the crane the crane | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Guesswork here, but it could be that once there is enough load on the truss, it can support itself, as it is inward loaded. I can imagine that would depend a lot on the rigidity of the box girder connections to each other. They would likely want to crunch numbers to make sure that eccentric load capacity is built in, but it’s is possible that they can sequentially chase each end around to the south with less out-rigging. That may speed the process. Again, all guesswork.

"eccentric load capacity" sounds like something either from rocket science or an indie rock band

I know one of the cranesmen/riggers on the project, if I see him this weekend I’m gonna prod.

Didn’t realize he was on the project until he posted some pictures on social media the other day.
Yes! let him know you have several hundred aspiring construction project managers who are very concerned about schedule.

The first spiral column went up November 14th. The first big piece of box girder was installed December 14th. 68 days have past since the box girders started going up. That is about 1 per 8 days. If they keep at this rate, they will need another 224 days to complete the other 28. That would be September 1st, 2020.

Probably not what they were hoping for.
In my mind they are clearly behind where they anticipated being. Hopefully they can accelerate some because their current pace will be problematic, at least the way I am seeing this.

In my mind they are clearly behind where they anticipated being. Hopefully they can accelerate some because their current pace will be problematic, at least the way I am seeing this.

I think this post belongs in the hoops recruiting thread relative to our 5 spot situation the past several cycles. ;):)

It looks like they are connecting those cables for the 3 spirals last added to the northwest corner grouping this morning. I was wondering why they hadn't been connected yet yesterday. Guess I should be more patient.

Until I see a spiral in the open in front of Walt, I do not expect anything of import to happen regarding getting more box girders up. I would guess the next one to go up with be in northeast grouping. Maybe we will see a spiral go up today to start that process...

Take all this with a grain of salt, but i'm looking at the angle of the connections at the end of each box girder. The angle was pretty significant for the last piece installed on the northwest corner.

I'm guess the piece laying in the yard (w/fairly straight connections) and the one on the truck (slight angle but not nearly as significant as piece they installed the other day) are going to bridge the gap between the 2 corners

I love speculating what comes next.

Last edited:
so do they remove the ends of the box girders when they get joined and we end up with a pretty cool elavated track for the indoor track team?

Compared to some of the others that one seems quite large, but maybe it's the the angle of the camera.

1579716744497.png

Walt's cousin just moved another girder to the North side of the Dome. This is likely destined to be part of the North section of the roller coaster. This must be the girder shown in the picture shared by rrlbees.

Work was done on the backstay of the North West corner. Unclear of the exact nature of the work. Could be strengthening or starting to to remove it. Both Walt and the white crane were involved in this exercise.

Last edited:
It looks like they are connecting those cables for the 3 spirals last added to the northwest corner grouping this morning. I was wondering why they hadn't been connected yet yesterday. Guess I should be more patient.

Until I see a spiral in the open in front of Walt, I do not expect anything of import to happen regarding getting more box girders up. I would guess the next one to go up with be in northeast grouping. Maybe we will see a spiral go up today to start that process...
Nope - crew is done for the day. Impatient and disappointed. :(

Walt’s cousin appears to be getting ready to lift something from the North side of the Dome...
Turns out that he must have just moved some stuff on the ground since nothing went up and h’s back in his usual parked formation. :(

The white crane is up to something on the North West corner but Walt is blocking the view a bit. Nothing major going on there yet.

Last edited:
Walt’s cousin appears to be getting ready to lift something from the North side of the Dome...
Turns out that he must have just moved some stuff on the ground since nothing went up and h’s back in his usual parked formation. :(

The white crane is up to something on the North West corner but Walt is blocking the view a bit. Nothing major going on there yet.
The crane on the eastern side moved a box girder to their staging area in front of the northeast corner wall. Bees will probably put a picture up soon. Hoping there is a spiral already there and we will see the spiral and the box girder go up today.

Meanwhile on the northwest corner, it looks like they are finishing work tightening the last cables. So much shuttling of people to look at that area. I will be a happy man when I see a spiral in front of Walt again. I think that will signify that the work stoppage is finally over.

Poor John Wildhack is having a hell of a time now. Thank God the basketball team has caught fire. He needs that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom