the crane the crane | Page 331 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

This picture is awesome when you view the whole thing

can't wait to see the tunnel entrance

This place is going to be so badass...

EirGMy3XYAYMWw0.jpg

Last edited:

By the way, I work at the University of Washington and UW renovated Husky Stadium a few years ago spending over $200 million (or twice what SU has spent so far). The vast majority of seats are still aluminum bleachers with no backs. I've also been to almost 50 Division 1 college football stadiums over the years including big name schools like Florida State, UNC, USC etc. and this is the typical seating you see everywhere. For people that think Syracuse is terrible for not having better seats, they don't know that outside of NFL stadiums, this is pretty much standard.

Good point, I agree, but part of the problem is the Dome's hybrid role. Backless benches are almost universal in college football, but they're pretty much unheard of in basketball. So it's not well received when, say, fans lay out decent money for three NCAA regional games and find themselves surprised by their seating arrangements (to say nothing of season ticketholders who deal with it for 20 games). Gross's seatback option was a nice upgrade, but as you note, that might be the best we can expect upstairs.

Those that were so concerned that the scoreboard was hanging too low can relax. It looks to be over 100 feet above the playing field now.

You can really see the concave shape of the 4 main scoreboards in this photo, and the 10 foot boards installed diagonally where the 4 corners would be. I was not expecting the scoreboard to be open in the middle, which gives people the ability to see whatever is being played displayed on the opposite side of the scoreboard.

Nice!
The new scoreboard is hereby named THE SYRACUSE BAGEL! <stadium announcer> "Ladies and gentlemen, please direct your attention to the Bagel..." :p

Looks like they have added tarps around the first few rows. Could be a sign they are preparing to allow limited fans in for October games if the Bills get it for the Chiefs game.

Looks like they have added tarps around the first few rows. Could be a sign they are preparing to allow limited fans in for October games if the Bills get it for the Chiefs game.

Other schools went with colored tarps, and signage. Did we just go plain white? Ugh. Is that so the colored LEDs can do their thing? I have to think during play, those can't be on.

Maybe a little LED light show for a TD?

Probably to sell advertising on the tarps and put a logo on it and make some extra $$

They spent $5 Billion for their new stadium. I'm guessing that their new scoreboard cost more than our entire renovation.

You made the comparison, not me. Your comment about it being just a "little smaller" than SoFi's is untrue and laughable.

In regards to your subsequent -moving the goalposts- comment, you are probably correct in regards to the cost, however, the actually cost hasn't been formally released. Only that the Dallas Cowboys video board in '09 was $40 million & SoFi's is 3 times the size, along with additional features/frills. Therefore, it's indeed probable that the new SoFi video board is in excess of $120 million.