the crane the crane | Page 237 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Sent
More recent pictures of the interior, courtesy of Cusetown23. It has become a massive cluster of cables pretty quickly. There are several shots where you can see the connectors that are used to join roof cables to precise 90 degree angles, and the upright supports they are connecting on top of them.

Things have gotten really complex really fast.

image0.jpg
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

I've said it before, but the sheer logistics of this project are mind-numbing. Just looking at all of those cables randomly dangling gives me anxiety.

Being able to see this project step-by-step thanks to this board, should give us all more appreciation of this venue when it's all completed. I know I will be in constant amazement.

Talked with someone this weekend. Don’t want to give too much info. But it will take a miracle for everything to be complete by Colgate. And Syracuse has instructed all construction workers they are no longer allowed to post pictures to social media anymore.

Talked with someone this weekend. Don’t want to give too much info. But it will take a miracle for everything to be complete by Colgate. And Syracuse has instructed all construction workers they are no longer allowed to post pictures to social media anymore.
It's not a surprise they don't want people posting pics to social media, that's definitely frowned upon.

I'd be surprised if construction workers were given the timetable though, that sounds fishy. And if they were worried about timing I think we'd see action on site around the clock.

It's not a surprise they don't want people posting pics to social media, that's definitely frowned upon.

I'd be surprised if construction workers were given the timetable though, that sounds fishy. And if they were worried about timing I think we'd see action on site around the clock.

I understand your skepticism, but I said construction workers were instructed to stop posting pictures to social media, but this was not to say I spoke with a construction worker. I understand this is a vague and disguised message, but I do not want a friend to get in trouble. Not sure if there is any contracts or anything preventing talking and/or not sure what I am allowed to share but he did have a lot of very cool and interesting tidbits regarding the whole process and some of the issues they have run into on the project which I would be happy to share once this is all finished. Just figured I would share 2 of the things to try and repay some of the info I have gathered from this board in the past.

Whatever happens in the next 10 weeks, I doubt Colgate will be playing football on Sept. 19.

So if they are worried about timing they also dont want to spend money to fix it and thats already built into the budget I would think given the complexity of this project. I mean why do they have cranes that cost a ton of money sitting idle for weeks? I also dont know why they would need to hide the fact the schedule is creeping.. If they play colgate at home they have to start having plans if the schedule cant be met, but that also assumes Colgate will be able to play or that we will be playing as well.

Also think the original plans would have been making a building ready for 45K.. We already know at best its 10K and likely 0K right now.. Dont really need sound/video done if there is no crowd to see it.

So if they are worried about timing they also dont want to spend money to fix it and thats already built into the budget I would think given the complexity of this project. I mean why do they have cranes that cost a ton of money sitting idle for weeks? I also dont know why they would need to hide the fact the schedule is creeping.. If they play colgate at home they have to start having plans if the schedule cant be met, but that also assumes Colgate will be able to play or that we will be playing as well.

Also think the original plans would have been making a building ready for 45K.. We already know at best its 10K and likely 0K right now.. Dont really need sound/video done if there is no crowd to see it.
Good points in your second paragraph.

What a shame. Syracuse has some great leaders. And some that are not so great.

Quick update:

Looks like the focus continues to be on getting the vertical supports in place and secured on top of the PTFE part of the cable net.

A delivery was made this morning. Looks like a large quantity of panels. The panels like, from a distance, much like the ones Pfeiffer has been using as the outer layer on the hard shell roofs like have been installing on stadiums.

Still no movement getting the roof cables attached to the tension ring.

Whatever happens in the next 10 weeks, I doubt Colgate will be playing football on Sept. 19.
I gotta think SU has a backup plan.

Months ago, I threw out UB's stadium as a possibility. Cornell could work too. Now with the talk of only 8000 fans or less... that opens up the stadium in Rochester too. Obviously if they go no fans a bunch of options open up.

I gotta think SU has a backup plan.

Months ago, I threw out UB's stadium as a possibility. Cornell could work too. Now with the talk of only 8000 fans or less... that opens up the stadium in Rochester too. Obviously if they go no fans a bunch of options open up.
If I read the press releases correctly, Colgate will not be playing football on 9/19.

The Patriot League has announced that athletic teams must report to campus on the same date the general student population does. Colgate classes start 8/27. Even if the students, hence athletes, report a week earlier, there is not enough time for the Colgate team to get the 6 weeks of NCAA-mandated practice in between 8/20 and 9/19.

If I read the press releases correctly, Colgate will not be playing football on 9/19.

The Patriot League has announced that athletic teams must report to campus on the same date the general student population does. Colgate classes start 8/27. Even if the students, hence athletes, report a week earlier, there is not enough time for the Colgate team to get the 6 weeks of NCAA-mandated practice in between 8/20 and 9/19.
Yup...I agree. Probably a lost cause. Unless, the game could be rescheduled to early December or the bye week.

Of course this is the crane thread... sorry for junking it up

I'll leave you with this.

Yup...I agree. Probably a lost cause. Unless, the game could be rescheduled to early December or the bye week.
Another concern--the Ivy League may announce a 7-game schedule--league games only. The Patriot usually follows the example of the Ivies.

Of course, depending on how the next 2 months shake out, all leagues may be playing only league games.

I asked quite some time ago with no response. Does anyone know what the plan is where the front steps were removed? are they just going to recreate the same set up or something new?

I asked quite some time ago with no response. Does anyone know what the plan is where the front steps were removed? are they just going to recreate the same set up or something new?
No idea. They are probably going to need to use that crane pad just west is the dome until early September.

My guess is that it remains where it is, at least for a while. And they build some steps from Irving to Gate B much like the ones that used to be there.

Would love to see a reproduction of the massive steps and grand arch that Archbold had on its western side. But the locker rooms are in the way. When they build an addition on that end of the stadium, we might seem some meaningful improvements here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom