The Coach's Show | Syracusefan.com

The Coach's Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
The coach’s show is on TK99, (FM 99.5) in the Syracuse area and can also be heard through Orange All-Access on the SU Athletic website. This year it’s 7PM Thursdays- or two days before each game, when they are not on Saturday. They have a link to their “Radio Mailbox” for submitting E-Mail questions on the SU Athletic website. You also can call in questions at 1-888-746-2873 or locally at 315-424-8599. You can also tweet them at hash tag CDMS. The show is broadcast from the Red Robin in Fayetteville.
It can take a while but pod casts of the show are eventually posted here:

http://www.suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, I heard a comparison today that Syracuse fans were like Charlie Brown, always hoping that this time Lucy won’t pull the ball way. Sports is all about optimism and fans are always hoping that a good performance one week will lead to a good performance the next week. But how much of a carry over is there from one week to the next? Do teams, even after a successful performance have to start from scratch the next week and build up, physically, emotionally and strategically to the next performance? Will playing so well against Louisville help us defeat Missouri?”

COACH MARRONE
(I’ve re-arranged the order of some of the comments based on the subject.)

Matt said that we are coming off a great win and now have a tough game on the road. HCDM: It is what it is. We’ll have to tough it out. If we limit mistakes, especially turnovers and execute at eye level we have a great opportunity to win….I’m excited. Nothing was said about the way we played last week and I told the players that we need to gain the respect of these teams.” I’m not sure what “executing at eye level” means but it sure sounds good. That last comment suggests that Coach knew exactly what Charlie Strong said after the game and didn’t care for it and that he made sure the players didn’t care for it, either. I like that, too.

It was a good point to call in my question, which I read off too fast, which made it sound more complicated than it was. Matt had to read it off his computer in parts. IHTDABJ.
Coach said that he had a core game plan that carries over from game to game that “you believe in and the players know and can execute. You have to sell the game plan to the players and make sure they believe in it. It‘s all based on what you prepared in the pre-season. You pull up what you need from it.” Physically, “You have to work your body back. The coaches have to watch for that.” Emotionally, “That’s the big thing. You don’t want to be too high or too low. You have to tell them where you want to focus.” Does playing well against Louisville make it more likely we will play well vs. Missouri? “I would hope so. The onus is on us. To be a consistent winning football team you have to win games. It’s a challenge for us. We don’t want to be Charley Brown, who doesn’t get to kick the football.”

Matt suggested that, even if there isn’t a “literal” advantage to playing well against Louisville, such as being spotted a touchdown to begin the game, (what would Missouri get for beating Tennessee?), it is “proof they can do it and good results come from that. Beyond getting to go to a bowl, putting together two good performances is a good goal.”

HCDM: “Expectations outside the room have been up and won and that’s not our expectation. We don’t want to make mistakes. What can I say? We just keep fighting. I’m 100% committed to avoiding mistakes and consistent winning.”

Matt noted that we had avoided mistakes against Louisville and forced them into some. “It’s a huge advantage to have a short field, a big momentum thing. In the past games muffs had bounced away from us. This time one bounced toward us. Coker’s ball was tipped and came right back to him, (This may be a reference not to the muff but to the touchdown pass). It’s a close game. But we need to avoid those kinds of plays and be more efficient. How do we mirror what we did and how we prepared to play?”

Matt noted that a familiar name- Venric Mark - was leading the nation in punt returns, (Hey! We helped!). Missouri has the best punt returner we’ve faced since then, Marcus Murphy, who actually has more touchdowns on returns than Mark- 3. “Strategically, we have to do a good job. We have a good plan in place. It’s not like we ignore it in practice. We’ve got to block out the crowd. This will be the first time we’ve played to a capacity crowd since I’ve been here. We’ll get the best Missouri has.”

Matt asked what they were focusing on in practice after the Louisville game. “Mistakes. We watch film and break it down in all three phases. Even the good teams make mistakes. Alabama made more mistakes than they have in the past.” he reminisced about when he coached for teams that had so much talent they could overcome mistakes, (He’s coached at Georgia, Georgia Tech and Tennessee as well as the Saints, among others). “We were so much better it didn’t matter. One time I pointed out that on a particular play, our formation would leave a safety unblocked. I predicted he’d come up and tackle the running back after two yards. The head coach said ‘Then we’ll get another running back.’ On the first play exactly what I predicted happened- the safety came up and made a tackle for a two yard gain. The second time we tried it, the running back juked the safety and went 40 yards. It was unbelievable. It was great to see Prince and Jerome make guys miss and get long touchdown runs out of it. The line has to get a lot of credit for that.”

