the crane the crane | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Another Box Girder just arrived on semi. I wonder if they have to clean/wash off all of the debris, mainly the salt from the road spray during transport, prior to hoisting it in place? It appears notably dirtier sitting on the current rig's flatbed than others or the one currently sitting in the work area. I imagine road salt, etc. can't be a good thing staying on steel, even with its pre-painted coating. It may not rain again until May? ;)

Is all the backstay is up along the northern side? If so I'd have to think they will go there next. I did not look the other night prior to game, got stuck in 81 traffic and ran out of time.
Yes, the reason I have been saying they are likely to connect the two sections is because that gap is the only area I know that has a back stay already in place, ready to go. That said, they might have put some back stay steel up on the eastern wall since I last saw it about 2 weeks ago.

Another Box Girder just arrived on semi. I wonder if they have to clean/wash off all of the debris, mainly the salt from the road spray during transport, prior to hoisting it in place? It appears notably dirtier sitting on the current rig's flatbed than others or the one currently sitting in the work area. I imagine road salt, etc. can't be a good thing staying on steel, even with its pre-painted coating. It may not rain again until May? ;)
wow, it's was filthy. I'm surprise they're not tarping them.

Another girder was just delivered along the East side of the Dome. Could be for the North or the East side of the Dome, most likely the North side.

Meanwhile, Walt hoisted some workers along the North West girders to do some tweaking and/or inspecting.

Walt's cousin is moving a girder over the Dome, likely unloaded from the truck that delivered it a little while ago. It appears to be lowered along the North side of the Dome.

Screenshot from 2020-01-17 12-35-01.png

Last edited:
right to work after lunch, Walt lifted 2 crew up and over to the crown truss in the smaller red carrier. They are working again on something in that section. Bright sunny day very low temp. It was 1:09 P.M. when they left the ground. Don't know where the rest of today's crew is maybe opposite side of the Dome away from the live cam.

Walt just hoisted men and equipment to North side, Those guys are fearless. or nuts.

They are definitely nuts for being outside in the cold. That's probably the worse part of it.

The 2 crew are on their way back and there is suddenly activity in Walt's yard. Down to the yard safe.

Another girder was just delivered along the East side of the Dome. Could be for the North or the East side of the Dome, most likely the North side.

Meanwhile, Walt hoisted some workers along the North West girders to do some tweaking and/or inspecting.

Walt's cousin is moving a girder over the Dome, likely unloaded from the truck that delivered it a little while ago. It appears to be lowered along the North side of the Dome.

View attachment 175441
Putting that girder over there is further evidence the next move is to join the two existing sections.

I am pretty sure it is the counterpart to the girder sitting next to Walt.

Expecting them to put up a stand alone spiral just inside the gap on both sides, then bridge it using these girders. With the girders outside the corners, only one diagonal spiral is needed for additional support.

So we aren't too far from being where we only need one girder to bridge the gap.

Cool.

It's a bit difficult to see the crew since the ground has a snow cover but there are about four crew walking around the yard and the door to the red storage shed is open and two crew have been in and out of it taking things over to something in front of the white cranes right front tracks but I can't tell exactly what it is. Walt's hoist cable has been detached from the carrier and raised out of sight.

Now two things, a double sized golf cart thingee used to carry crew and other things is over at the storage area and a crawler with wheels is bringing something into the yard. The cart was quick and has left and gone up the street. The red door to the storage area remains open.

Most of the work has to occurring on the side of the Dome facing Crouse. Every crew member except one has exited Walt's yard or gone into the construction trailer for the time being.

best thing about this process is that when the dome goes down you have about 12 hrs to view the time lapse if you cant watch live

More columns arriving! the driver of the trailer is backing the rig - then moving forward - it's being follwed by a wide load pick up of just a pick up helping to situate the rig. Now the rig with the columns is backing up the street going?

Last edited:
Looks like a rocket ship is being delivered the way those spiral columns are stacked on that truck.

best thing about this process is that when the dome goes down you have about 12 hrs to view the time lapse if you cant watch live
I could be wrong but I thought they won’t deflate until after the new roof is up?

Those columns are very long. Longer than I have seen till now.

Does any one know what the name of the wheeled construction vehicle that just entered Walt's yard is called? It's not a thingee! Very useful though. Always around when you need one.

Dang! Thought those columns were being delivered from Hendricks to Walt's yard and that work would continue on this side so we could watch them go up.

Two crew being lifted by a bucket loader of some kind. Then it looked like the machine was being tested for operational characteristics - now its bucket is up against the side of the Dome? I don't know if there is anyone in it or not?

Last edited:
Dang! Thought those columns were being delivered from Hendricks to Walt's yard and that work would continue on this side so we could watch them go up.
Given the length of those spirals, I would guess they are going on the endzone side of the northeast corner. Towards the Barnes Center. One assumes they are going to have back stays in place on the east side before the west side. Might have already been done...

And there goes the tractor that delivered the newest columns from Hendricks back to Montreal hopefully to get more product.