the crane the crane | Page 146 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Noob question - will those brown pieces of metal (backstays I think?) be taken down after all the girders are in place, or will they always be there?

we got one camera that was zoomed into much and the other that could be zoomed in but that seems to care about the quad and an air conditioner..

Curious as to why the west side crew uses a platform below every truss segment but the east side does not?

we got one camera that was zoomed into much and the other that could be zoomed in but that seems to care about the quad and an air conditioner..

where is this "other" camera? Link please?

Curious as to why the west side crew uses a platform below every truss segment but the east side does not?

The ground elevation is much lower on the west side, so the top of the crown truss is too high for the telescopic man lifts to reach the spiral-girder mating point. So they have to have temporary platforms to hold the workers connecting the pieces together.

Cuomo just said they are looking at construction workers being classified as essential. Complaints coming in that they have to work in close proximity. Hopefully, this may impact small projects with a lot of manual work rathert than larger scale projects like the Dome where most workers are equipment operators.

Cuomo just said they are looking at construction workers being classified as essential. Complaints coming in that they have to work in close proximity. Hopefully, this may impact small projects with a lot of manual work rathert than larger scale projects like the Dome where most workers are equipment operators.

Yeah, obviously anybody could get it at any time, but the odds must be way higher for something like interior carpentry vs. a lot of the Dome work.

1:30 P.M. Oh Boy! The camera position is really wonderful today. Almost as wonderful as part of yesterday. Someone is sent up to position the camera because somebody else thinks it should be THIS way. Now we don't get to see the main yard on the west side or anything being delivered, lifted or being readied to go up to the crown truss. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
To each his own I guess. I kind of like this better as you will get a better, closer, centered view on the actual work. I'm not as excited about whats happening on the ground.

*ducks

1584645402146.png

Some facts about "Lunch atop a Skyscraper": The shot was taken not on the Empire State Building but on the 69th floor of the RCA building. It was a staged shot by Rockefeller Center to promote interest in its new sky scraper. It was taken on September 20,1932. 11 men 840 feet up. The guy farthest to the right with the bottle is Slovak worker Gustav Popovic. This photo is on the stone at he and his wife's gravesite back in Slovenia.