“The line has a big challenge vs. Missouri. They have the most talented and physical defensive line we’ve seen all year. Sheldon Richardson has 70 tackles, 9 ½ tackles for a loss and 4 sacks. We’re going to have to do a good job of pounding away. They don’t play many people- 3 defensive tackles and 3 defensive ends. You can run away from guys on the outside but not from guys in the middle. Their quarterback has been banged up but he’s now the healthiest he has been all season. And they have as good looking a set of receivers as you’ll see anywhere, even in the NFL.”
Richard and Aaron at the restaurant wanted to know if Ryan Nassib is an NFL quarterback “I believe he is. He has an excellent arm and has been showing some touch on the long passes. He’s worked very hard on it. He’s smart with good leadership skills. He’s focused on Missouri right now. I’ve seen kids thinking too fast about the future but these guys are focused on working together to be successful.

A caller wanted to know why we don’t blitz more on third down. “It’s based on down and distance and what routes and packages we have to defend. Five deep is very difficult to throw against. Our third down package gives the ability to disguise what we are doing. We can rush four with it if we need to or five.”

Joanne in Clay had kind of a strange call. “It ’s been one great year to watch things develop. I listen on the radio. I don’t like to watch because someone might get hurt. Are you glad you went to that army place?” HCDM: We hope the experience as a student athlete carries into life. I was asked what I appreciated a the most about this job. It’s the job the kids have done in the community and knowing that they will teach their kids the things they have learned here.”
Jonathan in Brooklyn wanted to know how many young players had had ’break-out’ years? “Wayne Morgan and Julian Wigham are playing on special teams. Markus Pierce-Brewster, Zian Jones and Durell Eskridge have played well on defense Rob Trudo is playing on offense- he’s got a heck of a match-up this week- and Sean Hickey has been outstanding. Ashton Broyld has been up and won because of injuries. Chris Clark and Jarrod West have played well. I’m excited to see the kids in the spring. We’re in talks about opening it up so the people can see.” I wonder who he has to talk with about that? Wouldn’t that be his decision? And I wonder if the match-up for Trudo is Richardson? The talk has been how Mackey McPherson would do against him. I suspect he’s the match-up for both of them.

A fan wanted to know about the status of injured players we haven’t seen- are they out for the season? Rob Thompson had surgery and a full recovery is expected for the pre-season, (I assume that means fall practice). Kyle Foster, about whom they are “real excited”, is expected back in the spring. Matt said he saw him running with a bunch of players. Myles Davis has a “lower body injury” and is not working right now. “The football renovations help. Having the bubble helps them get out and run. Then there’s the treadmill and the water. I must say though, when I played, we were told to just get out there and play.”

Larry in Venice, Florida asked how plays are called in the no huddle offense. “We use codes. The players play a role in choosing the codes so they remember it.” Matt described the method: signs are held up with certain images. They could be a picture of the President, Will Ferrell, an apple, whatever. SU uses an orange. Coach said that it’s like in baseball- they show a series of signs and some of them indicate the play, some don’t. there’s always an indicator that the next one is the real one. “We’ve actually made less mistakes by calling plays this way than by calling them at the line. I’ve given up figuring it out.” Coach gave an example of the kind of play call they used to use, with various blocking assignments imbedded within it. Now they just show an orange. “It must be the way kids are educated today, or maybe the video games they play.”

They concluded by having the coach list the keys to victory. “Ball security, balance on offense, changing things up on defense to fool the quarterback, making sure their running plays aren’t working. They will complete a lot of balls. We’ve got to stop after 3-4 yards with good tackling. There’s the return game. We’ve got to withstand the first quarter emotion. Then we can play ourselves into a great win.”

I had been under the impression that this would be their last show but they will have one next week- the day and time hasn’t been decided yet- look at your local listings. (I can never find anything there- the SU athletic site usually posts an article on the show the day of the broadcast.) Then they will have a season wrap-up show the next week. Hopefully, it will be a regular season wrap-up show.

Injured players-I wanted to know how they were doing healthwise and if they'd be available for bowl practice or spring practices?

"It was a good point to call in my question, which I read off too fast, which made it sound more complicated than it was. Matt had to read it off his computer in parts. IHTDABJ."

LOL, nice !!

We’ve got to block out the crowd. This will be the first time we’ve played to a capacity crowd since I’ve been here.”

Ahem, Minnesota game? (Penn State game 2009 had 106,000 people FWIW). And Mizzou sold out 3 of 6 home games this year. I don't think we're on the sellout list unless we're going to have 7,000 strong out there. Probably more like 700.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom