the crane the crane | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The outside isnt going to look great. The inside will hopefully make up for it.
I don't remember hearing anything but are there any plans to light up the truss? Some external lighting would make it pop a little. Would be cool if you had LED lighting on the truss that changed colors. This has probably been discussed in this or another thread - but I am lazy.

Is anyone else getting a nighttime image tight now
Nope, be sure to click on the image/link to take you to the actual stream. Here’s what I see now (2 girders waiting to be moved from their trucks to the construction site):

2818FC18-067F-4439-A854-1E4E4696AB1D.jpeg

Originally they said it would move horizontally. Has it been 100% determined that that is scrapped?

From August article:
A new four-sided hanging scoreboard will be added along with the roof, which will have a “wow factor” for the fans, Wildhack said in April. The scoreboard may be portable — SU could move it to the center of the Dome for football games or to the side for basketball games. "

It would not be surprising to me if they changed that due to complexity of supporting it as it moved but I have not heard it was definitively changed.
Yes, too big of a hurdle right now. Only planned to go vertical at this point. Horizontal might be incorporated down the road.

Stuff happening today. Looks like the short spiral steel column wedged between the outer yard fence and the black fence on concrete closest to the street is going to be brought in - least it looks like the crew is working on setting it up to bring it in the yard. Then the box girder will have to be off loaded into the yard. The large diameter column behind the white crane is going up where?

surprised our "friends" at the sub standard that mine this board for articles haven't written a piece about this thread

just how hard is it to rig up something to move 4 80" tvs around on a pulley system?

I have to imagine these 4 TV screens are much larger than 80" for a football stadium score board. I mean, I've a 75" in my large rec/bonus room and it doesn't overwhelm it. The link from Geiger's site relative to one they did somewhat recently in a different venue is something I'm envisioning. As other's have mentioned though, other than it being Fuccillo type 'huge,' nothing has come out relative to actual specs.

The white crane just lifted a red carrier over by the remaining counterweights and all work stopped - lunch?
Walt is moving a piece of ?up.

tomcat if you are nearby do you know what Walt is lifting - must be thin steel.

ah, it is part of the triangular pieces that are attached to the Dome that helps keep the columns/girders in tension or a brace to support the crown truss I think please let me know.

there is a crewman out on the point of the horizontal triangle and also one climbing the bow girder so I guess the new pieces is a support /brace attached from the horizontal to the closest work completed of the crown truss. Watching the guy up top I didn't see any safety line but there must be one. The crew is being raised and lowered on the far side by one of the smaller bucket loaders

The white crane in Walt's yard has backed into the corner I am guessing to allow space for the girder and hopefully more deliverable products need for this project or just to get out of the way.

ah, it is part of the triangular pieces that are attached to the Dome that helps keep the columns/girders in tension or a brace to support the crown truss I think please let me know.
There is a much thicker bendy strip of metal that they use to help secure the crown truss to the back stay steel. I have talked about it before. That is what they are putting in place now. It is noticeably thicker than the normal cables and is clearly not cable. It is somewhere between a cable and a piece of rigid steel...

At 1:49 P.M. they have positioned the thin steel brace from the horizontal triangle to the box girder or are in the process. Thanks tom - bendy piece of metal to be used as a brace.

Do we think they are swinging around the corner (towards the South) from the next triangular section?

The next 2 weeks doesn't look great weather wise. Only about half the days are somewhat decent. A heavy snow with any sort of ice could really slow things down. I'm starting to think March 15th to April 1st is a more realistic for completion

Last edited:
I know this is construction but it is amazing to me how the length of the bendy strip was determined so it would be exactly the length required to reach from the back stay to the Crown Truss. How do you determine the exact length needed manufacture it transport it and it goes into place perfectly as far as I know right now?

Last edited:
A red carrier going up just hanging there till it's needed - still wish there was a zoom feature supplied by Hayner of the University sure would come in handy today!

Last edited:
I know this is construction but it is amazing to me how the length of the bendy strip was determined so it would be exactly the length required to reach from the back stay to the Crown Truss. How do you determine the exact length needed manufacture it transport it and it goes into place perfectly as far as I know right now.
There is a lot of precision made custom parts in the crown truss. They are surely using cad tools to do the design and using those 3D drawings to fabricate the parts. It is an ambitious undertaking.

ummm…. the bendy part is now being raised by Walter - didn't fit exactly? The crew is still up in the bucket maybe just a minimal fix to the back stay attachment? Walt now lowering the bendy steel part fully to the ground in the yard.

Last edited:
I know this is construction but it is amazing to me how the length of the bendy strip was determined so it would be exactly the length required to reach from the back stay to the Crown Truss. How do you determine the exact length needed manufacture it transport it and it goes into place perfectly as far as I know right now?
Math

Looks like there is now a cable going from the farthest point of the back stay to the girder. I hadn't seen it before. Looks like a substantial cable that will be in place for a long time. Maybe the bendy part was just a guide for the cable placement? Of course this solution is coming from another person who knows nothing about cables, back stays or anything else. That's why we need Matt Damon to figure things out for us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom