the crane the crane | Page 168 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Be nice if they painted all that concrete and the silver seats orange while this is going on.
They stopped painted railings a couple of years ago because they had to constantly repaint them. It would be the same for the concrete and seats. It would be never ending and not cost effective. I hope if they install new seats each section alternates between orange and blue seats. It would add a lot of color to the building.

It looks like Walt has something heavy he is lifting. I am going to guess it is the next girder and it is being lifted to get the platform attached below it.

Just as an FYI, I believe this will be the last girder on the west side to be outfitted with a platform. If they are consistent with what was done on the northwest side.

No signs of life on the east side, which usually means they just don't have the next spiral or girder to install yet. The magic number for the west is 4. If they put up a girder today, they are getting dangerously close to clinching the championship. That could happen as early as the end of this week.

East side, dig deep! You can still come back!

It looks like Walt has something heavy he is lifting. I am going to guess it is the next girder and it is being lifted to get the platform attached below it.

Just as an FYI, I believe this will be the last girder on the west side to be outfitted with a platform. If they are consistent with what was done on the northwest side.

No signs of life on the east side, which usually means they just don't have the next spiral or girder to install yet. The magic number for the west is 4. If they put up a girder today, they are getting dangerously close to clinching the championship. That could happen as early as the end of this week.

East side, dig deep! You can still come back!
Looks like that girder is going up without scaffolding.

how fast can they go today on the east side.. the next girder is only one spiral away.. still pushing for 3..

that girder under Walt must be antsy its been sitting there forever waiting to go into the game.

Has anyone else noticed the crane on the interior of the Dome is moving into place pieces of metal all along the interior base perimeter?
Cool. It looks like steel framework. Like something needed to build a roof. Can we assume that is what these pieces are? I saw some long bars being moved to the floor of the dome as well.

040620.jpg

This COVID-19 pandemic along with these unprecedented times we are currently living in has me thinking a bit about that other Dome design that first leaked out from the Walter's Group. I believe one of the main factors of going this particular route vs. that more aesthetically pleasing one was having to displace the football team and possibly even the hoops team for a season. If football isn't played at all this coming fall, and if this thing bleeds beyond even that, perhaps just another example of fate's fickle finger.

This COVID-19 pandemic along with these unprecedented times we are currently living in has me thinking a bit about that other Dome design that first leaked out from the Walter's Group. I believe one of the main factors of going this particular route vs. that more aesthetically pleasing one was having to displace the football team and possibly even the hoops team for a season. If football isn't played at all this coming fall, and if this thing bleeds beyond even that, perhaps just another example of fate's fickle finger.
I also have no doubt that other design would have been WAAAAAAYYYYYYY more expensive, so was it ever really an option?

Skylar is getting jealous...
Looks like Skylar has a box girder on the hook. Something heavy is being lifted anyway.

Regarding who is manufacturing the roof panels, I do not know. If you are talking about the PTFE part, my guess is Birdair. They are located in Buffalo. I believe they have supplied the material for all 3 roofs the dome has used and I believe they make roof panels out of PTFE. Looks like they have been a primary manufacturer for just about every major stadium built in the last 10 years in the US.

Edit: yes, confirmed. Another girder is on its way up on the east side. There will soon be 6 left to go!
Seven.jpg

Last edited:
yup girder going up in the east. 2 girders up by 11 am thats crazy talk.. for some reason the east crew has always been quicker with the release lets see what happens today. wish they had a crane that could be setting another spiral up over there

I also have no doubt that other design would have been WAAAAAAYYYYYYY more expensive, so was it ever really an option?

I think the total cost announced was more expensive as it states the project was to be over $200 mil, but that also included costs for the renovation of Archbold too I believe. The articles below mentions the roof at $105 mil, so perhaps there wasn't much difference at all since this current phase is at $118 mil. That other plan/style could've been done in phases too, just like this current renovation is allegedly going to have 3 phases.

Two girder day. Maybe add a couple spirals in the pm. Could be laying the golden spike next week.
east needs 1 spiral to do the next girder. can they get it done today after lunch?

east needs 1 spiral to do the next girder. can they get it done today after lunch?
There are a couple of them next to Walt. No sign of getting lifted up to be collared yet. They have some work to do to tie the new girder to the back stays and remove the collars and cables tied to the spirals. That will probably take another hour or so.

A spiral this afternoon might be possible. Might even be probable. They seem to be getting in a rhythm where they do the spiral late in the day so they can do a girder early the next day.

Hope it happens.

Yeah I think one more spiral on the east side and finish of the arrowhead on the west side. Then get everything tightened up especially on Walt's end. I think that is what the yellow thing that was assembled yesterday is for.