the crane the crane | Page 231 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Retro's source said JPW has been out at "The Stadium". We drove by the old Carrier Corporation parking lot on Thompson Road. It is our opinion that the color it was painted was an exact match of the Crown Truss and those trusses are going to be used in the Roof.

Cool. For those that don’t know, JPW has a location next to Carrier, right across the street from the lots where this material is stored.

And I know for a fact they have used Carrier lots to store materials for jobs they are working on in the past. A number of times, I have seen giant turbine blades for wind farms stored in Carrier lots between JPW and Carrier on the JPW side of Thompson. Though they might have bought those lots from Carrier...

Cool. Are these the arcs that are featured so prominently as a structural element of the interior PTFE part of the roof? They look like they are about the same radius as the arcs in the Geiger drawing.

If so, I hope they get painted white. Skanky rust isn’t a great look in a new roof.

"Skanky rust" is best for welding though.

Apparently two cranes will be used.

Skylar is gone. The worker thought she was heading to South Dakota.
Now that is how to recon a project ... no overwatch (could be spotted); eye in the sky (Lawrinson); infil a couple of Fine Mess spec op guys inside the perimeter, one of whom knows the local dialect; locate HVT's; exfil to the LZ; and boom - barely 20 minutes mission time, no casualties and a fat tranch of intelligence. Textbook. :cool:

Last edited:
I think the best option to enforce people sitting in seats is to use the orange cushions only in areas where you can sit
Wait? What? There are standing only sections now? Wow. Guessing this is to avoid the cost of reinstalling the benches. The blue hairs finally got overruled.

Cool. Are these the arcs that are featured so prominently as a structural element of the interior PTFE part of the roof? They look like they are about the same radius as the arcs in the Geiger drawing.

If so, I hope they get painted white. Skanky rust isn’t a great look in a new roof.

Tough to be sure, (guess work based on all this great recon) but I am thinking the arched rust pieces are the bottom cord of the trusses that will hang from the dome ring to the PTFE portion. I feel the ball at the end is to be attached to the shell to allow movement. It’s called a pin connection. It’s like a hip joint or more specifically a ball joint. The open web trusses in the parking lot will span from rusted arch to rusted arch and support the actual roof.

Don’t hold me to this. It’s just guess work.

Tough to be sure, (guess work based on all this great recon) but I am thinking the arched rust pieces are the bottom cord of the trusses that will hang from the dome ring to the PTFE portion. I feel the ball at the end is to be attached to the shell to allow movement. It’s called a pin connection. It’s like a hip joint or more specifically a ball joint. The open web trusses in the parking lot will span from rusted arch to rusted arch and support the actual roof.

Don’t hold me to this. It’s just guess work.
Makes sense. Probably too big to be the ones for the PTFE section. I guess we will find out soon. The cable foundation of the new roof should be pulled up soon.

I sure hope SU is making a quality documentary on this whole process. I always wish big projects would deliver a documentary on the build for people to understand how it came together and to memorialize the structure. Unfortunately they never seem to produce anything good

I sure hope SU is making a quality documentary on this whole process. I always wish big projects would deliver a documentary on the build for people to understand how it came together and to memorialize the structure. Unfortunately they never seem to produce anything good
A documentary on the dome renovation would make for good content on the ACC network,

Speaking of which, are we the last school in the conference to have a documentary developed for the network? Hoping to see more specific Syracuse content coming on line soon.

I will just add on to this to do an update on progress on the project, as I see it.

It looks like they have heavy cables connected from the crown truss girder junctions (above each column) hanging down. It appears extend all the way to the dome floor.

These cables are in place on the south, southeast, east and northeast walls. That constitutes about half of the columns. I think the only column skipped is the way with the lightning rod in the middle of the east wall. I assume that is not a coincidence and the junctions with the lightning rods will not be getting cables. I don't see blue platforms on those junctions either...can't see how they can get the cables connected without a platform.

Given the cables appear to extend to the dome floor, I am assuming they will be used to pull the cable net up and hold it in place to serve as a major part of the foundation for the new roof. As CuseLegacy foretold months ago, they are surely going to pull the whole thing up at the same time.

They got these cables up last week. If they get the rest up at the same pace, I think they will be finished with installing these cables towards the end of this week.

Then we might have everything in place to bring the cable net up sometime next week, which roughly corresponds (I think) with the timeline TexanMark and retro44 heard from insiders.

There appears to be a big dark colored object up on the crown truss that each of the cables is connected to. What are these? Could they be hydraulic jacks? It is hard to see them but they don't look like the pistons we see in the London video. I suspect they are the dark objects with wings I have posted photos of in the last couple of weeks. I am going to guess they are since no dark objects like these appear in any of the drawings we have seen of the exterior of the new roof.

As an aside, it looks like all of the old platforms that were hung under the crown truss are now down.

Last edited:
Now that is how to recon a project ... no overwatch (could be spotted); eye in the sky (Lawrinson); infil a couple of Fine Mess spec op guys inside the perimeter, one of whom knows the local dialect; locate HVT's; exfil to the LZ; and boom - barely 20 minutes mission time, no casualties and a fat tranch of intelligence. Textbook. :cool:
We drove up to Mt. Olympus on recon. Unfortunately, too much jungle canopy obscured the view into the Dome. We need someone with a drone and a penchant for risky, near suicidal military ops to get eyes on target

sutomcat those dark things with wings are gargoyles. They work cheaply and only require places to roost for eternity and a steady diet of cold, half eaten Dome errr Stadium Dogs

Last edited:
We drove up to Mt. Olympus on recon. Unfortunately, too much jungle canopy obscured the view into the Dome. We need someone with a drone and a penchant for risky, near suicidal military ops to get eyes on target
I like this. A stumpy with a sharp axe might also work. ;)

sutomcat those dark things with wings are gargoyles. They work cheaply and only require places to roost for eternity and require a steady diet of cold, half eaten Dome errr Stadium Dogs
gargoyles.jpg

A documentary on the dome renovation would make for good content on the ACC network,

Speaking of which, are we the last school in the conference to have a documentary developed for the network? Hoping to see more specific Syracuse content coming on line soon.

I will just add on to this to do an update on progress on the project, as I see it.

It looks like they have heavy cables connected from the crown truss girder junctions (above each column) hanging down. It appears extend all the way to the dome floor.

These cables are in place on the south, southeast, east and northeast walls. That constitutes about half of the columns. I think the only column skipped is the way with the lightning rod in the middle of the east wall. I assume that is not a coincidence and the junctions with the lightning rods will not be getting cables. I don't see blue platforms on those junctions either...can't see how they can get the cables connected without a platform.

Given the cables appear to extend to the dome floor, I am assuming they will be used to pull the cable net up and hold it in place to serve as a major part of the foundation for the new roof. As CuseLegacy foretold months ago, they are surely going to pull the whole thing up at the same time.

They got these cables up last week. If they get the rest up at the same pace, I think they will be finished with installing these cables towards the end of this week.

Then we might have everything in place to bring the cable net up sometime next week, which roughly corresponds (I think) with the timeline TexanMark and retro44 heard from insiders.

There appears to be a big dark colored object up on the crown truss that each of the cables is connected to. What are these? Could they be hydraulic jacks? It is hard to see them but they don't look like the pistons we see in the London video. I suspect they are the dark objects with wings I have posted photos of in the last couple of weeks. I am going to guess they are since no dark objects like these appear in any of the drawings we have seen of the exterior of the new roof.

As an aside, it looks like all of the old platforms that were hung under the crown truss are now down.

At the 5:47 mark, are these your winged gargoyles? These look like some type of connector.

Thanks for this explanation NJCuse97. I don't understand the cat's eye reference but everything else made sense to me.

Regarding the half hoop arches that compromise most of the interior part of the new roof, do you know what they are?

Are they made of steel and bolted together as needed to make a chain? Some of them are really long. Can't imagine t those are single pieces.
Tomcat, NJCuse 97 and everyone who may be interested:

Finally got some information about what I was calling the "hoops" that support the fabric from the gentleman below, the Engineer of Record at Geiger and how they are attached to the cable truss and when he expects the roof to be ready to go up and the "fabric arches" to be visible - just got his answer around 7:30 P.M.

Dear Bill,

We received your email and hope we can answer your questions. As the Engineer of Record for the new roof Project, I am flattered at your interest in the project. As for your question, the steel tube arches that support the tensioned membrane (ptfe-coated fiberglass fabric) are referred to as the “fabric arches”. I am afraid there is no established technical name for these elements and like many components in a project like this, their name develops in the course of the project rather organically by the construction team. In this case, the name is appropriate.

The fabric arches are supported by the cable truss which is in turn supported by the new steel crown truss and the original concrete ring beam. The fabric arches are attached to the cable truss by the way of steel fabrications that bolt to the cable intersection clamps. The typical arch attachment is made via a machined ball & socket so as to “pin” the arch to the cable truss. You should be able to see these being attached on the web cam after the cable truss is pulled into place and jacked, which will be occurring over the next 4 to 5 weeks.

I hope this answered your questions. We appreciate your interest in the Project.

Thank you and Best Regards,

David M. Campbell P.E.
Geiger Engineers
2 Executive Blvd. Suite 309
Suffern, NY 10901
t 845. 368.3330 x 111
m 845. 729.1063
dmc@geigerengineers.com

A considerate and informative gentleman. Don't know how well we may see these steel tube arches being installed since there is no web cam except for Lawrinson. Maybe tomcat could email Mr. Sala and ask again for the interior cam(s) unless the university feels they want to make this a big surprise for everyone and we'll say WOW!, when we see it. If tom doesn't want to then I will ask again but perhaps the lack of a cam has something to do with legal reasons, privacy restrictions, etc., and it would be a waste of time.

For me knowing that these "steel tube arches" are what they are called and that the name of them is developed as the job progresses be the construction team confirms NJCuse97's guess that there wasn't a name before the team got ahold of them. Thank you NJCuse97, tomcat and Mr. Campbell.

Tomcat, does his 4 - 5 week time frame agree with your estimate on the cable truss being pulled into place
and jacked?

Last edited:

Finally got some information about I was calling the the "hoops" that support the fabric from the gentleman below the Engineer of Record at Geiger and how they are attached to the cable truss and when he expects the roof to be ready to go up and the "fabric arches" to be visible - just got his answer around 7:30 P.M.:

Dear Bill,

We received your email and hope we can answer your questions. As the Engineer of Record for the new roof Project, I am flattered at your interest in the project. As for your question, the steel tube arches that support the tensioned membrane (ptfe-coated fiberglass fabric) are referred to as the “fabric arches”. I am afraid there is no established technical name for these elements and like many components in a project like this, their name develops in the course of the project rather organically by the construction team. In this case, the name is appropriate.

The fabric arches are supported by the cable truss which is in turn supported by the new steel crown truss and the original concrete ring beam. The fabric arches are attached to the cable truss by the way of steel fabrications that bolt to the cable intersection clamps. The typical arch attachment is made via a machined ball & socket so as to “pin” the arch to the cable truss. You should be able to see these being attached on the web cam after the cable truss is pulled into place and jacked, which will be occurring over the next 4 to 5 weeks.

I hope this answered your questions. We appreciate your interest in the Project.

David M. Campbell P.E.
Geiger Engineers
Suffern, NY 10901
t 845. 368.3330 x 111
m 845. 729.1063
dmc@geigerengineers.com

A considerate and informative gentleman. Don't know how well we may see these steel tube arches being installed sine there is no web cam except for Lawrinson Maybe tomcat could email Mr. Sala and ask again for the interior cam(s) unless the university feels they want to make this a big surprise for everyone and we'll say WOW!, when we see it. If tom doesn't want to then I will ask again but perhaps the lack of a cam has something to do with legal reasons, privacy restrictions, etc.

For me knowing that these "steel tube arches" are what they are called and that the name of them is developed as the job progresses be the construction team confirms NJCuse97's guess that there wasn't a name before the team got ahold of them. Thank you NJCuse97, tomcat and Mr. Campbell.

Tomcat, does his 4 - 5 week time frame agree with your estimate on the cable truss being pulled into place
and jacked?
Bill,

You're the man for going out and seeking all this information!

Finally got some information about I was calling the the "hoops" that support the fabric from the gentleman below the Engineer of Record at Geiger and how they are attached to the cable truss and when he expects the roof to be ready to go up and the "fabric arches" to be visible - just got his answer around 7:30 P.M.:

Dear Bill,

David M. Campbell P.E.
Geiger Engineers
Suffern, NY 10901
t 845. 368.3330 x 111
m 845. 729.1063
dmc@geigerengineers.com

A considerate and informative gentleman. Don't know how well we may see these steel tube arches being installed sine there is no web cam except for Lawrinson Maybe tomcat could email Mr. Sala and ask again for the interior cam(s) unless the university feels they want to make this a big surprise for everyone and we'll say WOW!, when we see it. If tom doesn't want to then I will ask again but perhaps the lack of a cam has something to do with legal reasons, privacy restrictions, etc.

and jacked?
What a great response. Kudos to David Campbell, and to you for asking the question, Bill!

Bill ask him where they are being fabricated at? Also, will they be painted white or some other color?

4-5 weeks could be right for the cable truss jacking...our guy said 2 weeks but he was a worker bee.

Last edited:

Dear Bill,

David M. Campbell P.E.
Geiger Engineers
Suffern, NY 10901
t 845. 368.3330 x 111
m 845. 729.1063
dmc@geigerengineers.com

and jacked?

Forward that e-mail to Pete and say "this is how we humans communicate with one another."

Good on you for asking, good on the engineer for such a nice reply!

Bill ask him where they are being fabricated at? Also, will they be painted white or some other color?

4-5 weeks could be right for the cable truss jacking...our guy said 2 weeks but he was a worker bee.
First, props to BillSU for getting this info and props to David Campbell for preparing a thoughtful and detailed reply. I can ask Pete to consider adding a camera inside but he is clearly not in favor of this and I think it is a long shot he can be convinced to change his mind. Go for it. It can’t hurt to ask again. I don‘t know what else he can do to make it harder to follow the project than it already is.

Pete Sala is on record saying we should start seeing the roof go up in mid July. I do not understand why it will take another 4 or 5 weeks to raise the cable truss, but if Pete and Mr Campbell are both on this time line. I guess it might be true. The video of the place in Texas making the fabric arches is only 4 days old. I think it is very possible they are still making them (they are going to need a lot of them, both in the hard shell part of the roof and the PTFE part). Perhaps that is a big reason it will take so long to get the cable truss up?

Lastly, yes CuseLegacy, I think those are the winged things I have been seeing getting moved around. Good find. You are an expert construction sleuth!

Last edited:
First, props to BillSU for getting this info and props to David Campbell for preparing a thoughtful and detailed reply. I can ask Pete to consider adding a camera inside but he is clearly not in favor of this and I think it is a long shot he can be convinced to change his mind. Go for it. It can’t hurt to ask again. I don‘t know what else he can do to make it harder to follow the project than it already is.

Pete Sala is on record saying we should start seeing the roof go up in mid July. I do not understand why it will take another 4 or 5 weeks to raise the cable truss, but if Pete and Mr Campbell are both on this time line. I guess it might be true. The video of the place in Texas making the fabric arches is only 4 days old. I think it is very possible they are still making them (they are going to need a lot of them, both in the hard shell part of the roof and the PTFE part). Perhaps that is a big reason it will take so long to get the cable truss up?

Lastly, yes CuseLegacy, I think those are the winged things I have been seeing getting moved around. Good find. You are an expert construction sleuth!
First I will toot my own horn. I am no structural engineer, but I called a moving connection, even called a pin connection! Sorry. Isolation must be getting to me.

That connection being squared and plumb, not twisted in any way is crucial. Also crucial will be getting them in exactly the right positions “left to right” so that the align and don’t accidentally lengthen or short the distance the hoops need to span. There will be constant, active position tracking and correcting that will require a slow pace.

BillSU you should tell the engineer you don’t have a web cam and ask for a link just to see if he gives you one we don’t have. I’d bet especially with social distancing, that Geiger has more than one for collaboration between office and field.

BillSU you should tell the engineer you don’t have a web cam and ask for a link just to see if he gives you one we don’t have. I’d bet especially with social distancing, that Geiger has more than one for collaboration between office and field.
This! I would put dollars to donuts that there are multiple project webcams located throughout the Dome, err Stadium, to help monitor progress in light of distancing measures. My guess is that there are one or two that are externalized or at least shared with the University stakeholders to help keep them informed of progress as well. Creative and demonstrative of a safety culture.

First I will toot my own horn. I am no structural engineer, but I called a moving connection, even called a pin connection! Sorry. Isolation must be getting to me.

That connection being squared and plumb, not twisted in any way is crucial. Also crucial will be getting them in exactly the right positions “left to right” so that the align and don’t accidentally lengthen or short the distance the hoops need to span. There will be constant, active position tracking and correcting that will require a slow pace.

Yes NJCuse97, you have been on top of this from day one. Thanks!
They just put one up in the southwest corner, positioned ideally for the Lawrinson camera. This still was taken about 8 AM. If you go back to around then, you should be able to see them connecting it.

061620.jpg

NJ, tomcat, Texan, Otto and interested individuals : here is my reply to Dave Campbell sent last night about 9 P.M. I haven't seen a reply yet but by my text I think he'll get the idea that we need a camera inside:

Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for your expeditous reply.

It was revealing to me that the names of things in the construction industry are created "on the job" if you will. I was calling them hoops - how ridiculous. Now that I know that they are steel tube arches also known as fabric arches I feel educated and have already copy pasted your information for everyone on syracusefan,com where we have been following this historic project from November.

I hope we will be able to view some of the roof construction once the cable truss is pulled into place. However the camera which was fine for the exterior for which I was the play by play person for the project isn't there for the interior.

We asked and told Mr. Sala that this was a project that well over a thousand people watched and followed daily with great interest finalizing in the placement of the keystone girder and would he consider an interior camera for the next phase, the interior? For which I received a curt reply from his assistant that there would be no camera. So, all haven't been able to follow anything aside from guessing from what was going into the Dome/Stadium or watching the upper booms of the cranes inside. Perhaps it's a legal issue? I really have no idea but it is preventing many people from enjoying, being informed and watching history taking place.

I want to thank you for the information provided by you which gives us the name, how the arches will be attached and a time frame. And, for taking the time to involve yourself in our world of which each of us were referred to as "craniacs" due to the huge 580' crane we named Walt that did the lions share of work on the crown truss. Truly special information you returned.

Sincerely,
Bill Phillips SUID '68

Last edited:
Yes NJCuse97, you have been on top of this from day one. Thanks!
They just put one up in the southwest corner, positioned ideally for the Lawrinson camera. This still was taken about 8 AM. If you go back to around then, you should be able to see them connecting it.

View attachment 182650
That is Mortimer Kicksmack the Friendly SU Gargoyle being given his roost. He oversees all on-sides kicks for us.

tomcat - I'm on the fence as far as asking Mr. Sala, again, for a camera for the "Stadium" interior. I, like you, feel Sala is not, as you say, in favor of anything camera wise for us considering his assistant's original reply to me and feel it may be a waste of my time.

I will contact David Campbell as I think what NJCuse97 suggested may be true - that Geiger may have a camera of their own that we may be able to link in to. I do not want to ask too much as I imagine David is a busy guy but much more receptive to answering questions about the roof as the Engineer of Record so I will get back to him today about a camera. That would achieve a great deal for all of us being able to finally see what is developing inside the Dome/Stadium/?, and follow it through to the finished roof. I will let everyone know when and if I hear from him and / or post his reply.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom