The Carrier Dome is no More | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome is no More

That’s the way I took your last sentence. I don’t think it’ll be visible to anything. It’ll just go into the overall budget.
SU has always been judicious with the way they spend money. They must feel pretty good with the amount of money they receive from the ACC and the amounts they are collecting for athletic projects. I understand it’s still less than some conferences, but for SU it’s taken them to another level. Little by little football is getting what they need. Just think about what they’ve completed in the past 15 years; the Melo Center, Football Practice Facility, outdoor practice fields, updates at Manley Field and over $120 million towards updating the JMA Stadium, with another $47 million on the way. They’re planning a $150 million update to Manley and an addition between the Dome and Archibold. I never thought I’d see the day SU would spend this amount of money on athletics. We should be thankful. Now, the coaching has to match that same level of commitment.

SU has always been judicious with the way they spend money. They must feel pretty good with the amount of money they receive from the ACC and the amounts they are collecting for athletic projects. I understand it’s still less than some conferences, but for SU it’s taken them to another level. Little by little football is getting what they need. Just think about what they’ve completed in the past 15 years; the Melo Center, Football Practice Facility, outdoor practice fields, updates at Manley Field and over $120 million towards updating the JMA Stadium, with another $47 million on the way. They’re planning a $150 million update to Manley and an addition between the Dome and Archibold. I never thought I’d see the day SU would spend this amount of money on athletics. We should be thankful. Now, the coaching has to match that same level of commitment.
Good post, hoops. There is widespread support for JW's vision from the big donors all the way up to the Chancellor. As you outlined, look at all the resources being dedicated, the fundraising initiatives, with more to come. Facilities, support staff, coaching salaries, and the fan experience (very important to JW) have been targeted. I believe that we will also see this reflected in the HC salary once JB steps down (unless the hire is internal, which remains a possibility IMO, but not for monetary reasons). SU won't set the market. But, FWIW, I have been told consistently by some pretty connected people that JW will invest in the right HC when the time comes.

Good post, hoops. There is widespread support for JW's vision from the big donors all the way up to the Chancellor. As you outlined, look at all the resources being dedicated, the fundraising initiatives, with more to come. Facilities, support staff, coaching salaries, and the fan experience (very important to JW) have been targeted. I believe that we will also see this reflected in the HC salary once JB steps down (unless the hire is internal, which remains a possibility IMO, but not for monetary reasons). SU won't set the market. But, FWIW, I have been told consistently by some pretty connected people that JW will invest in the right HC when the time comes.
Thanks O07. As fans we get antsy and forget everything JW and the University is doing to get SU competitive. If anyone wants to question that all they need to do is look at what has transpired in the football program since last season. Hires on the staff and in the recruiting staff are already paying dividends. Just look at all the visitors in the past three weeks. We’ve never had this must traffic this early in recruiting. Not just for 2023, but the next few years. I’m confident JW will hire the best coach for when JB retires.

Officially Official (sort of):

For more than 40 years, the Carrier Dome has been synonymous with Syracuse University and Orange Athletics. Carrier's historic 1979 gift represented the first naming agreement for a major stadium in college sports, and one of the first in all of sports. More than four decades later, Carrier, whose support was instrumental in creating one of the most iconic and electric sports and events venues, has agreed to allow Syracuse to rename its stadium, effective May 1.

"With Carrier's cooperation, we will seek to rename our stadium while we continue our work to transform the experience for our students, faculty, staff, fans and Central New York community," says John Wildhack, director of athletics. "Without Carrier's generosity and longstanding support, completion of the Carrier Dome would not have been possible, nor would the decades of iconic sports moments and Central New York memories. We are eternally grateful for the tremendous impact Carrier has had on Orange Athletics, the Syracuse University community and the Orange fan base."

While Syracuse University considers the future identity of the stadium, it will also embark on the next phase of its work to enhance, elevate and expand the stadium experience. This includes a complete reseating, a new publicly accessible event facility and an upgrade of the entire digital infrastructure. The University will begin work later this spring with some of it scheduled to be complete as early as September 2022. The University continues to work closely with the appropriate state and local agencies to ensure enhancements to the stadium align with and support the state and county's economic development priorities and processes.

"Syracuse University is proud of the important role the Dome plays in the Central New York community and grateful for its longstanding relationship with Carrier," says Chancellor Kent Syverud. "The Dome has been an iconic sports and entertainment venue for more than 40 years. These new enhancements will generate new and additional economic activity in Central New York and continue the Dome's reputation as one of the top collegiate venues for generations to come."

The latest phase of renovations builds on the recently completed $118 million transformation of the Dome funded entirely by the University and private philanthropy without state or federal funding. Upcoming renovations include:
  • Reseating the entire venue: The University will transition all seating from bench to individual/fixed seating. The new seating, a longtime request of area fans, will not only improve comfort, but will also enhance accessibility for patrons with disabilities. The Dome's existing bench-style seating will be salvaged and made freely available to high school stadiums and venues across New York state.
  • Build an on-site and publicly accessible event facility: The University will design and construct a roughly 25,000-square-foot addition on the east end of the Dome to infill the space between the Dome and the Barnes Center at The Arch. This new space will provide an improved fan experience, expanded event and gathering space, and upgraded accessibility. This addition will make the Dome more competitive with other peer venues across the United States.
  • Upgrading the Dome's digital infrastructure: The University will elevate the fan experience in the Dome by establishing the most modern connectivity offerings for fans and other users of the Dome.

Officially Official (sort of):

For more than 40 years, the Carrier Dome has been synonymous with Syracuse University and Orange Athletics. Carrier's historic 1979 gift represented the first naming agreement for a major stadium in college sports, and one of the first in all of sports. More than four decades later, Carrier, whose support was instrumental in creating one of the most iconic and electric sports and events venues, has agreed to allow Syracuse to rename its stadium, effective May 1.

"With Carrier's cooperation, we will seek to rename our stadium while we continue our work to transform the experience for our students, faculty, staff, fans and Central New York community," says John Wildhack, director of athletics. "Without Carrier's generosity and longstanding support, completion of the Carrier Dome would not have been possible, nor would the decades of iconic sports moments and Central New York memories. We are eternally grateful for the tremendous impact Carrier has had on Orange Athletics, the Syracuse University community and the Orange fan base."

While Syracuse University considers the future identity of the stadium, it will also embark on the next phase of its work to enhance, elevate and expand the stadium experience. This includes a complete reseating, a new publicly accessible event facility and an upgrade of the entire digital infrastructure. The University will begin work later this spring with some of it scheduled to be complete as early as September 2022. The University continues to work closely with the appropriate state and local agencies to ensure enhancements to the stadium align with and support the state and county's economic development priorities and processes.

"Syracuse University is proud of the important role the Dome plays in the Central New York community and grateful for its longstanding relationship with Carrier," says Chancellor Kent Syverud. "The Dome has been an iconic sports and entertainment venue for more than 40 years. These new enhancements will generate new and additional economic activity in Central New York and continue the Dome's reputation as one of the top collegiate venues for generations to come."

The latest phase of renovations builds on the recently completed $118 million transformation of the Dome funded entirely by the University and private philanthropy without state or federal funding. Upcoming renovations include:
  • Reseating the entire venue: The University will transition all seating from bench to individual/fixed seating. The new seating, a longtime request of area fans, will not only improve comfort, but will also enhance accessibility for patrons with disabilities. The Dome's existing bench-style seating will be salvaged and made freely available to high school stadiums and venues across New York state.
  • Build an on-site and publicly accessible event facility: The University will design and construct a roughly 25,000-square-foot addition on the east end of the Dome to infill the space between the Dome and the Barnes Center at The Arch. This new space will provide an improved fan experience, expanded event and gathering space, and upgraded accessibility. This addition will make the Dome more competitive with other peer venues across the United States.
  • Upgrading the Dome's digital infrastructure: The University will elevate the fan experience in the Dome by establishing the most modern connectivity offerings for fans and other users of the Dome.

Louisville did KFC Yum... wonder if JMA has something brand wise they could do.. JMA" " Center..

We'd have to upgrade concessions to be the YUM Dome.

I still think Wegman’s blew a great marketing opportunity. So many of the opponents SU plays are in the ACC and if you look at a map of all the areas Wegman’s is expanding to, it aligns with the footprint of the schools in the ACC.

I think they say they don’t sponsor sports. But they do. They sponsored an LPGA event in Rochester for decades. Their loss.

When the details come out on the JMA agreement, it will not be a lifetime agreement. I bet it is for 5 or 10 years. Maybe Wegman’s will jump on it then. They should be in Florida by that point.

But I love having a local company step up and get this done. Again, hope they use the dome as a place to roll out the newest technology and have the telecasts from the dome talk about the upgrades in some detail.

Hope JMA partners with the SU engineering department to develop new generations of wireless engineers (there aren’t many of them) to benefit JMA, SU students and other local companies that use wireless technology (CNY has a number of world class wireless technology leaders; JMA is just one of them).

Maybe Wegmans doesn't see enough value in paying for the naming rights and then having to repay to renew every 5 or 10 years.

Maybe Wegmans doesn't see enough value in paying for the naming rights and then having to repay to renew every 5 or 10 years.
Wegmans has said a number of times they do not do sports marketing.

They have a partnership with Syracuse. They sell a ton of SU merchandise in their stores. But they don't want to sponsor sports. They did sponsor an LPGA event in the Rochester area for a long time but eventually dropped that. Maybe it was an exception since they are based there.

Their loss. JMA can do things to improve the dome and the campus that Wegmans could never do. I am glad with how things came out.

If they have regrets down the road, how knows, they might have another opportunity in a decade or so.

Wegmans has said a number of times they do not do sports marketing.

They have a partnership with Syracuse. They sell a ton of SU merchandise in their stores. But they don't want to sponsor sports. They did sponsor an LPGA event in the Rochester area for a long time but eventually dropped that. Maybe it was an exception since they are based there.

Their loss. JMA can do things to improve the dome and the campus that Wegmans could never do. I am glad with how things came out.

If they have regrets down the road, how knows, they might have another opportunity in a decade or so.

Maybe sponsoring sports events was “easier” than schools/teams given that they have a presence in many communities that may have competing schools/teams. Get behind SU and what does that say to their loyal shoppers in Buffalo who align with UB, Canisius or Niagara or those in Philly who align with Temple, Penn or eeecck Nova.

With Carrier's cooperation, we will seek to rename our stadium while we continue our work to transform the experience for our students, faculty, staff, fans and Central New York community," says John Wildhack, director of athletics. "Without Carrier's generosity and longstanding support, completion of the Carrier Dome would not have been possible, nor would the decades of iconic sports moments and Central New York memories. We are eternally grateful for the tremendous impact Carrier has had on Orange Athletics, the Syracuse University community and the Orange fan base.
With that being said, the name of the dome is entering the transfer portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom