the crane the crane | Page 238 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

No idea. They are probably going to need to use that crane pad just west is the dome until early September.

My guess is that it remains where it is, at least for a while. And they build some steps from Irving to Gate B much like the ones that used to be there.

Would love to see a reproduction of the massive steps and grand arch that Archbold had on its western side. But the locker rooms are in the way. When they build an addition on that end of the stadium, we might seem some meaningful improvements here.
Wasn't there something about making that entrance more ADA accessible. Then again I might be confusing entrances.

I asked quite some time ago with no response. Does anyone know what the plan is where the front steps were removed? are they just going to recreate the same set up or something new?
I'm not sure they will do much until Phase 2 gets finalized. That land is pretty valuable right there.

No idea. They are probably going to need to use that crane pad just west is the dome until early September.

My guess is that it remains where it is, at least for a while. And they build some steps from Irving to Gate B much like the ones that used to be there.

Would love to see a reproduction of the massive steps and grand arch that Archbold had on its western side. But the locker rooms are in the way. When they build an addition on that end of the stadium, we might seem some meaningful improvements here.
Would love that old arch as well.

Apparently a job site in the area has some electricians, pipefitters and an engineer quarantined. I wonder?

H/T: he knows who he is

Would love that old arch as well.
Would love it. In fact, if SU needs ideas for a modified version of the "Arch", I'm confident that, with NJCuse97's guidance, the SUFan commentariat can put something together!

1594144284445.png

Last edited:
Would love it. In fact, if SU needs ideas for a modified version of the "Arch", I'm confident that NJCuse97 and the UFan commentariat can put something together!

View attachment 183524
I did a paper on the campus for my elective "historic preservation" class. I covered Archbold Stadium as well as the Yates Castle, the travesty that is what Hall of Languages became, and the Sims Hall addition. I also learned about Slocum Hall which had been dramatically changed since its construction (and now fully renovated). I would be happy to help.

I did a paper on the campus for my elective "historic preservation" class. I covered Archbold Stadium as well as the Yates Castle, the travesty that is what Hall of Languages became, and the Sims Hall addition. I also learned about Slocum Hall which had been dramatically changed since its construction (and now fully renovated). I would be happy to help.

As someone who has only seen the exterior, what is the travesty of the Hall of Languages?

As someone who has only seen the exterior, what is the travesty of the Hall of Languages?

They stripped it to a shell in the late '70s and rebuilt the interior. Lost a lot of great woodwork and other ornamental details. There are photos somewhere.

I'm told it had been in horrible shape before this. Snow blowing into classrooms, that sort of thing. And maybe a bit of a firetrap. But it's one of a number of great spaces that SU lost long after society knew better.

Quick update:

Looks like the focus continues to be on getting the vertical supports in place and secured on top of the PTFE part of the cable net.

A delivery was made this morning. Looks like a large quantity of panels. The panels like, from a distance, much like the ones Pfeiffer has been using as the outer layer on the hard shell roofs like have been installing on stadiums.

Still no movement getting the roof cables attached to the tension ring.
Can't tighten the roof cables before all the vertical supports are placed. Necessary for the shape. Lot of progress in the last two weeks.

They stripped it to a shell in the late '70s and rebuilt the interior. Lost a lot of great woodwork and other ornamental details. There are photos somewhere.

I'm told it had been in horrible shape before this. Snow blowing into classrooms, that sort of thing. And maybe a bit of a firetrap. But it's one of a number of great spaces that SU lost long after society knew better.

I assumed the interior was gutted. Unfortunate, and I don't really think the university has had much of a penchant for historic preservation, given how between them and the hospitals, an entire historic neighborhood has essentially been leveled in the past 50-75 years.

I assumed the interior was gutted. Unfortunate, and I don't really think the university has had much of a penchant for historic preservation, given how between them and the hospitals, an entire historic neighborhood has essentially been leveled in the past 50-75 years.
It was called urban renewal. Tear down the old and put up something new and ugly. Common everywhere in the 70's.

Or a parking garage. :(
The worst part of the Hall of Languages 'renovation' was that they added a new floor to the building as part of it.

The old high ceilings were thought to be a waste of space so they ripped out all the old floors, literally only leaving the outer walls of the building standing and rebuilt the inside completely, adding a floor in the process.
As OttoMets notes, this replaced grand, historic architecture with pedestrian cobble.

So now, the windows for a given floor might start and end anywhere.

HL 421
HL%20421%20Student%20View%201600x640.jpg

images

Note the floor for the fourth floor showing near the top of the 3rd floor windows...

It was called urban renewal. Tear down the old and put up something new and ugly. Common everywhere in the 70's.

Could've been worse, much worse, I should be quick to note that. The Rotunno plan for SU's campus in the '60s was really something. Would've looked like the Rockefeller plaza in Albany.

What, you no like workers' paradise utilitarian drab building more than ugly classic Greek, Roman, Gothic, etc. buildings. (Insert gutteral eastern block voice when reading)

Seriously, we as a country went the way of the utilitarian Soviet style buildings for way too long. I love the Dome, but it has always needed a facelift, especially being so close to so much beautiful architecture.

(Steps off soap box.)

I don’t think they have enough workers to work 24 hours a day. I think some decided to stop working during COVID 19.

What, you no like workers' paradise utilitarian drab building more than ugly classic Greek, Roman, Gothic, etc. buildings. (Insert gutteral eastern block voice when reading)

Seriously, we as a country went the way of the utilitarian Soviet style buildings for way too long. I love the Dome, but it has always needed a facelift, especially being so close to so much beautiful architecture.

(Steps off soap box.)
This is why NYCuse97's Gateway-Entrance concept (nod to Archbold) is so appealing ... something to welcome visitors and students and de-brutalize the Dome. Others have suggested brick half way up the facade'. Who knows what the future holds.

Last edited:
They gutted the entire building and inserted a new one in it. To get more space out of it, they put in more floors than the old building had, so the floors don't line up with the windows.

Could've been worse, much worse, I should be quick to note that. The Rotunno plan for SU's campus in the '60s was really something. Would've looked like the Rockefeller plaza in Albany.
I believe it was referred to as "Bronx Modernism" which is a not so nice way of saying ugly (most of my family is from the Bronx).

And, sometimes the new and ugly was a parking lot.

Don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you've got Till it's gone?
They paved paradise And put up a parking lot.
They took all the trees Put 'em in a tree museum.
And they charged the people A dollar and a half just to see 'em.
Don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you've got Till it's gone ?
They paved paradise And put up a parking lot