the crane the crane | Page 112 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I wonder if the thicker spirals are for the center spot of the triangles.
It appears to me as though the spirals that are oriented vertically are consistently thicker than the spirals oriented diagonally. I think the vertical ones primary purpose is bearing weight while the diagonal ones are more for stability.

I agree with NJCuse97 that the center portion of the new roof, the part made of PTFE, will not be translucent enough to see blue sky though it. There was an article in the PS about this a long time ago. Pete Sala said the original plan was to have the center part of the roof clear, to give the building an open feeling. But he and JW saw some models and realized allowing too much sun in would wreak havoc with TV..

It appears to me as though the spirals that are oriented vertically are consistently thicker than the spirals oriented diagonally. I think the vertical ones primary purpose is bearing weight while the diagonal ones are more for stability.

I agree with NJCuse97 that the center portion of the new roof, the part made of PTFE, will not be translucent enough to see blue sky though it. There was an article in the PS about this a long time ago. Pete Sala said the original plan was to have the center part of the roof clear, to give the building an open feeling. But he and JW saw some models and realized allowing too much sun in would wreak havoc with TV..
I'm thinking a huge holographic scoreboard/video screen...disappears during play...

Because we all know that they can't televise college football when its too sunny out.

I think it might be ok for football, but basketball would probably be the bigger issue. Of course, most basketball games are at night, and the sun only shines 2.5 days per winter in CNY, so I don't really think it would be an issue there either.

Since they took the bleachers out, why don’t they just put in new seats while they’re at it?

Since they took the bleachers out, why don’t they just put in new seats while they’re at it?
Then we get into the whole "what to do with the STH's" discussion. Big can of worms to open there.
1583549024165.gif

Is the "since they took the bleachers out, why don’t they just put in new seats while they’re at it" becoming the new "how many redshirt years does a player get"?

Can I watch Barry Baker run the ball from an individual seat in an air conditioned setting with a moving scoreboard anytime soon?

Heck I would be happy if they just added backs to the current bench seating. I doubt very much that new seats are in the plan, because of cost and reduction of seating capacity, which would disrupt current seating plan participants. Maybe it will happen at some later date, but I would not put any money on it.

I thought I'd take one more peek tonight at the project and there is a mystery. At 10 P.M. I watched an officer in a black and white police SUV pull up to the main yard drive, get out unlock the gate, pull his vehicle in, lock the gate and drive to the front corner edge of the construction trailer. It's now 11:09 and he's still sitting there lights on? Why? Opinions? Solve that and you get your choice of seating and recliner for the 2020 season,a/c, cup holder, a case of any beer you'd like for every game this coming season and a selfie with Tommy D. :) This is for real the guy is still sitting there probably doing paper work. But maybe waiting to ambush an intruder?!

I thought I'd take one more peek tonight at the project and there is a mystery. At 10 P.M. I watched an officer in a black and white police SUV pull up to the main yard drive, get out unlock the gate, pull his vehicle in, lock the gate and drive to the front corner edge of the construction trailer. It's now 11:09 and he's still sitting there lights on? Why? Opinions? Solve that and you get your choice of seating and recliner for the 2020 season,a/c, cup holder, a case of any beer you'd like for every game this coming season and a selfie with Tommy D. :) This is for real the guy is still sitting there probably doing paper work. But maybe waiting to ambush an intruder?!
Last night there was a pickup truck parked in there next to the trailer with its lights on facing out towards forestry drive. I imagine for security purposes. It was there until at least 3:30 am. That was the last time I checked.

Ah the advantages of insomnia. Two nights ago I counted 28 people leaving the southwest corner of the dome at about 2:30 am. Then I think I counted about 15 entering the yard about an hour later. Exhilarating stuff

Can I watch Barry Baker run the ball from an individual seat in an air conditioned setting with a moving scoreboard anytime soon?
Where is that little touchdown maker?

Last night there was a pickup truck parked in there next to the trailer with its lights on facing out towards forestry drive. I imagine for security purposes. It was there until at least 3:30 am. That was the last time I checked.

Ah the advantages of insomnia. Two nights ago I counted 28 people leaving the southwest corner of the dome at about 2:30 am. Then I think I counted about 15 entering the yard about an hour later. Exhilarating stuff
What a time to be alive!

This actually has been going on since they enclosed that section. To deter vandals and anyone wanting to mess with Walt is my guess.

I think it might be ok for football, but basketball would probably be the bigger issue. Of course, most basketball games are at night, and the sun only shines 2.5 days per winter in CNY, so I don't really think it would be an issue there either.

Ha regarding the 2.5 days of sun during CNY's winters. No doubt that the use of the Dome for basketball is what played the role in relation to ETFE vs. PTFE in the center area of the roof and concern for TV broadcats, shadows on the court, etc. That being said, with hoop (games) not starting until November and finished by the first couple of days in March, the sun in these northern parts (when it's out ;)) is at a relatively low angle in the sky, so I don't know how much of an actual impact the sun would've truly had.

Looks like the SW corner backstay is being put together...
It's Saturday about 11:41 and I see six of the crew in the main yard under full sun. Tomorrow 54 high 41 low. I see six of the crew with telltale brown steel which means another backstay or two or three are taking shape. An op is running the white crane and Walt's hoist wire is fully extended to the ground. Let's see if they can get something up for the next spiral and girder or if they're going to put them together and wait till tomorrow or Monday to install.

Had no idea the police and pick up trucks were inside the yard during the night. Or that many people would be wandering around at 2:30 A.M. Guess it's a good idea to post them. Don't need vandalism on this site - amazing.

really just need better camera alarm setup. then you wouldnt need people there full time.. Its not like there should be most any kind of movement in some of those off hours