the crane the crane | Page 268 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Agree, this doesn't make a lot of sense. On the Link Hall camera, looking at the tarp on the quad...it is huge.

It is folded at least in half and it looks like it might cover 1/2 the quad, maybe more.

Today, you can see some of the blue tarp (or whatever it is) that is already up on the roof.

View attachment 185827
Is it an optical illusion or do those panels look more white than blue this morning?

I was close on the size too. It's a really big tent. 40'X160'

Is it an optical illusion or do those panels look more white than blue this morning?
I think as they spread it out and there are less layers of it, it is getting lighter and lighter.

I am trying to figure out exactly where it is. It looks like it might be getting laid out as a roll going from the north to south, starting from right about the middle of the roof.

Tried to find examples of PTFE fabric that started out blue. Have not been able to find any.

Update: there is blue PTFE fabric out there. And for a nominal fee, you can own some.

Last edited:
E6475495-E7F0-4FE9-BA13-B9AFC1800BAF.jpeg

naughty pants at it again

That's a great shot, and clearly shows the three other sides are solidly connected. The covering DOES look ridged or corrugated a bit, but it's hard to really tell...

That's a great shot, and clearly shows the three other sides are solidly connected. The covering DOES look ridged or corrugated a bit, but it's hard to really tell...
Yes, this picture confirms that the grey-blue stuff is not just a tarp. There are panels underneath it. I do think there is a tarp on top if it. I am assuming it is there to protect it from scratches? Maybe to ensure it doesn't get wet? This picture appears to have been taken this morning. The one section you are see with panels is the only one in the section of the hard shell part of the roof that borders the PTFE section.

I wish a pic was taken directly overhead, so we could see what is going on with the blue tarp looking thing.

You can see a couple of structural cables near the center of the roof have what appear to be other cables looped around them. I am assuming those will provide power and possibly communication for the LED lighting, the sound and the center hung scoreboard.

It looks like there is a mass of cables going down one of the vertical support poles right about dead center in the roof. I bet that will connect to the center hung scoreboard.

Also, those slats put haphazardly on top of the hard shell steel all over the place are where the panels and tarp are stored for when those areas get a covering put on them.

The next area to get covered and hidden from view is of course the one area where we can (could) see into the stadium. We are soon to be almost completely blacked out from the interior of the dome.

One other thing: this picture really gives us a good understanding of how big the PTFE section of the roof will be relative to the hard shell section.

The old roof had a center section that let in a lot more light than the surrounding sections, which had two layers of fabric, so they could pump hot air between the layers when it was snowing to melt it away.

But it was a lot smaller than this center section. And the fabric for the new roof will be more translucent than the old roof was. Of course, the hard shell part of the roof will block 100% of the light from coming in.

I will be interested to see how much natural light comes in from the outside on a sunny day once the new roof is completed. My guess is it will end up being pretty close to the the same as the old roof, but there will be a much different feel with a big part of the roof blocking the sun completely.

Last edited:
Let's talk about the material they are putting up over the steel on the hard shell part of the roof.

Is there any way it could be the final exterior surface? I think NJCuse97 suggested a composite metal solution like this from Centria (whose web site is finally working again):

Looks like you can get this one in widths of up to 40 inches. They have a length (height) of 16 inches for the smooth. That might be what they are going with based on what I can see.

It looks like there might be white insulation on the underside of these panels. And that tarp that are using to great pains to be sure the panels covered...why would they do that unless it was really important not to scratch the surface of the panels?

Sound plausible NJCuse97? What are your thoughts?

Sometimes I get the feeling this crew is messing with me.

In the last few minutes, some stuff has been brought up from the western storage area and placed on the first section that got the grey-blue treatment.

I don't know what it is. It looks kind of like shards of grey colored glass. I will bet they are metal but the shapes are very strange.
A bunch have been put up near the base of the section, pointing up, giving it the look of a grey tiger.

What in the world is going on?

081220E.jpg

081220f.jpg

081220G.jpg

081220h.jpg

Wonder what the deal is with crane 5, hasn't moved all day.

Sometimes I get the feeling this crew is messing with me.

In the last few minutes, some stuff has been brought up from the western storage area and placed on the first section that got the grey-blue treatment.

I don't know what it is. It looks kind of like shards of grey colored glass. I will bet they are metal but the shapes are very strange.
A bunch have been put up near the base of the section, pointing up, giving it the look of a grey tiger.

What in the world is going on?

View attachment 185855
View attachment 185856

View attachment 185857
View attachment 185858
I wonder if those pieces will fill in the gaps between the gray hard shell sections that have been put up? As of right now these are spaces where the beams are don't appear water tight.

I wonder if those pieces will fill in the gaps between the gray hard shell sections that have been put up? As of right now these are spaces where the beams are don't appear water tight.
This is why I don't think that that's the final roof covering. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my thought.

Could this be the underlayment with a hard shell going over it....wasn't it said that they could change the colors of the new roof inside?...maybe this is the material that allows that

Let's talk about the material they are putting up over the steel on the hard shell part of the roof.

Is there any way it could be the final exterior surface? I think NJCuse97 suggested a composite metal solution like this from Centria (whose web site is finally working again):

Looks like you can get this one in widths of up to 40 inches. They have a length (height) of 16 inches for the smooth. That might be what they are going with based on what I can see.

It looks like there might be white insulation on the underside of these panels. And that tarp that are using to great pains to be sure the panels covered...why would they do that unless it was really important not to scratch the surface of the panels?

Sound plausible NJCuse97? What are your thoughts?
Sounds plausible to me. I can't see them using anything but a composite panel, but I am open to being wrong.

Morning update:

Crane 5 has not moved in a very long time. It is a big, heavy crane and it is being asked to haul some heavy metal pieces a long way. That would be fine but they are trying to make this happen from the middle of a steep hill. If you look at the base of the crane, it is clear they went to some lengths to try and get it stable and provide a solid platform to operate from.

I know they did a little testing once it was finished. My speculation is that the testing did not go well. My speculation is that it was determined that the crane is not stable enough to lift heavy loads. What next? I don't know. Maybe they are waiting for some specialized base for cranes that allow them to operate on steep hills.

I haven't seen any movement with the mystery blue fabric that was put on top of the PTFE part of the roof a couple of days ago. My guess is that it was secured there for later installation, and they are going to hold off on that until the hard shell is finished.

Speaking of the hard shell, there is still some steel going up on the east end. Last I knew, even as late as this morning, the cranes at the northeast and southeast corners of the dome were at work. They have to be very close to finishing.

Progress on getting the grey-blue base on the roof has been very slow. It is weird because when they start work on a section, it goes very fast. It appears they can complete a section in 30 or 45 minutes. Why are there such long delays?

And why are they putting those weird shard shaped pieces (they appear to be metal) on top?

Will they soon start installing more of the grey-blue treatment in other parts of the hard shell?

With the press not covering this at all, the SU project management team very tight lipped and everyone on the crew ordered not to post anything on the Internet, information is very hard to come by. BillSU and his project manager friend might be our only hope.