the crane the crane | Page 122 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

BE4ED9E0-1873-44B8-9A0E-DC9931742CC2.jpeg

What a marvelous day for a girder...

Anyone know what the record is so far on the most number of girders in a single day (on just this project)?

2 the other day i think was the only time.. none today and probably not gonna see one today

Anyone know what the record is so far on the most number of girders in a single day (on just this project)?
I think it is 2.

With the 2 diagonal spirals up today, the next steps are to put up vertical oriented spirals and then girders.

On the west side, I don’t see any spirals out in the open, forget about collared and out fitted with cables. There is also no sign of prep work on the two girders out in the open. Can’t imagine much happening today. Hope they take a spiral out of the storage area and outfit it with a collar this afternoon. And maybe start work on a girder. The first step seems to be to put the railings on it. In a perfect world, they would also take the diagonal spiral out and start prepping it as well. Though I believe the next girder that goes up on the west side will be the first of the 3 ‘arrow heads’ on the southwest diagonal wall (so it will have 3 spirals to support it instead of the 2 we have been seeing along the west wall).

If they can get this prep work done, maybe we will see some spirals and girders go up tomorrow. Can’t see what is going on over on the east side. They might be further along on that side. I would think that might be prioritizing that side for now because it is a girder behind right now.

Last edited:
It's way past lunchtime at 1:35 and the newer crane in the yard has ahold of a nice brown piece of backstay steel that will be made into the next stay - I think - I don't see anything on the next vertical column to accept the stay as you go down Forestry.

Here it comes...east side... Skylar is lifting towards the dome a big spiral -at least it was - maybe relocating it?
Out of view now. Yup, maybe to have a collar fitted and then go up on that side.

Last edited:
Don't see the long piece of brown steel that was hanging from the new cranes hoist wire awhile ago - it just up and disappeared or is hiding in the shadows of the main yard.

Well..well Skylar has another spiral that is being lowered on the east side out of view. Looks like we could have a lot of work happening tomorrow hopefully.

I didn't imagine it - the brown piece is hanging from the hoist wire of the new crane... see what the op does with it. For now it's lying flat on the ties in the main yard over close to the counterweights. The crew has inspected the steel several times. The piece is very long running the full length of the ties that make up the working area for the cranes. It also looks like one side has a plastic yellow wrap that runs the entire length of the piece.

Last edited:
The new crane is lifting the piece of brown steel again. This is about the fourth time it has done that and placed it on the ground again.

Interesting - the steel was lifted up above the dome's side where a crew member walked out on the back stay grabbed the hanging and walked it into the ring walkway down to the last box girder out to the point of the nest backstay. A telescopic boom crane is involved with the new crane. The piece is hanging vertically from the hoist block of the new crane near the last spiral holding the last girder. It looks like they are positioning it or measuring it for some reason There is a scaffold under the box girder and the last spiral on the west side...now the piece is basically vertical and almost stationary very close to the last spiral. Finally stationary at least for the moment positioned the base end in something in the walkway above the dome wall next to the ring and the top into the scaffold. At one point during the positioning of this a crew member climbed out of the support at the end of the telescopic boom crane and climbed onto the point of the last back stay - scary sh**.
Maybe tomcat has an idea what this is for - whether this temporary or permanent? I have not seen this happen before. now the crew ironworker is out walking on the backstay. It looks like he's holding a rope that is attached to the steel piece I can hardly see it through the LC.

Last edited:
The piece looks to be the almost the exact length of the last spiral and is positioned exactly parallel to it about 2-3 feet away. From the walk way to beneath the scaffold attached to the spiral. IMHO if you are a Craniac and you missed this you missed something intricate getting the piece in place by the op of the new crane and crew once it got up there. The op had to seemingly weave the piece into position several times on the way up and over. Got to be temporary IMO.

There is a crew outside the piece in the open hope he's got A SAFETY LINE. And because of the wonderful zoom function on this LC I'll be able to tell what he's doing in a minute or two. :mad:

Now the piece of steel has been moved closer to the spiral so it is almost up against the spiral. Ah, the scaffold is just beneath the spiral . A crew just walked around the back of the spiral into the sun and full view. I would now say the steel is against the spiral. Needed extra support or for some other reason?

Last edited:
There are two - three crew on the scaffold working on this in full view of the LC. This view is what I have been waiting for and probably a few others. Now we know it's not permanent since it's back on the ground must've been for measurement.

Now the piece of steel has been moved closer to the spiral so it is almost up against the spiral. Ah, the scaffold is just beneath the spiral . A crew just walked around the back of the spiral into the sun and full view. I would now say the steel is against the spiral. needed extra support or for some other reason?
This is one of those bendy steel things they appear to use to supplement the normal steel cables to hold the crown truss in place securely. It is somewhat rigid but bendable. Somewhere between a steel bar and a cable. I believe it provides more support than a normal cable.

It appears it was necessary to loosen the last girder attached on the west side to provide enough room to get the diagonal spiral into place. Looks like they are tightening it again now that the diagonal spiral is in place.
First time i have noticed that happening. It was not necessary on the west side for a similar operation to attach the diagonal spiral added today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom