the crane the crane | Page 230 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Can't wait to watch Cuse Football games at Holland Stadium in Auburn this fall. Seating capacity of around 3k, but standing room of much, much more. Tailgates will be epic! orangenauburn can attest.
eye roll.gif

Quick update:

I think caz noted this a week or so ago but I will confirm. They are removing the old platforms that hung under the girders one by one. It looks like they will be relying on the blue platforms that hang on the inside of the girders for the roof rising. Even added another one yesterday.

They added an extender to the yellow crane that hangs out on Walt's old area west of the dome/stadium this morning.

Skylar is gone or almost gone now.

Almost all the activity these days appears to be happening on the floor, by cranes. It is hard to see anything of interest. Pete Sala must be a happy man.

Also, I stumbled upon this article this morning. It talks about how air supported domes came to be, why the roof cables are diagonal, and provides a lot of interesting info on stadium design.

I believe the Geiger firm that designed the new roof is headed by the same Geiger that started this whole approach.

That's our guy and that's one of the reasons they went back to Geiger for the renovation, they know what they are dealing with as an existing condition better than anyone. Fun to read that paper and realize it is what, 32 years old?

The scoreboard to me is the lowest priority. I would work it last in September. If it isn't ready for Colgate...not a biggie.

The LED lights will ring the field but they also will have a basketball centric ring of lights too. We should see a much higher quality basketball lighting experience.

hey lets gets creative.. just create an app and have everyone login to it when they sit down and then it uses location info to adjust what light your screen displays.. like the schools that give people placards to flip over. but now you could dynamically change the display any second you wanted too.. just tell people hold up their phones.. we just saved a bundle in lighting and install costs..

I think the best option to enforce people sitting in seats is to use the orange cushions only in areas where you can sit (should there be reduced attendance in the fall).

hey lets gets creative.. just create an app and have everyone login to it when they sit down and then it uses location info to adjust what light your screen displays.. like the schools that give people placards to flip over. but now you could dynamically change the display any second you wanted too.. just tell people hold up their phones.. we just saved a bundle in lighting and install costs..
Even for a devoted Luddite who disdains cell phones, that's a pretty cool idea. If there's an app (reasonably secure) that could allow SU's lighting computer system to access fans' phones and use them as remote lights ... I might even bring mine!

Even for a devoted Luddite who disdains cell phones, that's a pretty cool idea. If there's an app (reasonably secure) that could allow SU's lighting computer system to access fans' phones and use them as remote lights ... I might even bring mine!
It could be great for a pregame show. Maybe just before the 2nd half starts...

It could be great for a pregame show. Maybe just before the 2nd half starts...

looks like they are getting closer to raising the roof cables. You can see some black lines starting to hang straight down from the trusses on the south side.

looks like they are getting closer to raising the roof cables. You can see some black lines starting to hang straight down from the trusses on the south side.
I was looking at the same thing, wondering if they'll do that the whole way around or just in places...

Retro and I stopped by the Dome today. One of the workers said the cable raising will be in two weeks.
I think this is the first confirmation on how the cables will be raised. Cool.

Cool. Are these the arcs that are featured so prominently as a structural element of the interior PTFE part of the roof? They look like they are about the same radius as the arcs in the Geiger drawing.

If so, I hope they get painted white. Skanky rust isn’t a great look in a new roof.

Retro's source said JPW has been out at "The Stadium". We drove by the old Carrier Corporation parking lot on Thompson Road. It is our opinion that the color it was painted was an exact match of the Crown Truss and those trusses are going to be used in the Roof.

Additional info: they are installing 16" carbon steel chiller lines for AC. I'm not sure who is doing the chiller lines. Burns Brothers?

Last edited: