the crane the crane | Page 256 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Yeah, it's not really slander.
He didn’t do himself any favors with his flippant response to a question from fans, that is for sure.

He and his crew did a great job avoiding a catastrophic failure of the old dome roof. All SU fans should be grateful for that. I know he has been very good to the Edson family since Rob died, which is also very commendable.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that this engineering project is going to finish on time. I think it was extremely ambitious to try and get it done with only affecting the lacrosse schedules. That difficultly was exacerbated by international tariffs and a global pandemic. My hat is off to him (and all the people on the crews who have worked on this project).

In the grand scheme, doing little things like having cameras pointed at the project, framed correctly is not a big deal. He is getting the important stuff done and it looks like the deadline is going to be met.

So well done Pete. Awesome job. But if you could get the Lawrinson camera framed properly, that would also be awesome. ;)

Morning update:

Things are getting interesting as cranes switch the builds they are working on.

The west crane started off building a triangle directly in front of it in the middle of the west wall. It has since worked south and east, installing steel further and further away from it until it finally stopped with the last section of column 6. It started installing steel going the other way now, and has a triangle up and one of those big girders they are using only for the diamond that forms the border between the hard shell and PTFE sections of the roof.

You can see another of the big roof border girders up on a truck bed in the western storage area. My guess is that it will be used to finish off section 6, if the western crane can place it there.

I am seeing the crews start to preassemble adjacent smaller girders together so the crane can bring 2 pieces up at the same time. They are getting better at this as they go along. I got a screen capture you can see belong (along with that big border girder that I think is going to top off section 6 of the western build).

Lots of steel in the western storage area. Looks like the west crane will mostly be building north now. The crane in the northwestern corner is continuing to build south, which makes me think the north build and west build will be the first two to connect.

For now anyway, it looks like the crane to the northeast is on its own continuing to work on the eastern build, continuing to head north and now mostly west.

Likewise, it looks like the crane in the southeast corner will continue to work on the southern build, finishing the southeast corner and heading north to meet up with the eastern build. But the crane in the southeast corner might at some point need to finish up the western build so it connects to the southern build. It looks like that will fall to it. I am guessing that will be the last section completed. The western crane can't be positioned at the corner, which would be the ideal place for it, and the southwest corner is where the ground is furthest from the roof, so it is a tough place to hang steel.

080320.jpg

He didn’t do himself any favors with his flippant response to a question from fans, that is for sure.

He and his crew did a great job avoiding a catastrophic failure of the old dome roof. All SU fans should be grateful for that. I know he has been very good to the Edson family since Rob died, which is also very commendable.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that this engineering project is going to finish on time. I think it was extremely ambitious to try and get it done with only affecting the lacrosse schedules. That difficultly was exacerbated by international tariffs and a global pandemic. My hat is off to him (and all the people on the crews who have worked on this project).

In the grand scheme, doing little things like having cameras pointed at the project, framed correctly is not a big deal. He is getting the important stuff done and it looks like the deadline is going to be met.

So well done Pete. Awesome job. But if you could get the Lawrinson camera framed properly, that would also be awesome. ;)

You are pretty comfortable they will finish on time now? It seemed like they were making up some ground pretty well recently, but I was still curious about that and I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about the specifics.

You are pretty comfortable they will finish on time now? It seemed like they were making up some ground pretty well recently, but I was still curious about that and I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about the specifics.
Yes, this is what I am hearing. And what I am seeing. Also, I believe with the schedule pushed out, the first home game is likely going to get pushed out to 9/26. That extra week also helps a lot.

It could be that when we reach a certain point of the build the crew size could change in a big way to speed up the roof too.

Yes, this is what I am hearing. And what I am seeing. Also, I believe with the schedule pushed out, the first home game is likely going to get pushed out to 9/26. That extra week also helps a lot.
Tom, do you know if the plan was always for 4 cranes to erect the steel roof or were additional cranes added in order to speed up production?

Tom, do you know if the plan was always for 4 cranes to erect the steel roof or were additional cranes added in order to speed up production?
I don't know. Details on the project are very hard to come by.

When is the last time Pete Sala had a presser or released an update?

Has it been since March? Are they due to talk about where things stand, what still needs to be done, how things are going, etc?

I know COVID makes these things harder but a even a Zoom type thing with a simple Powerpoint would be appreciated.

Has it been since March? Are they due to talk about where things stand, what still needs to be done, how things are going, etc?

I know COVID makes these things harder but a even a Zoom type thing with a simple Powerpoint would be appreciated.

There are like a few dozen, to maybe a max of a few hundred, people who actively give a shite about the day to day progress of this project.

Now, clearly, we are in that overzealous minority here. ;)

As much as we would love some sort of update, that’s not actually his responsibility.
His job is to oversee this project and try to get it done on schedule, or as close to it as possible.

Given the nature of every construction project ever is to be late and over budget, what’s the upside to him coming out and officially stating that?

There are like a few dozen, to maybe a max of a few hundred, people who actively give a shite about the day to day progress of this project.

Now, clearly, we are in that overzealous minority here. ;)

As much as we would love some sort of update, that’s not actually his responsibility.
His job is to oversee this project and try to get it done on schedule, or as close to it as possible.

Given the nature of every construction project ever is to be late and over budget, what’s the upside to him coming out and officially stating that?
This is the most public and visible construction project at SU since what? When the dome was originally built?

There were pressers and updates done regularly during the first part of the project. He gave plenty of info to the press for stories on the project.

Given that, the change to complete secrecy down to even threatening to fire workers who post info on social media, is pretty noticeable.

I disagree with you on your opinion that only a couple dozen people care about the project. But I have no proof to provide; just my personal experiences living in CNY and talking with people.

I felt strongly the university should promote the project and take advantage of free positive press about the athletic department and its' programs.

With COVID, it certainly is not as important as it would have been. I am genuinely interest though in whether there will be any further updates. Are they just going to complete it and not say a thing about it?

This is the most public and visible construction project at SU since what? When the dome was originally built?

There were pressers and updates done regularly during the first part of the project. He gave plenty of info to the press for stories on the project.

Given that, the change to complete secrecy down to even threatening to fire workers who post info on social media, is pretty noticeable.

I disagree with you on your opinion that only a couple dozen people care about the project. But I have no proof to provide; just my personal experiences living in CNY and talking with people.

I felt strongly the university should promote the project and take advantage of free positive press about the athletic department and its' programs.

With COVID, it certainly is not as important as it would have been. I am genuinely interest though in whether there will be any further updates. Are they just going to complete it and not say a thing about it?
Workers usually sign an NDA when they're working on a project like this, so yeah, they shouldn't be posting pictures online. That's across the industry, not just at SU.

Honestly, the entitlement that you think you deserve a powerpoint presentation from Pete Sala himself is pretty hilarious.

Workers usually sign an NDA when they're working on a project like this, so yeah, they shouldn't be posting pictures online. That's across the industry, not just at SU.

Honestly, the entitlement that you think you deserve a powerpoint presentation from Pete Sala himself is pretty hilarious.
I didn't say that but if posting this makes you feel happy, I am glad for you.

Covid has put a damper on any project updates as im sure everyone involved realises the draconian devastating consequences that a covid related stoppage of work would create. This is all about risk mitigation. Less is best.

Thanks, Tom. Didn't mean for this question to start a heated debate on whether Pete or SU should provide more information on the project (I wish they would). Just thinking that it can't be cheap to rent/operate that many cranes for an extended period of time.

I know you were exaggerating to make a point, but I don't get the umbrage. No one's expecting Pete to hold daily pressers. I'm sure the project is very demanding, and we're all happy he's focused on completion. OTOH, the Dome reno is the biggest project at SU in 40 years. So I would have expected at least occasional progress updates the last couple months instead of radio silence. It's not a slight to Pete to say it deserves to be promoted more rubustly ... given the importance to fans, community members, students and recruits.

Last edited:
That's a bit of a straw man. No one's expecting Pete to hold daily pressers. I'm sure the project is very demanding, and he's devoted his career to SU. OTOH, the Dome reno has a huge public profile (biggest project at SU in 40 years). So I would have expected at least occasional updates instead of radio silence. It's not a slight to Pete fto say it deserves to be promoted more rubustly ... for fans, community members, students and recruits.
I mean, if you've been following this thread as intently as some of us have, it's pretty obvious Pete has emerged as a punching bag for some reason. And some people do believe he should be doing daily pressers. We'd all love more updates. But the incessant complaining about not having updates is really getting old.

There is absolutely no correlation between that rendering and the quoted budget/price. That is in large part why the architecture team was removed. As an architect, I personally would have preferred to see Populous or another firm of their like retained to work on this project, but the money wasn’t there, and shame on the Populous team if they could not stay within an established budget (it is fair to consider their design was more about construction feasibility than cost). I do believe they are still attached to the project for internal work, like bathrooms, ADA, and concourse experience.

I agree, I also wish that an architect of Populous' stature, or HOK, etc. had been retained. Here's a direct quote of Sala's about a month after the infamous leak.

"We're working with Populous on those different facade options. We've talked about using ETFE in some of the wall panels. It's challenging with the building, but it's definitely something we're looking into."

Perhaps as you allude, there wasn't any correlation, although it's interesting that The Walter's Group had it originally on their website, along with other particular material/steel specifics required, including suspension fabrication. Turner Construction was the apparent GC/Construction manager as well at the time.

A year or so later when Carlson (I believe) from the Syracuse newspaper reached out to get a status from Turner, their response was that 'we are currently in a holding pattern' or along those lines. A year from that (2 years after the original leak) the current roof/structure being erected was reintroduced to the public. Interestingly, Turner was no longer involved nor was The Walter's Group. There were articles about the stink SU made after the so called leak...I'm guessing due to that apparent stink, it's not a coincidence they are not involved and SU went in another direction.

So, in that regard, they apparently cut off their nose to spite their face. ;):)

Last edited:

Oh come on. The fanbase here is basically a defacto group of shareholders in the University. This was an opportunity missed by SU.

Oh come on. The fanbase here is basically a defacto group of shareholders in the University. This was an opportunity missed by SU.

YEAH!! We could have become even MORE FANatic than we already are!!!
144% baby!! :p
Freebase this roof project straight into my veins!!! ;)

HUUUUUUGE missed opportunity to drive interest in a project...
that the public may not actually be able to enter until 2021 at this point.

To change the subject I found this on the FabriTec twitter. Looks like a lot of pulling and tugging involved in the installation of the ETFE. Probably similar to the installation of the PTFE.

The ridiculousness of this was highlighted in your post speculating about the final roof color.

Imagine - a $100-million-plus project involving the University's only building with national visibility, and with 7 or 8 weeks to go before work wraps up, nobody even knows what color the roof will be.

From the top all the way down, they do a poor job with simple things.

If SU was building a $200 million new dorm that has new bells and whistles never seen on campus do they do that in complete secrecy? this is a building the likes of which we will never see around here for another 30+ yrs.
Building interest helps the school and athletics in the long run.

Pete is a tremen

The Straw Man Cannot Be Defeated | The Scientific Skeptic