the crane the crane | Page 159 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Sure is a nice day! A beautiful time to get a new vertical spiral up and then a girder - that would make it a great afternoon. After a 1-2 P.M. lunch we have crew walking in the yard!

Last edited:
We have lift- off of a crew of two - three in the basket of a TBL headed straight up in front of the LC to the bottom of the last girder. Also right in front of the LC is another white crane - it's boom reaching for something to grab its hook dangling from its block. Also the white crane inside the Dome is continuing its removal of the sections of white cable on the Forestry side.
The crew went back up onto the scaffold attached to the middle spiral of the completed down arrowhead. It must be they are either working on threading and tightening bolts one girder to the other or not but they continue working on something that looks like the attachment of one girder to the last one up.

In the background the op of the white crane's boom can be seen repositioning itself as it continues its removal of white cable pieces. The entire North side has now been cleared of cable. Looks really picked up clean over there.

Another TBL with another crew farther up Forestry is working toward the end of the backstay positioned there. Lots of work going on this afternoon at 3:31 P.M. Walter is just sitting and waiting.

The crew up on one of the TBL's has been working on it for at least 1 - 11/2 hrs. I don't think they are tightening bolts and in fact I don't know what they're doing. But, whatever it is - it has to be important for the overall structural integrity of the crown truss.

Guess what 's coming folks another spiral I was hoping for this and it has occurred - cool beans -ummm where is Walt putting the spiral? If we had the previous LC view we could see. Right now it's just hanging
above Forestry almost out of view. Walt just dropped it to another location. As you can clearly see due to the new /old view :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Walt is after something as I see his lifting block and hook moving over in front of the new Clark white crane. It's a railing for one of the girders. there is crew on top of the second girder in that doesn't look like it has a railing so- I hope this crew has himself a safety line/harness he's hooked into. Looks like Walt is swinging to the left and may be bringing it down into the main yard clearly visible to all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
10 girders to go or so.. need a couple 2 girder days.. just need 3 spirals to get the next 3 in place but then 6 more spirals after that for progress beyond the corners.. hope the pieces are sitting out of site..

Wonder when the next real project update takes place. Do they move pieces to prepare around then bring cables in?

It seems like we have a meeting of almost all the cranes except Skylar at the southwest corner of the Dome. Walt is involved holding up the girder of interest at 12:51 P.M. while crew walk on a scaffold just below at the apex of three spirals the arrowhead if you will. The subject of what they are doing is classified.

1585775423275.png

Another TBL with another crew farther up Forestry is working toward the end of the backstay positioned there. Lots of work going on this afternoon at 3:31 P.M. Walter is just sitting and waiting.

10 girders to go or so.. need a couple 2 girder days.. just need 3 spirals to get the next 3 in place but then 6 more spirals after that for progress beyond the corners.. hope the pieces are sitting out of site..

Wonder when the next real project update takes place. Do they move pieces to prepare around then bring cables in?

In this video it shows bringing the cables into the stadium and then lifting them. Around the 4:17 mark.

In this video it shows bringing the cables into the stadium and then lifting them. Around the 4:17 mark.
Is this definitely the approach that will be used to install the new roof at the dome? Is there going to be a ‘cable net’ built on the floor of the dome and hung and raised on the new crown truss?

If so, anyone know its shape? Will there be an outer and inner ring of cables? Just one ring? Or will we use cross hatched simple cables to hang it, kind of like was done with the original roof?

Is this definitely the approach that will be used to install the new roof at the dome? Is there going to be a ‘cable net’ built on the floor of the dome and hung and raised on the new crown truss?

If so, anyone know its shape? Will there be an outer and inner ring of cables? Just one ring? Or will we use cross hatched simple cables to hang it, kind of like was done with the original roof?
I don't know for sure but Pfeifer was mentioned in one of those Hayner Hoyt videos discussing the cable system.

Plus Shenexon posted a similar type of picture of cabling being installed in post #2,661.

And I just went back to check that Hayner Hoyt video where they discussed the cable manufacturer and of course they have taken it down. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you go to the Geiger Engineer's website, their is a pretty good rendering of the dome. It appears that the cables are attached to the rim at the base of where the spirals are attached. Don't know how panels will be attached to the cables, but at least it will give you a perspective.

If you go to the Geiger Engineer's website, their is a pretty good rendering of the dome. It appears that the cables are attached to the rim at the base of where the spirals are attached. Don't know how panels will be attached to the cables, but at least it will give you a perspective.
Geiger’s roof design is a cable truss clad partially with tension membrane and rigid panels, covering the stadium’s 23,250 m² (250,000 ft²) area. The design features an external steel crown truss supported on the existing concrete ring-beam of the original roof and is designed to support more than 6,350,00 kg (7,000 tons) of snow while still providing natural daylighting inside the stadium.

It’s a good picture of the new roof.

Geiger’s roof design is a cable truss clad partially with tension membrane and rigid panels, covering the stadium’s 23,250 m² (250,000 ft²) area. The design features an external steel crown truss supported on the existing concrete ring-beam of the original roof and is designed to support more than 6,350,00 kg (7,000 tons) of snow while still providing natural daylighting inside the stadium.
It's interesting that they lumped air conditioning in with sound system and lighting.

Last edited:
This is helpful. To my eye. It looks like the hard part of the new roof, around the perimeter, is going to hang from 4 major cables that form a diamond.

The interior portion of the roof, the part made of translucent PTFE, looks like it will be held in place by a series of steel bars shaped into arcs.

I don’t think this design involves a cable ring at all. It is a similar concept but quite different. Maybe I am wrong. That is how it looks to me.

It looks like another 7+7 diagonal cable pattern (hanging from the truss structure), this time supporting the roof structure instead of holding down the inflated roof. The supported roof appears to be a 9x9 diamond shaped fabric construction surrounded by a more solid roofing material.

4/2

48°Hi

Some sun, then increasing clouds and breezy

Wind: NW at 15 mph

Wind Gusts: 20 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 13%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 7%

Precipitation: 0.00 in

Rain: 0.00 in

Snow: 0.0 in

Ice: 0.00 in