the crane the crane | Page 357 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

People are asking why it isn’t internally lit and visible from the highway 24/7. It’s a college campus with about 4 or more student housing facilities that would be negatively affected by that. I may be wrong but I honestly don’t know of another on-campus stadium that has an illuminated brand name on it. When it was Carrier, it was unlit bronze lettering on the side of the building

View attachment 225923

Idk how many college arenas have corporate sponsored arenas/stadiums, but here’s one that I know of on the Maryland campus:

1678632281679.jpeg

OT: Was driving home to MD from hockey tournament couple weeks ago and passed a Musco Lighting truck. Was gonna follow it to see where it was going but he was going to slow...
I know a certain poster here who would be happy to hear the truck was driving safely.

GoCuse14

Idk how many college arenas have corporate sponsored arenas/stadiums, but here’s one that I know of on the Maryland campus:

View attachment 225931
So, it’s not internally lit, which is what I was expressing concern about. What highway can or can’t you see this from? And for the record, this is not what I would look to as an example of what we should be aspiring to. Maryland is one of the ugliest campuses I’ve seen and worked on.

I don’t recall seeing big glowing “Victoria’s Secret” on the Horseshoe at OSU even though Wexner is a big donor. The big “M” on the back of the scoreboard at the big house doesn’t glow. I don’t think I’ve seen the neon outline around touchdown Jesus, or a “Mobil” sign emblazoned on Daryl K Royal Stadium or even Boone Pickens, and that’s where I might expect it. In fact, the Citgo sign is about the only example of an internally lit billboard that is well integrated into a neighborhood and Game-day experience, and it’s on the other side of the highway from the stadium (not a college campus and only impacting a hotel or two).

I assume you and I were on opposite sides of the discussion about the new sign at the end of University Ave. too. I have no interest in my alma mater and the campus becoming Times Square or the Vegas Strip. I am happy to leave that to Rutgers and Maryland.

Last edited:
So, it’s not internally lit, which is what I was expressing concern about. What highway can or can’t you see this from? And for the record, this is not what I would look to as an example of what we should be aspiring to. Maryland is one of the ugliest campuses I’ve seen and worked on.

I don’t recall seeing big glowing “Victoria’s Secret” on the Horseshoe at OSU even though Wexner is a big donor. The big “M” on the back of the scoreboard at the big house doesn’t glow. I don’t think I’ve seen the neon outline around touchdown Jesus, or a “Mobile” sign emblazoned on Daryl K Royal Stadium or even Boone Pickens, and that’s where I might expect it. In fact, the Citgo sign is about the only example of an internally lit billboard that is well integrated into a neighborhood and Game-day experience, and it’s on the other side of the highway from the stadium (not a college campus and only impacting a hotel or two).

I assume you and I were on opposite sides of the discussion about the new sign at the end of University Ave. too. I have no interest in my alma mater and the campus becoming Times Square or the Vegas Strip. I am happy to leave that to Rutgers and Maryland.

The JMA sign is not internally lit, unless I missed something. Not sure what the highway has to do with anything, especially since it will likely be gone sooner than later.

Corporate stadium sponsors in 2023 expect prominent signage in exchange for their major investments. That’s the reality of things.

Here’s Cincy’s on campus arena:

1678652025536.jpeg

Bank United Center on Miami’s campus:

1678652116960.jpeg

Colonial Life Arena on South Carolina’s campus:

1678652634854.jpeg

I know a certain poster here who would be happy to hear the truck was driving safely.

GoCuse14
I couldn't remember who said they worked at Musco. But that is why I posted it. And they were driving very safely. Obeying the speed limit in the right lane.

The JMA sign is not internally lit, unless I missed something. Not sure what the highway has to do with anything, especially since it will likely be gone sooner than later.
The dialogue you are reacting to and now leading was about it being internally lit and visible from 81. You missed something. Thanks for being under informed and taking the offensive.

The dialogue you are reacting to and now leading was about it being internally lit and visible from 81. You missed something. Thanks for being under informed and taking the offensive.

You said you don’t know of any other examples of on campus stadiums with internally lit corporate signs. I just gave you three easily findable examples. I’m not advocating that the JMA sign should be, but if it was, it wouldn’t exactly be outside the norm.

Btw those three examples I shared all have one thing in common: urban campuses in densely populated areas where that type of signage is not out of place compared to its surroundings.

Corporate stadium sponsors in 2023 expect prominent signage in exchange for their major investments. That’s the reality of things.

Here’s Cincy’s on campus arena:

View attachment 225944

Bank United Center on Miami’s campus:

View attachment 225945

Colonial Life Arena on South Carolina’s campus:

View attachment 225946
OK, I will bite one more time. Cincinnati is maybe your best example. Miami’s is not internally lit, it’s back lit, and it’s at the scale of a person, where the JMA sign is the size of a house. South Carolina’s is flanked on each side with the school logo. All are basketball arenas, and not the D1 football stadiums you originally referenced, but because ours is both, I give you this argument. Miami’s arena is in the sports district of their campus, the equivalent of Manley and the Lampe complex. South Carolina’s is about as off campus as on campus can be and is fully surrounded by full city block parking, a solid 15 minutes from the quad, where as our arena is visible from the quad. Cincy is also in a sports district on the dense urban campus. It’s not far from their quad, so there’s that. The signage in your picture is from a small urban park that is in the outfield of the baseball stadium and faces the football practice fields. It’s also pretty small and isolated. Again, it’s as simple as “we won’t agree” but I am enjoying the investigation some, so I’m happy to continue the conversation. I worked on a building at UC (at the Medical Campus) and like the campus, but it is very “contemporary” when compared to most college campuses, so there needs to be a grain of salt with that as an example.
1678658175190.jpeg

OK, I will bite one more time. Cincinnati is maybe your best example. Miami’s is not internally lit, it’s back lit, and it’s at the scale of a person, where the JMA sign is the size of a house. South Carolina’s is flanked on each side with the school logo. All are basketball arenas, and not the D1 football stadiums you originally referenced, but because ours is both, I give you this argument. Miami’s arena is in the sports district of their campus, the equivalent of Manley and the Lampe complex. South Carolina’s is about as off campus as on campus can be and is fully surrounded by full city block parking, a solid 15 minutes from the quad, where as our arena is visible from the quad. Cincy is also in a sports district on the dense urban campus. It’s not far from their quad, so there’s that. The signage in your picture is from a small urban park that is in the outfield of the baseball stadium and faces the football practice fields. It’s also pretty small and isolated. Again, it’s as simple as “we won’t agree” but I am enjoying the investigation some, so I’m happy to continue the conversation. I worked on a building at UC (at the Medical Campus) and like the campus, but it is very “contemporary” when compared to most college campuses, so there needs to be a grain of salt with that as an example.
View attachment 225947

I don’t love the corporate signage but I recognize it’s a necessary evil. I’m far more offended by the visually disastrous exterior of the new law school building and by the fact that Ernie Davis’ name graces perhaps the ugliest building on any college campus in the country.

I don’t love the corporate signage but I recognize it’s a necessary evil. I’m far more offended by the visually disastrous exterior of the new law school building and by the fact that Ernie Davis’ name graces perhaps the ugliest building on any college campus in the country.
Both designs by SU alumni.

Be interesting to see if the Dome Stomp will still work after all the upgrades are finished
I would think if you tried it under the JMA sign (I think it is possible there), if anything, the effect would be amplified somewhat.

I think the sound waves made by your feet radiate up to the undercarriage of the roof and get reflected back down, kept largely intact by the fluting on the sides of the walls. That is what creates the sound effect.

Some of the sound waves radiate away from the wall and are lost. But the massive sign should retain some of those sound waves that would have otherwise been lost.

This is something that needs to be tested, videoed and posted on this site. Where is Ben Burtt Jr when you need him the most?

its been quiet for awhile on the whole wifi/5g project front. With commencement coming up I wonder if we get an update before all those parents come back and wonder why they have no service

its been quiet for awhile on the whole wifi/5g project front. With commencement coming up I wonder if we get an update before all those parents come back and wonder why they have no service
Tomcat had an update in his recap, but it didn't fit your narrative so you conveniently missed it.

Tomcat had an update in his recap, but it didn't fit your narrative so you conveniently missed it.

Whats my narrative again?

I saw it and he felt it worked well with 2k in the building.. Not sure that was ever the question. But thats hardly an update on the issue at hand if no one is sitting in the seats that have the worst issue which is the majority of the upperdeck and the concourses.

Whats my narrative again?

I saw it and he felt it worked well with 2k in the building.. Not sure that was ever the question. But thats hardly an update on the issue at hand if no one is sitting in the seats that have the worst issue which is the majority of the upperdeck and the concourses.
Let's just say you seem to have struggles with technology that others don't whether it's streaming, wifi or working virtually because your company didn't prepare properly etc etc.

But congrats on actually figuring out how to respond to my post correctly, so that's progress.

Let's just say you seem to have struggles with technology that others don't whether it's streaming, wifi or working virtually because your company didn't prepare properly etc etc.

But congrats on actually figuring out how to respond to my post correctly, so that's progress.
yeah..

And I am probably as techie as anyone on here in the day to day job and what I have to deal with.

I am put on alot of projects because I tend to find the way things will break.

For all the tech in the world its crazy how much of it is broken in ways that would scare people if they looked under the covers.

Cell phone/Wifi are probably two of the worst managed services that people will use the most and it could all be so much better. things have gotten way too big too fast for most of these services to every catch up..

Just ask AMAZON.. who doesnt use AWS these days. its in pretty bad shape.

yeah..

And I am probably as techie as anyone on here in the day to day job and what I have to deal with.

I am put on alot of projects because I tend to find the way things will break.

For all the tech in the world its crazy how much of it is broken in ways that would scare people if they looked under the covers.

Cell phone/Wifi are probably two of the worst managed services that people will use the most and it could all be so much better. things have gotten way too big too fast for most of these services to every catch up..

Just ask AMAZON.. who doesnt use AWS these days. its in pretty bad shape.
My apologies that I got personal there. I shouldn't have done that. I just get tired of the negativity and your comment about parents coming back wondering why they have no service struck a nerve.

My apologies that I got personal there. I shouldn't have done that. I just get tired of the negativity and your comment about parents coming back wondering why they have no service struck a nerve.
I was just trying to be factual. I have to deal with these issues all the time on a college campus. If they fixed the issues they should get the news out.. If they have not, they should let people know for large gatherings so people get less frustrated. This is why you have a communications office at places like this.
No different than if a parking lot is going to be an issue, reach out and let people know.

Like did they work on the sound issues. I would think they have some idea on how to make it better, but I havent been in the Dome since football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom