the crane the crane | Page 232 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

tomcat - I'm on the fence as far as asking Mr. Sala, again, for a camera for the "Stadium" interior. I, like you, feel Sala is not as you say in favor of anything camera wise for us considering his assistant's original reply to me and feel it may be a waste of my time.

I will contact David Campbell as I think what NJCuse97 suggested may be true - that Geiger may have a camera of their own that we may be able to link in to. I do not want to ask too much as I imagine David is a busy guy but much more receptive to answering questions about the roof as the Engineer of Record so I will get back to him today about a camera. That would achieve a great deal for all of us being able to finally see what is developing inside the Dome/Stadium/?, and follow it through to the finished roof. I will let everyone know when and if I hear from him and / or post his reply.
Sounds good Bill. Good luck. Let's hope for a crane miracle!

First I will toot my own horn. I am no structural engineer, but I called a moving connection, even called a pin connection! Sorry. Isolation must be getting to me.

That connection being squared and plumb, not twisted in any way is crucial. Also crucial will be getting them in exactly the right positions “left to right” so that the align and don’t accidentally lengthen or short the distance the hoops need to span. There will be constant, active position tracking and correcting that will require a slow pace.

BillSU you should tell the engineer you don’t have a web cam and ask for a link just to see if he gives you one we don’t have. I’d bet especially with social distancing, that Geiger has more than one for collaboration between office and field.
Here is my reply just sent at 4:45 to David Campbell Engineer of Record Geiger Engineering. I am hopeful he will respond again.

Dear Mr. Campbell,

I thought I would reply again and inform you that the information you supplied to me was graciously received by all those interested in this project on syracuse.com this morning and all would like to thank you.

The topic of the roof is being discussed by many each day and is by far the most active on the site.

I do not wish to be a nuisance in asking for more information so I will not be though I have been asked two questions pertinent to the roof which, if you have the time to reply, believe it would be very helpful for us to be able to view your work as it progresses.

“You should tell Mr. Campbell we don’t have a web cam inside the Dome and ask for a link to see if he will give you one we don’t have. I’d bet especially with social distancing, that the Geiger Co. has more than one for collaboration between office and field?”

…..and this which I believe is rather obvious.

"Will the fabric arches be painted the same color as the exterior crown truss as the stacked units waiting to be installed are covered in rust?"

I believe that is it and thank you for any information you could provide as you did yesterday.

Regards,

Bill Phillips, SUID '68

From the rendering on the Geiger web site, it appears that there are two diagonal rows of "hoops" in the middle section of the dome roof in addition to the rows of "hoops".

Here is my reply just sent at 4:45 to David Campbell Engineer of Record Geiger Engineering. I am hopeful he will respond again.

Dear Mr. Campbell,

I thought I would reply again and inform you that the information you supplied to me was graciously received by all those interested in this project on syracuse.com this morning and all would like to thank you.

The topic of the roof is being discussed by many each day and is by far the most active on the site.

I do not wish to be a nuisance in asking for more information so I will not be though I have been asked two questions pertinent to the roof which, if you have the time to reply, believe it would be very helpful for us to be able to view your work as it progresses.

“You should tell Mr. Campbell we don’t have a web cam inside the Dome and ask for a link to see if he will give you one we don’t have. I’d bet especially with social distancing, that the Geiger Co. has more than one for collaboration between office and field?”

…..and this which I believe is rather obvious.

"Will the fabric arches be painted the same color as the exterior crown truss as the stacked units waiting to be installed are covered in rust?"

I believe that is it and thank you for any information you could provide as you did yesterday.

Regards,

Bill Phillips, SUID '68
I hope your email said SyracuseFAN.com. ;)

From the rendering on the Geiger web site, it appears that there are two diagonal rows of "hoops" in the middle section of the dome roof in addition to the rows of "hoops".
Yup.

My guess is that these were added to provide more stability to the PTFE portion of the roof, which appears to be supported largely by cables going horizontally across the hard shell part of the roof (along with the vertical posts and the steel arcs).

They have made great progress hanging the big cables from the cross truss. They might be done with that. Now the feverish activity of the cranes on the dome floor has almost stopped.

Let's talk about how this roof is going to go up.

This is what I am thinking...

I am assuming that these cables are all getting attached to the four roof cables that form the border between the hard shell and PTFE portions of the roof. I am assuming the initial goal is to jack up the roof focusing on the connections to this diamond shape. I am assuming the cable net will be brought up to the level of the tension ring, and the roof cables will be attached to the tension ring, and then the diamond will be raised further to the height it belongs (i.e. where the hard shell part of the roof ends and the PTFE part starts.

That should result in a cross hatch of cables lying horizontally over the interior part of the roof that will eventually be covered with PTFE.

From this point, the hard shell roof can be installed and the PTFE portion built.

Make sense?

Last edited:
I noted that earlier. My guess is that these were added to provide more stability to the PTFE portion of the roof, which appears to be supported largely by cables going horizontally across the hard shell part of the roof.
It's hard to tell with renderings, give me a good set of blueprints instead, but you can "see through" the middle section and there appears to be structural support under the middle section besides the hoops.

It's hard to tell with renderings, give me a good set of blueprints instead, but you can "see through" the middle section and there appears to be structural support under the middle section besides the hoops.
Agree, you can see the steel supports under the arcs. It appears they are going to be scaled, so the arcs in the middle will be higher than the ones towards the hard shell. That will give the roof a similar sloped orientation to the old roof.

I think it is going to give the building an old school rafters and beams kind of a feel, only a much newer presentation.

Someone mentioned that we might finally have rafters in the building. That probably hasn't happened until we were playing at Archbold and the State Fair.

It will be interesting to see how they use this new space, and how we choose to display our NCAA banners, bowl game banners, retired jerseys for football and basketball, tributes to our greatest teams, etc.

If they start the process of lifting the cable net sometime in the next week or so, it is probably going to take a while to finish.

For the stadium in London, it took 56 hydraulic jacks and 4 weeks to get it fully in place.

Here is (a different) video on the process:

So when Pete says we won't see the new roof actually going up until mid July, I think he means the cable net won't be fully in place (and capable of supporting the new roof) until then.

Could this be one of the hydraulic jacks?

061820.jpg

It appears there are many models that vary widely in appearance. This is what one looks like up close:

6a117c112785eb6a6a5fd320211035ae.jpg

That was a great and gracious response from the project’s engineer - I’d recommend taking the win and not bothering the guy.
Agree... I think the engineer's done what he can. He's not going to go any farther and publicly overrule a VP. So I'd leave it alone - roof will be going up in short order and all will work out.

Last edited:
Quick update:

It looks to me as though the cables that have been hung from the crown truss down the the dome floor have pretty much all been moved a little since they were just put up. They are less vertical and sloped a bit more towards the floor.

I take this to be an indication they are getting close to starting the process of pulling the cable net up from the dome floor. Hoping this process starts this week.

To me, the cable net the crew is dealing with here is significantly more complex than the one at the stadium in London. This is a cable net for a full roof. It is probably significantly heavier as well.

If the process took a month in London, it will probably take a similar amount of time, perhaps more, in Syracuse. Let's hope it starts soon.

062220.jpg

anyone know why we need a combine? that just rolled in?

View attachment 182878
SU media relations (MR) team doesn't have many game programs to prepare so they've been helping the AD.
<ADJW> Hey, we've had quite a few football players in the combine recently. Maybe we should put out a press release.
<SU MR> You heard the man, go get a combine so our football players can practice

It’s been a long time since we’ve seen a picture or video of the interior of the Dome. There’s been zero updates as well. University PR is non-existent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom