the crane the crane | Page 346 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

isnt this why they tell you to leave the old roof on when you lay down the new shingles?
It helps if your roof is leak free at the time.

The downside is you can only do it once and the next roofing job will be a mess the next time.

I agree with DoubleDee but it is done mainly to save time and money...but it also "kicks the can down the road". It can also mask issues which can get worse.

It helps if your roof is leak free at the time.

The downside is you can only do it once and the next roofing job will be a mess the next time.

I agree with DoubleDee but it is done mainly to save time and money...but it also "kicks the can down the road". It can also mask issues which can get worse.

No warranty and diminishes the life of the new roof as well by at least 50%. It's just a bad idea. Tear it off and with architectural shingles versus 3 tab which nobody really uses anymore. Roofing is nothing but blow and go with a bunch of air guns once you make sure you are flashed in properly. Young mans game though.

No warranty and diminishes the life of the new roof as well by at least 50%. It's just a bad idea. Tear it off and with architectural shingles versus 3 tab which nobody really uses anymore. Roofing is nothing but blow and go with a bunch of air guns once you make sure you are flashed in properly. Young mans game though.
Cover the shingles with a metal roof. Boom

Surprisingly 3 tabs are more money now, and provide way less warranty. By rule or code or whatever you want to call it, you’re allowed 3 layers, meaning you can reroof twice. I’ve heard of six layers on top of cedar shake. At that point you’re paying your roofer more for tear off than install probably. But yes about the warranty. And with today’s products it’s your best bet to tear off and be dried in properly especially in our climate.

091520a.jpg

If you think about it, the section of the roof that is leaking has to be PTFE. The PTFE section of the roof has a spur on its diamond shape that extends directly west and has to extend over the basketball court and well past that.

I am not sure how those PTFE sections are connected (maybe metal clamps holding the seams of adjacent sections together)?

But it has to be a lot easier to fix leaks in the PTFE section than the hard shell section. The the damage the leak is causing should be minimal.

The forecast for tonight on weather.com has a 0% chance of rain, so we should be okay for the game regardless of whether the leak has been fixed or not.

Saturday might be more of a problem. 25% chance of rain as of today.

Serious question - is this very likely something they can address in the very near future, making it a non issue for the long term? Or is this a real risk this can be a chronic issue, with new leaks constantly springing up for months and years to com?

Uh no, they don’t say that. It’s done, but definitely not suggested.

It is absolutely OK to put new shingles over a layer of old ones, if that roof is still in OK shape.

It’s also a LOT cheaper, and adds a slight amount of insulation to your house.

I worked for a roofer for a year or so after college while I was in between “real” jobs.

The 2 types of roof jobs are “up and over” and “rip-off”.

“Up and over” is going over the original layer of shingles. It is quick and ‘cheaper’.

“Rip-off” means you have to remove the existing layer(s) of shingles, using tools that look like a flat shovel with large ‘teeth’ at the end. You then have to collect all of that debris in a roll-off dumpster, and haul it away.
It probably costs 2-3x more to do this, due to labor costs & the dumpster & dump fees.

It is absolutely OK to put new shingles over a layer of old ones, if that roof is still in OK shape.

I worked for a roofer for a year or so after college while I was in between “real” jobs.

“Up and over” is going over the original layer of shingles. It is quick and ‘cheaper’.

“Rip-off” means you have to remove the existing layer(s) of shingles, using tools that look like a flat shovel with large ‘teeth’ at the end. You then have to collect all of that debris in a roll-off dumpster, and haul it away.
It probably costs 2-3x more to do this, due to labor costs & the dumpster & dump fees.
Well by they, I mean roofing manufacturers. I spend all day selling to roofers, so I know when and why they do it. Nothing beats the all new option.

Serious question - is this very likely something they can address in the very near future, making it a non issue for the long term? Or is this a real risk this can be a chronic issue, with new leaks constantly springing up for months and years to com?

Hopefully it's not a chronic thing, but I can see this possibly being the case due to the seemingly problematic design of the hodgepodge roof. I believe (if I recall correctly) there were concerns of leakage sometime after the initial design was made public and prior to construction, which resulted in related revisions.

Paid for college roofing. What he said. ;-)

Should you do it yourself, and decide not to strip it? Cut the tabs off the 3rd row from the bottom, as it gives a smooth flat transition. (Otherwise its 4 shingles(upside downer + starter × 2, going to 2 shingles) Cutting that gives a 4,3,2 flat transition. Use C style drip edge, and you're good to go.

Some town building codes allow 3 layers. Others, only 2.

I'd never want a metal roof, due to noise. I have friends that say it wakes them up in the middle of the night when it rains.

Winter shows usually play in NBA/NHL arenas.

Not too many traveling winter shows that are so large they need an NFL stadium anymore.

those days are over, and the bands that play those kinds of places, don't come here

those days are over, and the bands that play those kinds of places, don't come here

To be fair, they didn’t come to the Carrier Dome because it was a huge PIA to bring in equipment due to the forced air. They weren’t able to just drive trucks into the dome and drop off equipment. With the new roof they now can do such a thing.

I mean lake view pulls in some big concerts, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the dome host a couple for those people that get the itch to go to a concert in the winter.

To be fair, they didn’t come to the Carrier Dome because it was a huge PIA to bring in equipment due to the forced air. They weren’t able to just drive trucks into the dome and drop off equipment. With the new roof they now can do such a thing.

I mean lake view pulls in some big concerts, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the dome host a couple for those people that get the itch to go to a concert in the winter.
I attended many concerts in the Dome and would love to do more if/when they schedule them. Last one, I believe, was Sir Paul McCartney in front of a huge crowd.

I’m hearing that they have confirmed on some sort of volunteer call that the troughs will likely be gone by the time fans are back next fall. I personally am thrilled although will miss the game of “what the hell is that floating by and how did it ... get there?!”

Has anyone else heard this as definitive?

I’m hearing that they have confirmed on some sort of volunteer call that the troughs will likely be gone by the time fans are back next fall. I personally am thrilled although will miss the game of “what the hell is that floating by and how did it ... get there?!”

Has anyone else heard this as definitive?
Noooooo!

unfortunately, in 2020, there is no technology known to man that can fix a leaking roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom