the crane the crane | Page 236 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I connected some dots and concluded that it's highly unlikely that Colgate will be in the Dome on September 19. The Patriot League is requiring athletes report to campus no earlier than the student body as a whole. Colgate classes start 8/27. Even if students are on campus a week earlier, that does not allow for the 6 weeks' practice mandated by the NCAA before 9/19.

From SI.com:

• Athletes would not return to campus before the general student body. Although not every Patriot League school has set its fall academic calendar, that decision makes it highly unlikely that a football team could complete the six-week preparation period in time for the start of the scheduled season opener, as set forth by the NCAA Division I Council, before playing any games. It likely would wipe out all pre-conference scheduling in the league.

Wow. It is one thing to lose a game against WMU, who probably pays a guarantee that is significantly lower than what Syracuse pays. Plus the SU game is a couple of weeks later.

Still hoping this game gets played on the scheduled date.

It looks like they are adding vertical support shafts to the tops of the connectors for the cables that comprise the PTFE part of the roof.

I think they will eventually support the arcs that will top that portion of the roof.

070220a.jpg

You need something to chill the beer, soda, and water in. :p
Pee and Order. Move down the line.
Then Pay and zip.
The ultimate in Multitasking.

The cables are much higher than they were a couple of days ago.
Yes, they pulled them up as much as they could today. They did it using a second set of pull cables. I think this set is attached to the cables that form the diamond border between the hard shell and PTFE sections of the roof.

You can see the actual roof cables are not baring weight towards the ends, where the connectors are.

I think the next step is to drop them down to the tension ring and connect them there, where they will remain long term.

i give them credit; the crew is making good time on this. Well done so far!

Yes, they pulled them up as much as they could today. They did it using a second set of pull cables. I think this set is attached to the cables that form the diamond border between the hard shell and PTFE sections of the roof.

You can see the actual roof cables are not baring weight towards the ends, where the connectors are.

I think the next step is to drop them down to the tension ring and connect them there, where they will remain long term.

i give them credit; the crew is making good time on this. Well done so far!
Tom you have found your calling:)

Update:

You can see that the cable holding a number of the roof cables to the crown truss is no longer connected to the end of the roof cable (where the connector is) but much more toward the center of the roof. My guess is that new connections are being made to the junction is between the hard shell and PTFE parts of the roof meet. Note the slack in some of the roof cables near the crown truss.

That will allow the roof cables to get eventually get connected to the tension ring, where they ultimately belong. Haven't seen any of the roof cables get connected to the ring yet. Expecting it will start to happen shortly.

There is a lot of activity connecting supports to the junctions on the PTFE portion of the roof. The supports are being connected to a second cable that runs parallel to the roof cable, but above it. This aligns the supports vertically, and sets the stage for later, when they will use the supports to hold steel arcs in places. Note that the supports are longer in the middle of the roof and shorter as you get closer to the edges of the PTFE honeycomb.

I drew a simple diagram to try and show this. You can also see it looking at the interior of the roof from the one drawing we have of the new roof from the inside.

IMG_1524.jpg

This will give the PTFE section of the roof a sloped, dome like appearance. Pretty sure the roof cables themselves are going to be horizontal for the PTFE section of the roof.

Getting those arcs up and securely installed seems like it will be one of the most daunting and dangerous tasks remaining. They have to be heavy and getting them in place that high has to be a challenge. Haven't seen any arcs being delivered yet. Can't believe they will do much more on the PTFE part of the roof than continue to get the supports in place and aligned until the roof cables are connected to the tension ring.

Until that happens, they can't put much of a load on the cables.

Are the 2 big red cranes that have just sat around for a week or so going to focus on getting the arcs in place? Maybe some of the steel for the hard shell part of the roof as well?

They have hung a bunch more of the supports below where the hard shell part of the roof will be installed. It looks like they are in place around the whole perimeter of the roof now.

Kind of surprised they aren't working weekends yet. They must be confident they are in good shape, or lack of materials must be holding them back. If it is materials, I don't think it is the steel for the hard shell part of the roof, which has been in Syracuse for weeks now. Regarding the arcs, they had a lot of them finished in Texas weeks ago as well. And we have reports that indicate the PTFE material has been on site for around a month, maybe longer.

From someone at project.

Lots of activity continuing on the inside of the Syracuse University Stadium. A few snap shots of the cable net roof structure in progress. We are getting ready for the final lift in the coming weeks. Also mobilizing (4) cranes to set roof joists and deck once the cable net is lifted and in its final position.CA46C8B2-A68B-4A0F-9FA4-499AAE078FDF.png

Agreed. What is the construction going on at the end of the lake?
Hard to see on my phone but I think it is probably related to extending the trail around the lake. I believe this part will connect where it ends now between I690 and the lake so it ends at Onondaga Creek (and connects to the creekwalk).

It will be an important connection that will allow access to the lake trail from downtown and the south side.

The remaining part, from the east side of Onondaga Creek along the south shore of the lake, then along the east shore to where the existing east trail starts near the Salt Museum, is going to be a challenge. Train tracks run close to the lake shore for most of this run and there is no easy solution.

I fear this section will never get done.

From someone at project.

Lots of activity continuing on the inside of the Syracuse University Stadium. A few snap shots of the cable net roof structure in progress. We are getting ready for the final lift in the coming weeks. Also mobilizing (4) cranes to set roof joists and deck once the cable net is lifted and in its final position.View attachment 183454
That is a good picture of one of the roof cables and how it is connected to the crown truss. You can see the connector, where the roof cable ends, is not bearing weight, just kind of hanging there.

At some point, they are going to have to release that part of the cable and attach it to the tension ring. The roof cable will still be supported by a support cable from the crown truss, but it will be attached several times with short vertical cables, and will end at the point when the hard shell and PTFE sections of the roof meet.

From someone at project.

Lots of activity continuing on the inside of the Syracuse University Stadium. A few snap shots of the cable net roof structure in progress. We are getting ready for the final lift in the coming weeks. Also mobilizing (4) cranes to set roof joists and deck once the cable net is lifted and in its final position.View attachment 183454
That is a good picture of one of the roof cables and how it is connected to the crown truss. You can see the connector, where the roof cable ends, is not bearing weight, just kind of hanging there.

At some point, they are going to have to release that part of the cable and attach it to the tension ring. The roof cable will still be supported by a support cable from the crown truss, but it will be attached several times with short vertical cables, and will end at the point when the hard shell and PTFE sections of the roof meet.

I have a couple more pictures but they won’t load from my phone