the crane the crane | Page 252 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Sports related. Full stadium builds from the ground up.

And one of them ended up opening 8 months behind schedule and because they had timelines that were somewhat public it ended up being more of a fiasco.

Tottenham?

Morning update:

The 4 cranes outside the stadium are all working concurrently on the four sides of the building, to get the hard shell frame completed. Each is working counter clockwise and their job will be complete when they reach the triangle the crane adjacent to them started.

Each crane is responsible for installing the framing for 9 columns.

Right now, they all look to be keeping path with each other.

They are each close to finishing the framing for their 4th column, which gets them to around 44% done.

It looks to me as though the framing for each column is independent from the surrounding columns.

If you look closely, there is a small gap between each section. You can see workers hop over it as they walk down the big beams directly. They look very comfortable doing this, which I find amazing.

I assume this independent suspension allows the components of the roof to shrink and expand.

I did a screen capture of the Lawrinson view this morning and penciled in where the hard shell sections will end on the northwest and southwest sections, so you can get a better idea of how big the PTFE section of the roof will be.

072820b.jpg

Speaking of the PTFE section, the cranes inside the dome have been busy adding arcs to it. You can only see one closely from the Lawrinson view but I have also include a screen capture from the Link camera, blown up, that shows several more that have been added.

I am not 100% sure how many arcs are going to be installed. There are 64 squares defined in the cable net for the PTFE section. From the Geiger drawing, it looks like not every square will get an arc, but most will. I am guessing somewhere in the 56 range. So they are much further along installing steel for the hard shell than the PTFE section.

I count 5 in place now but I bet there are a few more than that.

072820a.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, followed a 2,000+ page thread over on SkyscraperCity's forums. Also enjoyed watching Liverpool renovate their stand at Anfield and have been following Everton's new stadium as well.
Woo! Everton!

Morning update:

The 4 cranes outside the stadium are all working concurrently on the four sides of the building, to get the hard shell frame completed. Each is working counter clockwise and their job will be complete when they reach the triangle the crane adjacent to them started.

Each crane is responsible for installing the framing for 9 columns.

Right now, they all look to be keeping path with each other.

They are each close to finishing the framing for their 4th column, which gets them to around 44% done.

It looks to me as though the framing for each column is independent from the surrounding columns.

If you look closely, there is a small gap between each section. You can see workers hop over it as they walk down the big beams directly. They look very comfortable doing this, which I find amazing.

I assume this independent suspension allows the components of the roof to shrink and expand.

I did a screen capture of the Lawrinson view this morning and penciled in where the hard shell sections will end on the northwest and southwest sections, so you can get a better idea of how big the PTFE section of the roof will be.

View attachment 184913

Speaking of the PTFE section, the cranes inside the dome have been busy adding arcs to it. You can only see one closely from the Lawrinson view but I have also include a screen capture from the Link camera, blown up, that shows several more that have been added.

I am not 100% sure how many arcs are going to be installed. There are 64 squares defined in the cable net for the PTFE section. From the Geiger drawing, it looks like not every square will get an arc, but most will. I am guessing somewhere in the 56 range. So they are much further along installing steel for the hard shell than the PTFE section.

I count 5 in place now but I bet there are a few more than that.

View attachment 184912

I was looking at this video again. From the the placement of the "hoops" it appears that where there is the piece of steel standing up between a upper and lower cable of the net, in the center, is where the hoops are being installed. You can also see hoops lying on the floor of the Dome.

Looks like they are out of steel, or almost out of steel, at the western and eastern ends of the stadium. Not much progress on the hard shell in the last couple of hours.

On the positive side, they are putting the arcs up very quickly. The PTFE section of the roof is gaining some ground on the hard shell now. But it is really far behind. Can it catch up?

072820c.jpg

It's lunchtime! At 1:04 P.M. Tuesday. Tomcat mentioned how comfortable the crew is hopping over spaces between beams and walking down them. I also find it so - they are over 100' up and it's like second nature to them. You must get used to it and don't worry about a mis-step. Amazing!

maybe someday they spring the extra $10 or a HD camera
At this point, I would take just aiming the camera they have where it belongs and focusing it on the subject.

How long has the Lawrinson camera been screwed up? Almost a week now?

Does no one check the cameras? Does no one read the boards? Does anyone care?

It's lunchtime! At 1:04 P.M. Tuesday. Tomcat mentioned how comfortable the crew is hopping over spaces between beams and walking down them. I also find it so - they are over 100' up and it's like second nature to them. You must get used to it and don't worry about a mis-step. Amazing!

I just keep thinking about safety harnesses and lifelines.

At this point, I would take just aiming the camera they have where it belongs and focusing it on the subject.

"Does anybody care?" John Adams (played by William Daniels) in '1776', terrific musical. We could do with a few of those guys today.

Caught up on the thread today.

Really appreciate the effort posters here put forth in contributing updates, context, educated opinions and so forth. As a guy who drives 690 east and west weekly, always glancing over at the progress, this threads a treat.

A first for me - all four cranes lifting steel in the air at the same time. Beams except for the smaller crane inside raising arches.
I know you can't see them if they in fact are there but along with Legacy I hope all crew up on the beams are attached in some way by lifelines and harnesses.

I remember one day when it was cold with snow on the ground observing through the Lawrinson LC when suddenly a hand and arm surrounded the lens turned it 180 so you could see the cemetery then supposedly back on its subject correctly and left it there.
THE HAND delivered us this new position and had cropped Walt's pad completely out leaving all craniacs upset and frustrated because all the deliveries and unloading of the columns and girders were now cropped out . Maybe it's the same dude tomcat?

OSHA has to be all over a job of this magnitude. There's no way they aren't strapped.

I remember one day when it was cold with snow on the ground observing through the Lawrinson LC when suddenly a hand and arm surrounded the lens turned it 180 so you could see the cemetery then supposedly back on its subject correctly and left it there.
THE HAND delivered us this new position and had cropped Walt's pad completely out leaving all craniacs upset and frustrated because all the deliveries and unloading of the columns and girders were now cropped out . Maybe it's the same dude tomcat?
I didn't see a hand when it got out of whack this time. I think there was a black screen with a small status message that said 'Re-initializing camera', or something like that.

A few seconds later, it came back to live, off center to the right and pulled way back.

Looks like they are out of steel, or almost out of steel, at the western and eastern ends of the stadium. Not much progress on the hard shell in the last couple of hours.

On the positive side, they are putting the arcs up very quickly. The PTFE section of the roof is gaining some ground on the hard shell now. But it is really far behind. Can it catch up?

View attachment 184941
Just like that another truckload of steel arrives!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom