I feel like any other player people would be going off the deepend about the D being underwhelming or him being under 30% from 3 currently. So whatever the agenda is its nothing like someone like Cooney had to deal with.
No doubt -- our fan base has had some vile things to say about some former players. Over the years, some of it has been loathsome.

My only point is that fans making statements is different from internal team turmoil, that's all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom