the crane the crane | Page 148 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

CRANIAC EDUCATION: TBL Telescopic Boom Lift / Since there have been two of these working on the backstays
in front of the camera this is what it is and does.

A telescopic boom lift has an arm that can extend up, forward, and down.

Telescopic boom lifts feature an extendable arm that can reach varying heights. Unlike an articulated boom lift, the telescoping boom has a straight arm that is attached to a freely rotating turntable. The bucket on this type of lift is typically small, holding one person at a time. Telescopic boom lifts are best suited for highly specialized work like electrical repairs or tree trimming in which a single worker can handle the job. Telescopic boom lifts have a longer reach than other options. They are available with an electric operation and solid tires for interior use or gas operation and inflated tires for rough exterior use.
I use a TBL (not like a scissor lift with a telescopic boom) for my Christmas lights. You could fit two people but it would be tight.

Because your exposing the interior to weather it was not designed to tolerate?
It was weatherproofed before they took the roof down which was the plan. And once the truss is completed, they don't want to be waiting for the roof to be taken down to move forward.

Also, they can do both at once, again, so why not.

1584645402146.png

Some facts about "Lunch atop a Skyscraper": The shot was taken not on the Empire State Building but on the 69th floor of the RCA building. It was a staged shot by Rockefeller Center to promote interest in its new sky scraper. It was taken on September 20,1932. 11 men 840 feet up. The guy farthest to the right with the bottle is Slovak worker Gustav Popovic. This photo is on the stone at he and his wife's gravesite back in Slovenia.

This photo makes me tingle in a not good way. I hate heights.

Looks like a spiral is going up on the southwest corner. It looks like the large white crane is doing interior work.

It looks like a piece of one of the old cables has been detached from the rim. Maybe that is the plan for today.

From my limited perspective it looks like they've stopped putting up spirals and girders so the workers can run laps around the top of the stadium. :)

Is this construction considered "essential" by NYS? Non- essential sites are going to close.

Yes. It would be unsafe to leave the crown truss incomplete.

They can only continue to work until such time as the site is considered safe. I'm not in construction managment, architecture, engineering, but putting a roof on the dome does not seem essential at this point.

They can only continue to work until such time as the site is considered safe. I'm not in construction managment, architecture, engineering, but putting a roof on the dome does not seem essential at this point.
Why is it not safe? Take a look at the videos, it's not like people are working in groups.

The Dome is in an incomplete state of reconstruction in an area with only a moderate risk of the virus. It would be stupid to shut it down. Having 150 workers spread over 9 acres is nothing.
Totally agree.

If I was working on that thing, I’d rather be next to someone, than way up near those girders in a basket I’ll tell you what.

9. Construction
  • All non-essential construction must shut down except emergency construction, (e.g. a project necessary to protect health and safety of the occupants, or to continue a project if it would be unsafe to allow to remain undone until it is safe to shut the site).
  • Essential construction may continue and includes roads, bridges, transit facilities, utilities, hospitals or health care facilities, affordable housing, and homeless shelters. At every site, if essential or emergency non-essential construction, this includes maintaining social distance, including for purposes of elevators/meals/entry and exit. Sites that cannot maintain distance and safety best practices must close and enforcement will be provided by the state in coordination with the city/local governments. This will include fines of up to $10,000 per violation.
  • For purposes of this section construction work does not include a single worker, who is the sole employee/worker on a job site.