the crane the crane | Page 170 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Anyone been paying attention lately as far as the University referring to the facility as the Carrier Dome as opposed to The Dome?

It seems as though people were missing from the entire day yesterday so in order to satisfy myself I pushed a little farther. I try to inform I hope I am successful at some of what I observe and research.

SUFaninNJ: Some info, bear with me, I too am a teacher - of athletes. I was an athlete. My father was an Olympic level long distance runner. The genes were passed. As a senior I was an First Team All State prep QB a walk on at SU. I could throw and handle the ball as well as the first team QB and they gave me a scholie. I was the N..J. State Champion 100 yard dash Champion - did the 100 in 9.7 ran 60's in NYC in the armory and was 10 - 0 as a senior starter.
After graduation and coming to CT to work as an Industrial Designer. Zoom through time a bit I became a triathlete and race director doing Olympic and Sprint distance races. The swim was my best aspect of triathlon and I was eventually asked "would you coach me?" so I did. My best pupil I was a 13 year old who competed in her age group in Switzerland and she became World Champion. So I taught many age group kids, college level and adults, a national champion Duathlete who wanted me to coach her because she also wanted to be the national Champion Trialthlete in her age group. We worked on her stroke mechanics visited Baltimore and watched Michael Phelps swim to show her I was teaching her the same stroke, pull, finish , breathing, etc., etc for a year and we accomplished her goal. My mom was a 3rd grade teacher four 43 years. My mother was a great teacher but more than that a great mother. Thanks for your interest in my quiz. And also I was born and raised in NJ. :)
Bill, you are the man!

Are they going with a vertical? I thought they would complete the arrowhead first.

Are they going with a vertical? I thought they would complete the arrowhead first.
I don't remember that was how the north side was done. I would expect the arrowhead to be finished before another girder is added.

I don't remember that was how the north side was done. I would expect the arrowhead to be finished before another girder is added.
I don't remember them ever doing this before. I can only guess that maybe the spirals to complete the arrowhead are not here yet but the next vertical and the girder for it are?

A most interesting development.

How many spirals will it take to finish the Crown Truss? ask tomcat

The 4 diagonal walls each have 11 spirals. This includes three arrowheads on each and a single spiral between arrowheads 1 and 2 and 3. That gives us 44 for the 4 diagonal walls.

The four directional walls each have 6. There are 3 columns on each of these walls apart from the diagonal walls and each has 2 spirals. That gives us 24 for the directional walls.

The total is 68.

How many girders will it take to finish the Crown Truss? ask tomcat

If the question here is how many girders does the crown truss hold, the answer without thinking is 36; one for each of the 36 columns. But this is a trick question. Remember the first spiral that went up had only a baby girder that served as the starter to get the girders going? It looked kind of like Thor’s Hammer. The next girder that attached to it was a little undersized as well, such that when put together, they took the space of one normal girder. After that come, I believe, 35 normal sized girders. So the answer is actually 37.

If the question is, as of today, how many girders are needed to finish the truss, as of tonight, the southeast diagonal wall is missing one girder. It is one girder behind the southwest diagonal wall, which has all its girders installed (but is still missing two diagonal spirals which will presumably be installed tomorrow morning).

They still have to install all 5 girders on the south wall, which still has not had even a spiral installed on it (though the back stays are in place and ready to go).

So If Bill is asking how many are left to complete the truss, the answer is 6 girders. If anyone is interested, I think we have 11 spirals to go. I see now Bill asked this question for gocusecaz. Perhaps he can verify this...he is our spiral expert. I get 11 as follows: 3 spirals left for the southeast wall (the last arrowhead), 2 left for the southwest and 6 left for the south.
I went another direction last time on girders, Tom. But I'm with you this time. 6 girders and 11 spirals looks right. They're really moving now and the CNY weather is amazing!

Last edited:
I wonder what the 2 spirals next to Walt are for. I thought they would be to finish the arrowhead

Maybe waiting for the corner spirals to be installed gives them a little more flexibility in making the final connections. Just a guess.

Maybe waiting for the corner spirals to be installed gives them a little more flexibility in making the final connections. Just a guess.
That final wiggle and shake to line up the last bolts will be crucial!! :)

Bearing some unknown supply issue...the Keystone should be done in 2 weeks.

Great news, hopefully the plumbing has started for roof drains.

Funny, I was over there in the rain the other day. Maybe Friday, I don't remember, one of those days that ends with y. And I was thinking about you and retro and the drain conversation. A lot of runoff was coming off the ring, that's for sure, but I couldn't tell if it was coming out of new drains. Was too tough to get visibility looking up into the rain falling down.

The stuff we do when we're bored...

Funny, I was over there in the rain the other day. Maybe Friday, I don't remember, one of those days that ends with y. And I was thinking about you and retro and the drain conversation. A lot of runoff was coming off the ring, that's for sure, but I couldn't tell if it was coming out of new drains. Was too tough to get visibility looking up into the rain falling down.

The stuff we do when we're bored...
Retro knows the jargon. Basically due to the pressures the pipe will have to stainless or some other metal. It can be welded but he thinks another option will be couplers. The couplers aren't cheap (like $500 each).

I'll try to update after talking to Retro.

Screenshot from 2020-04-07 12-16-45.png

It does look strange to have the new spiral up before the previous one has its compatriots installed.

A strange day. A lot of shuffling around but don't understand what's going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom