The Coyle decision | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

The Coyle decision

If he's as incapable as you say and Shafer is such a great recruiter then I'm shocked he's started every game this year.
Well, never said incapable, not even remotely close. Just saw that he's most likely grading out less. But way to add nothing to the conversation except another sarcasm driven pointless post.

Well, never said incapable, not even remotely close. Just saw that he's most likely grading out less. But way to add nothing to the conversation except another sarcasm driven pointless post.
Take a breath, Sparky. There was nothing sarcastic about my post.

"Singlehandedly has blown more assignments than any other OL. I consistently watch him miss his mark. I'm not even talking about blocking, I'm talking about him even getting to his block."

That's sort of close to incapable.

And how's that worked out? Singlehandedly has blown more assignments than any other OL. I consistently watch him miss his mark. I'm not even talking about blocking, I'm talking about him even getting to his block.

My comment had nothing to do with development or coaching, simply talent. And the difference in this scenario isn't debatable IMO.

Nick's a great kid by all accounts, thought he was a better player two years ago than he is now. But, I know in looking at the scheme that he's being taught how and who to block, he's just struggling to get there.

It doesn't help that his legs are shot.

Take a breath, Sparky. There was nothing sarcastic about my post.

"Singlehandedly has blown more assignments than any other OL. I consistently watch him miss his mark. I'm not even talking about blocking, I'm talking about him even getting to his block."

That's sort of close to incapable.
"Struggling to get there."

How bout putting together the whole post?

Struggling vs. Incapable

www.webster.com

It doesn't help that his legs are shot.
No it doesn't, and I didn't want this to turn into this at all. As I said, Nick's a great kid. Should've never brought him up as an example.

To me this is the weakest line since perhaps, Grob. One thing Marrone can do is spot OLine talent and coach it up.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Everybody play nicely, or the thread goes bye-bye.

To me this is the weakest line since perhaps, Grob. One thing Marrone can do is spot OLine talent and coach it up.
It doesn't help Joe Adam never coached OL in college football and was the HC at Elmhurst and tasked at Syracuse to coach the most important position in football non-QB.

Adam was shaky year one so much that his duties this year are just the center/guards. Moreland is coaching the tackles. I mean we are using one coaching spot on a person to coach Guards/Centers?

Our coaching staff is the 2006 Western Michigan staff. SS,Daoust, Lester, Bullough, Adam and they fired McDonald. Daoust was here before the rest but this staff is mid-major in a P5 league and people defending it and actually think its going to get better.

That WMU team wasn't even good it went 8-5 and didn't even win its division in the MAC.

Let's stay the course with this staff and really expect it to be better next year when the schedule is tougher next year.

I'll admit freely, I get too worked up.

fightin words.jpg

Guy was an unmitigated disaster. We spend too much time wondering how GROB was hired but the bigger miss was who hired Gross. We went from an intelligent Crouthamel to a complete buffoon. Jake's time had come but the step down was just off the charts bad.
Crouthamel was great in the early years...time passed him bye the last 15 years of his tenure. He refused to make things happen that we needed to keep up with the joneses.

Crouthamel was great in the early years...time passed him bye the last 15 years of his tenure. He refused to make things happen that we needed to keep up with the joneses.
University took all the bowl proceeds and dome revenue and put it into the general fund. Very little went back to athletics. That spelled doom. Not sure if Jake had a say in that or not. But I imagine he was a bit hamstrung. It's truly easy to see why things fell off as much as they did. There was very little economic support.

:eat popcorn::eat popcorn::eat popcorn:

Refused, or was unable to?

Crouthamel had a list of facilities improvements that he wanted.

But he didn't have enough money in his budget.

And Buzz wouldn't give him the money.

Everyone answers to a boss farther up the food chain.

Refused, or was unable to?

Crouthamel had a list of facilities improvements that he wanted.

But he didn't have enough money in his budget.

And Buzz wouldn't give him the money.

Everyone answers to a boss farther up the food chain.
Thats a fair point.. Kenneth was a piece of work. Don't get me wrong..i liked Jake.

Wrong. You don't know what you're talking about.

can-of-worms.jpg

Finwad32 said:
And how's that worked out? Singlehandedly has blown more assignments than any other OL. I consistently watch him miss his mark. I'm not even talking about blocking, I'm talking about him even getting to his block. My comment had nothing to do with development or coaching, simply talent. And the difference in this scenario isn't debatable IMO. Nick's a great kid by all accounts, thought he was a better player two years ago than he is now. But, I know in looking at the scheme that he's being taught how and who to block, he's just struggling to get there.

And you don't think this has anything to do with coaching? It's just a big coincidence that Robinson and Trudo bot got worse as their careers have progressed?

And you don't think this has anything to do with coaching? It's just a big coincidence that Robinson and Trudo bot got worse as their careers have progressed?
I'm not going to dig back into this... My OP had nothing to do with coaching. There's no doubt that Marrone and Adkins were two of the best in the business in terms of coaching the OL. Still are. That wasn't what it was intended for.

Regardless, this portion of the debate is buried for me brotha.

University took all the bowl proceeds and dome revenue and put it into the general fund. Very little went back to athletics. That spelled doom. Not sure if Jake had a say in that or not. But I imagine he was a bit hamstrung. It's truly easy to see why things fell off as much as they did. There was very little economic support.

Hamstrung is a good way to put it, but Jake was also an old-school guy with limited interests who didn't do all he could to enhance the athletic department as a whole.

I'm going to take a moment and be grateful that we've got one of the best collegiate coaches in America taking Syracuse's #2-ranked cross country team to nationals this weekend. This is a far cry from Andy Roberts sneaking cigarettes under the Manley bleachers while our running program full of sprinters waits for the snow to melt. And it pairs very well with our field hockey team's Final Four appearance and Sunday's home NCAA soccer game.

(Yeah, I took your post kind of far afield with a point I've wanted to make for a little while: post-Jake, life is good. Except for that football thing...)

Finwad32 said:
I'm not going to dig back into this... My OP had nothing to do with coaching. There's no doubt that Marrone and Adkins were two of the best in the business in terms of coaching the OL. Still are. That wasn't what it was intended for. Regardless, this portion of the debate is buried for me brotha.

Ok I guess I'm just confused my you bothered posting about it to begin with then ? All good though

Hamstrung is a good way to put it, but Jake was also an old-school guy with limited interests who didn't do all he could to enhance the athletic department as a whole.

I'm going to take a moment and be grateful that we've got one of the best collegiate coaches in America taking Syracuse's #2-ranked cross country team to nationals this weekend. This is a far cry from Andy Roberts sneaking cigarettes under the Manley bleachers while our running program full of sprinters waits for the snow to melt. And it pairs very well with our field hockey team's Final Four appearance and Sunday's home NCAA soccer game.

(Yeah, I took your post kind of far afield with a point I've wanted to make for a little while: post-Jake, life is good. Except for that football thing...)
I'm with ya. XC, FH, Women's Lax, Men's Soccer, have been great and fun to watch.

I've stayed out of this thread. To me, it's really simple. The team is bad. The staff makes bad decisions. The best we ever do is get in a close game. That's a pattern. Nothing we do scares our opponents. We make no effort to make the most of the one unique advantage we have. This is rock bottom.

The decision is actually really easy. I don't know why people want to make it difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom