the crane the crane | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Looks like they're done for today with the prep work on the East side.
One girder was moved out of sight by the South East corner. I suspect they may have a small storage area behind Archbold somewhere. This is a longer girder. I would not be surprised if this girder is going to go up on the East side of the Dome, connecting to the existing 3 girders.

Looks like they're done for today with the prep work on the East side.
One girder was moved out of sight by the South East corner. I suspect they may have a small storage area behind Archbold somewhere. This is a longer girder. I would not be surprised if this girder is going to go up on the East side of the Dome, connecting to the existing 3 girders.

yep, time to set up security stations for the game tonight.

The white crane has moved forward out of its corner behind Walt and is looking for something to do. Think we are about to see the newly arrived box girder offloaded. Wrong, the box girder was just taken to Hendricks field and I would guess it will be left on top of the trailer while the cab bob-tails it's way back to Montreal - OR they have a crane large enough to off load it in the storage area. Another trailer just left without it's girder and trailer thus my assumption.

Last edited:
Speedy delivery! Another spiral steel column(s) has just arrived! These guys have things down to the minute. Great crew - great work we should stop worrying about the Dome being finished on time IMHO

Looking forward to the day when East meets West
SJM-L-RAILROAD-0428-05.jpg

still wondering why this side has some much extra scaffold work being done compared to the other side.

Because you all named the main crane frame Walter it has made me want to call "the other one" Jesse because of the effect breaking bad has had on my life. What say you?

I know this is construction but it is amazing to me how the length of the bendy strip was determined so it would be exactly the length required to reach from the back stay to the Crown Truss. How do you determine the exact length needed manufacture it transport it and it goes into place perfectly as far as I know right now?

It's done the same way as smaller projects. Everything is designed, drawn in CAD, and then manufactured to the drawings. If it is an accurate representation in CAD, the components can be manufactured and measured. If it is assembled correctly, they will fit. Just a lot larger scale....

still wondering why this side has some much extra scaffold work being done compared to the other side.
I think this is because they can use ground based people movers (I don’t know the technical name) on the east side.

On the west (Irving) side, on the downside of the hill, those ground based transport thingees have a lot further to go to get people to the same relative height on the crown truss.It might be an extra 40 or 60 feet.

Last edited:
Didn't Sala say that Walt would have to be broken down and moved to the other side of the Dome at some point to begin that side?

Wonder how long that will take, then have to actually do the work.

Nice thing about the truss is that we will actually have a structure we can appreciate at ground level. The dome always looked weird when you approach to enter it because we can’t see any of the bubble from that angle.

Do we think they are swinging around the corner (towards the South) from the next triangular section?

The next 2 weeks doesn't look great weather wise. Only about half the days are somewhat decent. A heavy snow with any sort of ice could really slow things down. I'm starting to think March 15th to April 1st is a more realistic for completion
I think the best way to anticipate where the next pieces will go up is to look at where they have installed back stay steel. They can’t put the crown truss up without back stay steel to hold it in place.

Based on that, they are going to bridge the gap between the two corners next. They have the back stays in place, ready to go to make this happen.

There is a place for one big back stay in the middle of the east and west walls. We know they haven’t done anything to the west wall yet. We can see a lot of activity with that white crane on the east wall but can’t see the wall. I suspect they might be putting back stays up there but can’t tell. Maybe Bees can one through with a picture or two? Based on the limited action I could see, they might have a couple back stays in the process of being installed. Don’t know why there would be so much activity over there unless it was back stay related.