the crane the crane | Page 111 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Hook straps attached almost ready to lift to go where? To the right side of Walt by the end of the ties?

And we're off the trailer! that is a BIG girder. The op is moving this one VERY SLOWLY! It is always amazing to me to see the op maneuver the load with the main hoist block to get the load exactly in position to lower and place it where it is supposed to go. This is VERY COOL! The straps are loose, it's down. They must have the girder on supports.

Last edited:
They took the lifting straps off the main block in back of the girder so Walt can be free of them.

The white crane in the main yard is active - think the op is getting ready to lift axles onto the back of the trailer - or not. not- at least not yet but the straps are hanging ready to lift something. Just lifted something off the trailer can't see what.

Last edited:
I am wondering if the latest girder is the one that was in the lot across Forestry Drive.

Looks like they are in the process of ,(now in sections), reassembling the trailer to short mode.

I'm guessing that they need the white crane to lift a section of the trailer that will be riding back to wherever if not Montreal onto the load bearing part of the trailer. We'll see.

Up on forestry they are still assembling. It looks like they are close to putting the jib heel section onto the boom tip sheaves it's hard to see due to the water droplets on the cam. I could explain this better but
The nerve, he is probably sitting on the beach sipping Ginger Ale instead of staring at the Web Cam.
YUP! Probably Schweppes since I believe that's his favorite

I started to say something about the work on Forestry but it's gone - oh well - on Forestry they are still assembling the other large crane and I believe, although it's difficult to see due to the water droplets on the cam, that they are about to attach the jib heel section to the boom tip sheaves. I would be able to explain this better with a diagram but the info will not be copy pasted. In other words they are almost to the end or tip of the boom where the hoist block is located. If I could see the jib section I would be more affirmative in my statement here but I do not see a jib section on Forestry yet.

Last edited:
It's 5:14 and there is a congregation of crew around the trailer that carried the last girder - problems? If we had audio and a zoom function we'd know more but we don't. The tractor is back and backed up close to the trailer - less activity with the crew maybe we're set. Yes, we have brake lights action and set to roll.

Last edited:
Don't they need to add some backstays before more spirals can go up?
There are no more backstays for the west wall. There are two they need to put up for the southwest diagonal wall. Those two strattle the neighboring walls. They are really big back stays.

Up on forestry they are still assembling. It looks like they are close to putting the jib heel section onto the boom tip sheaves it's hard to see due to the water droplets on the cam. I could explain this better but
YUP! Probably Schweppes since I believe that's his favorite
Schweppes is my favorite. No doubt. Not on a beach though. I m a golf course kind of a guy.

I looked at the tape and it appears the new girder did come from the big storage area at Hendricks Field.

I figure they stashed it there because it was going to be a while before it was its turn to be installed. Looks like we are finally getting close to putting it up in the air.

I just wanted to add that it appears that a lightning rod has been added to the last section of box girder that was installed. That puts it at or near the apex of the crown truss. Makes sense.

It looks like work on the crown truss has stepped up since the dome closed. Good to see.

Last edited:
Another spiral at 5:35 P.M. large in diameter whitey is waiting to unload. This one is about the same dia. as the large one before it. Working late at the Dome - crew is busting it today and so are the drivers.

Here we go with the offload going to put it down with the others between the fencing.

Schweppes is my favorite. No doubt. Not on a beach though. I m a golf course kind of a guy.

I looked at the tape and it appears the new girder did come from the big storage area at Hendricks Field.

I figure they stashed it there because it was going to be a while before it was its turn to be installed. Looks like we are finally getting close to putting it up in the air.

I just wanted to add that it appears that a lightning rod has been added to the last section of box girder that was installed. That puts it at or near the apex of the crown truss. Makes sense.

It looks like work on the crown truss has stepped up since the dome closed. Good to see.
I was wondering what the spire on the girder was...thanks for the lightning rod perspective...

Almost neglected to put the forecast up. This week I am not going to list each day and this is why: Through March 26 the lowest daily temp. is 43 the highest is 62 this coming Monday and there is NO SNOW in the forecast through the 26th according to Accuweather so the boys and girls have some good weather in which to further the construction of the Crown Truss.

A564B44A-4270-42FE-ACBD-49C9EFE58F23.jpeg
D4765032-0731-4914-94AB-C665CA21E363.jpeg

If this is what we're getting and we're not getting a partially transparent roof as this pseudo drawing suggest because Sala said it will be slightly more translucent than what we have now I'll be really disappointed. I haven't posted any of my opinions on this exact piece but think you are correct. IMHO - "it looks kind of dumb".
Plan to be disappointed. I don't expect to see any sky.