the crane the crane | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I think it's on Hendricks Field. A lot of stuff is staged over there.
I looked for it there when I went to the Iowa basketball game on 12/3. Did not see any steel there. There were a lot of orange traffic partitions, some big concrete tubes (for sewage/drainage?) and some construction equipment. But no steel. It is fenced in and they have a mesh over it to make it hard to take a look so maybe I missed it. But I don't think so.

I looked for it there when I went to the Iowa basketball game on 12/3. Did not see any steel there. There were a lot of orange traffic partitions, some big concrete tubes (for sewage/drainage?) and some construction equipment. But no steel. It is fenced in and they have a mesh over it to make it hard to take a look so maybe I missed it. But I don't think so.

I think it's kind of hard to see in the dark. It's been at least a couple weeks since I was there during daylight hours, but I remember a decent quantity of steel along the fence in front of Baker, near the back of the staging area.

May be stupid question but I’ll leap in anyway. As far as letting natural light in, would it not be better for any kind of flashy player entrance if there wasn’t much natural light and the lighting program can go unburdened?
The PFTE part of the roof was originally going to be a lot more translucent than it is going to end up being. Heck, at one point, they were seriously considering using ETFE, which is completely translucent.
SUAD JW and PS decided after seeing some demonstrations that allowing strong sunlight into the Dome would cause problems with day games (no doubt they were right on this).

So the new roof will be a little more translucent than the one we have today but not much more. We will not be able to do cool introductions or light shows in the dark for day games. It is the price you must pay if you want the building to be infused with natural light during the day.

This is going to make night games more special, I think. Hope we end up getting more night football games with the new roof. I suspect they will be more popular once this gets going, especially if we opt to put in or rent one of those uber cool laser shows some pro teams use (like the Las Vegas hockey team).

just based on what they have up they must be able to install several more pieces of the big boxes before they need to do more steel?

just based on what they have up they must be able to install several more pieces of the big boxes before they need to do more steel?
They have all the back stays (temporary steel) in place on the north side of the building necessary to join the two sections of box girders together.

Not sure if the have the steel spiral columns or the box girders on site to make it happen.

From today
9E8B3F86-09C0-4692-BCBB-EC7ECF4A3B8C.jpeg

another spiral pipe going in. better viewed from weatherstem cam.

i wonder if we'll see th
Good weather for a few days. They can make time.
with good weather and learning curve, I'm thinking they'll make it. fingers crossed for low wind conditions.

Link?

I would assume another box girder will be put up to extend the section in the northeast corner more towards the section on the northwest corner. That probably won't happen until tomorrow though.

I think when that happens, they will just have the five columns of the building that face directly north to do until the two sections are connected. If they work some on the weekend, that connection might be completed sometime around the middle of next week.

Back Side Dome 12112019.jpg

Last edited:

I would assume another box girder will be put up to extend the section in the northeast corner more towards the section on the northwest corner. That probably won't happen until tomorrow though.

I think when that happens, they will just have the five columns of the building that face directly north to do until the two sections are connected. If they work some on the weekend, that connection might be completed sometime around the middle of next week.

View attachment 173984
instead of Cali awards, we should do Craney awards to hit certain predictions. date of Full ring closure. date of North side connection. date of End zone connections, etc.

I probably know about 10% of what is actually going on but it is so frustrating seeing these million dollar machines sitting there idle while the weather gets worse and worse. Walt works and Skyler is idle. Skyler works and Walt is idle. What?

I probably know about 10% of what is actually going on but it is so frustrating seeing these million dollar machines sitting there idle while the weather gets worse and worse. Walt works and Skyler is idle. Skyler works and Walt is idle. What?

You would think it was a government job. I hope they paid a flat rate for those cranes and not a per diem.

40 or 50 years from now they will have to replace the new roof. The complexity of this project has me wondering if they factored in any engineering challenges with that future decision. If they want to build a new hard roof in 2065 will they be able to remove the crown truss without causing a total collapse? Maybe at that point the Dome itself will need to be demolished for a new facility.

Most of us probably will not be alive to find out. :(
The Dome is what, 40 now? 40 more and it will be older than Archbold was when it was removed. That was once state of the art too.

The Dome is what, 40 now? 40 more and it will be older than Archbold was when it was removed. That was once state of the art too.
So am I but you don’t see them putting a crown truss on my ass.

i've been thinking about the safety they must have as it relates to dropping a tool, or a bolt/nut from their working height. I know the current roof is strong, but I wonder how puncture resistant it is for sharp-ish falling objects.
Exactly why many were/are concerned about in season work, and liability insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom