the crane the crane | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I could be wrong but I thought they won’t deflate until after the new roof is up?
maybe but i was basing it on this

Sala said that the current project schedule calls for the old roof to be taken down in either the first or second week of March. The Syracuse athletic department has said it will vacate the Carrier Dome on March 1 to allow for that. no way the new roof was ever gonna be in place by march . this was an Oct update.

Given the length of those spirals, I would guess they are going on the endzone side of the northeast corner. Towards the Barnes Center. One assumes they are going to have back stays in place on the east side before the west side. Might have already been done...
So tom, it seems obvious that the northeast side will be worked and installed before anything on the west? Just selfishly hoping something would get started above Walt's yard. Guess patience prevails here.

maybe but i was basing it on this

Sala said that the current project schedule calls for the old roof to be taken down in either the first or second week of March. The Syracuse athletic department has said it will vacate the Carrier Dome on March 1 to allow for that. no way the new roof was ever gonna be in place by march . this was an Oct update.

the new roof goes up then the old roof comes down from inside.

There are two crew in the bucket against the dome - saw them moving around wonder what they are doing?
Whatever it was they're done.

the new roof goes up then the old roof comes down from inside.
so what he said in oct is wrong? if the new roof is up and the old roof comes down then, they whats the other 5 months for in the project? they wouldnt even have the ring done by march 1st let alone the roof up? are they gonna build the roof in 4 weeks?

i agree the timeline seems fuzzy . one says roof coming down early march. one says new roof completed early march?

oct update

just seemed to me they would take it down and build from the inside too with the smaller cranes?

getting the ring done by march seems aggressive enough

so what he said in oct is wrong? if the new roof is up and the old roof comes down then, they whats the other 5 months for in the project? they wouldnt even have the ring done by march 1st let alone the roof up? are they gonna build the roof in 4 weeks?
lighting, sound, scoreboard, other enhancements,. Like will take a long time inside, under the new roof. What he said in October is right. New roof is planned for March. They will have the ring done by March.

so what he said in oct is wrong?
Sala said the crown truss was going to be completed in January back then too. I think he opted to go with a wildly optimistic timeline, at least in part to justify the movement of the lacrosse home games (men and women) to other venues.

Personally, I think there is probably some room for delays in what needs to be done after the new roof is up. I think Sala said it would take one to two weeks to remove the old roof and then, in theory, all that is needed is to install the new sound, lighting and wifi systems and the center scoreboard.

I would think they will probably try and do something to repurpose the fans formerly used to keep the air pressure and roof up, so the construction crew working in the heat of summer has some relief, as well as the crowds for games earlier each football season.

They are supposed to make a connection between the Barnes Center and the dome as well that Sala said will 'triple the width of the concourse'. That involves making an opening in the eastern wall.

I have heard talk that they might remove the aluminum benches and seating before taking the old roof out. It is going to be a bear to do this from the inside. There are a lot of heavy steel cables that need to be removed very carefully or seating and/or concrete, maybe private boxes, are going to be wrecked.

Anyway, it probably is still possible to get the facility ready for game one, even if the new roof isn't finished until April. Worst case, wifi or sound won't be top notch. We have lived with that since 1980. Not that big of a deal.

So tom, it seems obvious that the northeast side will be worked and installed before anything on the west? Just selfishly hoping something would get started above Walt's yard. Guess patience prevails here.
Everything I have seen to date indicates that the western wall will be the last part of the crown truss to be completed. I suspect it has to do with the ground on the western side of the dome being so much lower than the other sides of the building. They can't use the normal people movers (we are already seeing that) and I think the angles and distances will just be tougher to work with. I bet they are thinking it best to go with the easiest parts first, go through their learning curve and then get the toughest stuff last, when they are at their best.

But this is all conjecture on my part.

Weather cooperating. After tomorrows 3-6" the snow is out and the temps slowly increase from 32 to 42 degrees next Friday with sun!

lighting, sound, scoreboard, other enhancements,. Like will take a long time inside, under the new roof. What he said in October is right. New roof is planned for March. They will have the ring done by March.
i get the ring done.. i just done see ring, roof, deflating all done at the same time. maybe the roof goes up pretty quick? weeks seems like hours says spock

Everything I have seen to date indicates that the western wall will be the last part of the crown truss to be completed. I suspect it has to do with the ground on the western side of the dome being so much lower than the other sides of the building. They can't use the normal people movers (we are already seeing that) and I think the angles and distances will just be tougher to work with. I bet they are thinking it best to go with the easiest parts first, go through their learning curve and then get the toughest stuff last, when they are at their best.

But this is all conjecture on my part.
Sounds like the plan...get through the easiest stuff first. If it drags into March at least the weather and more importantly the daylight will improve.

The west wall from my guess will only need two complete triangular truss assemblies.

Sounds like the plan...get through the easiest stuff first. If it drags into March at least the weather and more importantly the daylight will improve.

The west wall from my guess will only need two complete triangular truss assemblies.
If you are talking about back stay triangles, there will be only one on the western and eastern walls, just like there is only one on the north wall and will be only one on the south wall. This is based on the attachment posts already in place for the back stays.

You would think there would be more but I don’t think so.

Looks like a rocket ship is being delivered the way those spiral columns are stacked on that truck.
Looks like a WMD delivery from satellite. Probable cause for a preemptive strike.

Does any one know what the name of the wheeled construction vehicle that just entered Walt's yard is called? It's not a thingee! Very useful though. Always around when you need one.

If you were talking about the yellow vehicle that went in and out I'm pretty sure it was a gradall material handler(Think heavy duty rough terrain forklift). You will see these almost on any large scale construction, new building project. Very handy pieces of equipment for sure.

1579306062801.png

If you were talking about the yellow vehicle that went in and out I'm pretty sure it was a gradall material handler(Think heavy duty rough terrain forklift). You will see these almost on any large scale construction, new building project. Very handy pieces of equipment for sure.

View attachment 175462
Or Johnny Jett from Barnwood builders arrived to remove the old roof with one of these things.

Can we officially, unofficially give Walt’s cousin a name?

I’m going with Willy. Don’t @ me.

If you are talking about back stay triangles, there will be only one on the western and eastern walls, just like there is only one on the north wall and will be only one on the south wall. This is based on the attachment posts already in place for the back stays.

You would think there would be more but I don’t think so.

I sincerely think Syracuse.com should hire you to be a contributing writer on Dome developments.

And I am mostly not kidding.