The Coach Fran Brown Show - before Ohio U. | Syracusefan.com

The Coach Fran Brown Show - before Ohio U.

SWC75

Bored Historian
AmeriCU Fran Brown Show Debuts Thursday - Syracuse University Athletics
(This has their schedule for the season)

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can catch the show on TK99/105 locally, Cuse.com and the 'Cuse App, You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/ or https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live. Fans are invited to participate in the show by calling 888-7Go-Cuse, (1-888-746-2873), or 424-8599 or on twitter (@CuseLearfield) with the hashtag #AskFran or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website): Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics.

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

Coach, I want to thank you and your staff for creating a lot of excitement that we’ve needed around here for a long time.

From 1987-2001, Syracuse won 70% of it’s football games and beat teams like Penn State, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan and Miami. A generation grew up believing that that was Syracuse football. Since 2002 under five different coaches, we’ve won 40% of our games and a generation has grown up thinking that that was Syracuse football.

I’m going to ask you what I’ve asked of each new coach. Is there anything from this school or this community that you need to be successful here that isn’t already in place or about to be? I’ll give you this: we need fannies in the seats and those fannies need to make noise!

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Coach Fran Brown entered Heritage Hill to a great ovation. (The show was supposedly streamed on this: https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=6941&type=Live but all I ever got was the audio.) After he sat down, Matt asked him about his first “game week”. He replies that they were “doing some things we’ve done at Georgia. Today was about special teams and unit meetings.” Matt noted that Western Carolina, for whom Fran played, was playing NC State. He talked briefly about how Matt Ruhle was the coach there and he “believed in the plan I had for my career.” As I write this, that game is 14-14 very late in the first half. Hmmm…(It’s now NC State up 24-21 early in the fourth as I proof read this)

I called in my question. Coach Fran said he was familiar with SU football history and that he knows all about Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, RALPH Csonka and Dwight Freeney and that he hoped to return the program to that level of national recognition and respect again. (I wonder who Ralph Csonka was – Coach Brown has said that name a couple of times. He must know somebody with a similar name.) “You guys know what it looked like and I’m thankful to be part of that heritage. We want history to repeat itself. We want a program recognized around the country as a winning program…The difference is NIL. The best recruiter is Benjamin Franklin, [who is on the $100 bill]…Jim Tressel, [coach of Ohio State’s 2002 national champions who was Dick McPherson’s QB coach in 1981-82: he was coaching Dave Warner, Todd Norley and Steve Peach!] has talked to our team. He said Coach Mac was the most detailed man he’d ever met. Dick used to walk around with a tape recorder, recording everything he said. He’d have a secretary type it up for him. I’ve started doing the same thing, although with modern technology, I don’t need the secretary.”

Matt wanted to discuss “program resources and facility (upgrades) down the pike. FB: “I don’t give facilities great weight anymore. [It’s all about the Benjamins] Our facilities are great. The weight room and the Lally complex have been redone. The stadium is nice. I coached in the Dome once when I was at Rutgers and it was a good game, [for Rutgers 7-17, 2021]. Now there will be more room, [for the fans], but they will still be right on top of the game. You guys had to be more tired of those metal seats. The student section has been moved. We’re definitely going there in the fourth quarter.” I assume that means that when we get to choose which side of the field to defend, the decision will be made based on whether we would be going toward the student section at the end of the game. They have prepared for the noise level of the Dome by playing loud music in practice, “even though that won’t be quite the same.”

Dominick in Greenville wondered how much of a “hands on” coach, Fran was. Does he have anything to say about uniforms for example. Coach said that he was very hands on. “I don’t want to give someone something to do and not let him know what I wanted. I want out team wo wear what they wore before: traditional jerseys and colors and not lots of different jerseys.”

What surprised Fran the most when he came here? “The size of Oronde Gadsden and Jusitn Barron. And the open arms of the people who work here. They want a winning program so much.”

He described Kyle McCord as “John Wick”, [another movie buff?) “Always calm and cool. Don’t make a mistake. He’s coming after them. Coach Nixon expects his players to run the play once and they they’ll know it. At the end of the day, we have to run what they know. ‘If you [have to] think, you stink.”

Matt asked about LeQuint Allen and the running game. FB: “He’s the heart of the football team. He goes full out every day. We’ve added enough on the offensive line. We have to run the ball so that they don’t T-off on Kyle…The offensive line, especially Savion Washington and [Da’Metrius] Witherspoon, have made the biggest jump on the team. People like Enrique and Joe Cruz give us depth.” They talked briefly about Justin Pugh, who re-retired. Coach thinks he wanted to be with his young daughter.

Ed in Syracuse asked about senior leadership and could the coach compare Kyle McCord and Marlowe Wax. FB: “They are both aggressive always on the attack. Marlowe loves to hit people. Kyle loves no being hit. They are both vocal guys but they lead by example. I’m not going to allow you to say anything if you aren’t working hard.” He listed the team’s defensive leaders as Fadil Diggs. Marlowe Wax, Justin Barron, ‘Cinco’, (Alijah Clark, who wears #5), Duce Chestnut and Clarence Lewis.

In the grand tradition, they introduced assistant coach Nunzio Campanile, our “Offensive Associate Head Coach/Quarterbacks Coach” in time for him to say a few words before the music that signaled the end of the show started playing. “Coach Brown has laid out the plan. The players have done a great job of turning the page. I can’t wait to get to work.”

It’s actually posted on YouTube this year

I found this, which is the "Gomez segment":

...done after the main show. This was done from 8-8:30 and posted to You-Tube at 9PM. I'm not going to try to transcribe it if you can get it on You-Tube the same night. I tried to get the main show on You-Tube but was unable to.

Last edited:
They finally got the stream going on Cuse.com but it's audio only:

If they are going to consistently do this and the YouTube segment above, I'll just write a summary of the shows and highlights rather than try to transcribe the thing.
The live show on the SU Athletics app was actually video. Kinda boring watching two people talk for an hour, but it definitely had video.

I was able to watch the stream live. They had two cameras, one for Matt and one for Fran. So the two boxes almost made it looks like they were on Zoom. Fran's camera was clear, Matt's was hazy (perhaps on purpose).

Have to give you credit for listening to these and doing the writeups. I'm spoiled now and have no attention span for commercials. This show has a commercial seemingly every 3 minutes. They lost me well before Nunzio came on.

I wish they would move the coaches show to Drumlins or downtown. The acoustics at Heritage Hill are terrible (could not hear Fran’s responses to the questions) and for the fans like me that live in the western suburbs its a 40 minute drive to the venue.

Gotta love Coach Fran!
IMG_1789.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom