the crane the crane | Page 258 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Really hope they add LED lighting on the crown truss and roof at some point. It is the kind of thing that will really make the project come to life.

I found another live, streaming camera that shows the dome.

I think it is also located on the roof of Link Hall, but it is a much better quality camera that provides s more close up, detailed look at the roof and crown truss. I think it is supposed to show the SU red tailed hawks.

Maybe they will pop up and make an appearance as well.

I thought the Washington NFL team was the Redtails. Are we changing too!? Better than the Wolfpack I guess.

Not challenging your taste or opinion here, just providing some food for thought.
I always saw the solution (even before the leaked renderings) as having to be something like CenturyLink Stadium
View attachment 185292
If there is any potential encouragement in that for some folks, consider the next image for down the road.
View attachment 185293

Sure would be nice too if they ever enhanced the Dome facade somewhat down the road to soften the cold/unwelcoming look of all that concrete. :)

I was initially not a fan of the crown truss when drawings were first shown publicly.

I was back in Syracuse for the Fourth and saw it while driving on 690 West before getting off at Teall Ave and it completely changed my opinion.

The scale from that distance is massive and I think it’ll look very cool. Especially whenever they raise enough cash to light the exterior.

It’s tough picturing the end result without the roof but the crown truss made it stick out to me more prominently then it used too.

I’m optimistic it’ll look very cool in 2-5 years.

Last edited:
Morning update:

First contact? I think a long piece of steel was just placed between the eastern and northern builds that might have connected them for the first time. As is often the case, the angle is tough to see and I am not 100% sure.

080520.jpg

There is a lot of steel in place at the western storage area, and it looks like a big focus for today is closing the gap between these two builds. Should be interesting to watch.

Also, note that in addition to providing the best resolution of any of the streaming cameras on the dome, the red tailed hawk streaming cam (believed to be installed on the roof of Hinds Hall) also gives you the ability. like the Lawrinson camera, to go backwards and 're-watch' action. It only goes back 4 hours though.

It is the best place to watch progress on closing the gap between the south and east builds.

080520rth.jpg

Last edited:
They sure did place a lot of perpendicular beams in 40 mins since you posted that image. That whole base rows looks to be just about filled in.

Morning update:

First contact? I think a long piece of steel was just placed between the eastern and northern builds that might have connected them for the first time. As is often the case, the angle is tough to see and I am not 100% sure.

View attachment 185314

There is a lot of steel in place at the western storage area, and it looks like a big focus for today is closing the gap between these two builds. Should be interesting to watch.

Also, note that in addition to providing the best resolution of any of the streaming cameras on the dome, the red tailed hawk streaming cam (believed to be installed on the roof of Hinds Hall) also gives you the ability. like the Lawrinson camera, to go backwards and 're-watch' action. It only goes back 4 hours though.

It is the best place to watch progress on closing the gap between the south and east builds.

View attachment 185315
Is it me or is that an arc where the men are standing on the steel in the other camera view.

Screenshot (12).png

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like they are attaching an arc from the point where the hard roof meets to the corner of where the other, central arcs are based.
That is the last arc for the diagonal line of arcs, that actually lined true east-west. Looks like they had a devil of a time getting it into place.

I’m sure it’s been said on here multiple times but I’ve just missed it. How much taller is the new roof compared to the old roof?

I’m sure it’s been said on here multiple times but I’ve just missed it. How much taller is the new roof compared to the old roof?
29.5 feet at the center of the roof. I believe the old one was 159 and the new one is going to be 188.5.

That is the distance from the field to the top of the roof.

I'm...not sure what I am looking at right now. They are installing some sort of giant, pre-connected piece that goes around the big arch they just put in?

? It is hard to keep track of the beams being lifted. Once they leave the yard were the big red crane is hoisting and gets lowered against all that white background it's hard to track it. Plus they have been going on the outside between the columns with some and inside the others on the west end nearest the camera. You have to keep your eye focused on the beam or you lose it. Also today when you compare the LC shot on the LIVE CAM Hayner page 1 to get into the LC it seems like the focus is off today. Not nearly as sharp as usual.

Last edited:
I'm...not sure what I am looking at right now. They are installing some sort of giant, pre-connected piece that goes around the big arch they just put in?
I'm watching something like "chain link" being lowered now.

Over the last hour or so, the west crane has brought up around 20 pieces of flat grey metal. It looks like they are being installed near the tension ring. Given their color, I wonder if these pieces are the start of the exterior surface of the hard shell part of the roof?

I know there are a lot of flattish grey metal pieces in various storage areas around the city. Storage areas that have been used to store material for this project. At this point, almost all the arcs are in place and there isn't much infrastructure steel left to install for the hard shell either.

It is looking at this point like the hard shell is going to have a grey, metal exterior.

Over the last hour or so, the west crane has brought up around 20 pieces of flat grey metal. It looks like they are being installed near the tension ring. Given their color, I wonder if these pieces are the start of the exterior surface of the hard shell part of the roof?

I know there are a lot of flattish grey metal pieces in various storage areas around the city. Storage areas that have been used to store material for this project. At this point, almost all the arcs are in place and there isn't much infrastructure steel left to install for the hard shell either.

It is looking at this point like the hard shell is going to have a grey, metal exterior.
Probably not the exterior surface though, chances are they'd lay something down over the grey metal pieces for waterproofing and aesthetics.

tom - I didn't see any flat grey metal. The crane was lifting beams, hoisting them up and lowering them towards the edge of the west wall right near the walkway and I was watching for a couple of hours? But now that I have tweaked the resolution and can see - maybe I missed what you saw?

sutomcat
Probably not the exterior surface though, chances are they'd lay something down over the grey metal pieces for waterproofing and aesthetics.

Back again to the Cape Town video. There are flat gray metal pieces that the hard shell panels are placed in then caulked over.

sutomcat

Back again to the Cape Town video. There are flat gray metal pieces that the hard shell panels are placed in then caulked over.
I hope so. I will feel a lot better if they start laying out a grid of 6 feet by 6 feet squares shortly.

Those giant wooden boxes I have loaded pics of give me hope we get a tile exterior. That solution, which allows the tiles to shrink or expand depending on temperature, seems very well suited to the climate in Syracuse. We should find out soon which way we are going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom