the crane the crane | Page 355 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Gimme an A...

That red crane was laid flat Friday night for the men’s lax game. There were high winds (and if you happened to be parked west of the stadium, like me and most of the crowd, the wind was spitting sleet in your face, with ice particles coming hard and heavy. Not a good surprise leaving the dome.

This is a big crane so to lay it down, they put an oversized flatbed on Forestry Drive, on the opposite side of the street from stadium control, put a pile of railroad ties on the flatbed, then rested the end of the crane there. It was an interesting use of real estate but it worked.

As of Friday night, the only letter that had support rods installed to hold it in was A. It is actually going to look pretty cool. I think. And the only letter I saw on site earlier in the week was A.

It does not look like the letter is illuminated so I am guessing that will also install some lighting so you can see the logo at night. Based on how long A is taking, this might not get done for a couple more weeks.

Through the A has the waves above it, and the other letters do not. So they should be a little easier to manage.

32 tons.. hope they allowed for that when they put in the new trusses
Pete Sala said they over engineered the weight the new roof/crown truss can hold so much that if an entire winter of snow fell on it and none of it melted all winter, all that weight could be supported.

The new signage should be a drop in the bucket compared to all that snow….

Let’s be glad they didn’t go cheap and spray paint the letters on the concrete. I can still hear Jake saying the sign would be too heavy…

Let’s be glad they didn’t go cheap and spray paint the letters on the concrete. I can still hear Jake saying the sign would be too heavy…
If I remember correctly, the contract signed from with JMA runs for 10 years. If the size and money invested in these signs is any indication, JMA and SU are going to work together for a long while….

B24134F2-4836-4E30-A182-D13B488AC5F8.jpeg

Are we sure this is not a new deal with Marvel for the dome to be the new Avengers’ headquarters?

• The westward-facing sign will be attached to the crown-truss portion of the JMA Dome’s roof and will be 2,220 square feet, approximately the same size as two basketball courts.
  • It will stand approximately 200 feet off the ground and become one of the largest stadium signs in the country.
  • It will weigh in at 68,500 pounds, which translates to 32 tons or the weight of 17 cars.
  • Standing 47 feet tall, including the JMA rings, it will be slightly taller than the iconic Hollywood sign in California.
  • The letters alone will be 25 feet tall. The A from the bottom to the top of the rings above the letter will reach 47 feet high. The entire sign on top of the dome will be 68 feet in length.
  • Two cranes are required for the installation due to the size and sheer mass of the signs.

This was put up in November, but I’m not sure I saw it posted here. Really cool behind the scenes look at the project.

Lots of nice shots and sentiments in there. Glad it was as much of a thrill for the workers to put up as for us to follow here.

Was almost expecting someone to mention the project was also being followed avidly on the Internet on a daily basis and give us a shout out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom